Stems on prime 4

Sorry but I have to disagree with you I think my point was very well articulated. However I wish you the best as well no hard feelings Even if the thread went off topic…haha

Maybe for real time. It might be more possible to apply stems/instrumental separators on certain playlists on Engine DJ desktop software to be pre-processed for utilization later. Different approach but still could be effective

If we would have them pre-made, then it would work maybe. Playback is less cpu intense than real time processing. Traktor has similar approach, with stems for a long time now.

1 Like

You can do stems through Serato 3.0.0 (when it comes out)

Due to the hardware limitations, I think it makes the most sense if the stems for the songs are pre-analyzed in the desktop software and marked with a flag “song has stems”. Then you can export it to your external device. The OS recognizes which songs have stems, and you can use them. This is how VDJ does it. I don’t see any other way if Denon offers the possibility to use stems.

Thank you fof your help. I would love stems and brought the p4 as dont want to use a laptop. Guess il reinvest when a new machine comes out as i would love to have stems.

Thanks all for your advice

@steve246 currently there’s no DJ hardware that does stem separation. It’s software only. I imagine that it will be some years (if at all) before standalone DJ equipment can separate stems.

Pretty late following up on this thread but I am intensely curious about the future of stems on all-in-ones and I would like to understand more about the cpu limitations. Fairly old iPads are able to run Djay’s Neural Mix pretty flawlessly. Like iPads that I can buy on eBay right now for $200. So with admittedly zero technical knowledge here, I just don’t understand why this is seen as impossible on standalones.

Video covering use of Serato stems on Denon DJ equipment:

2 Likes

100% incorrect i can run v2 virtual dj stems on an i5 plus there is the fact running windows os uses alot more system resources than the standalone dj console running just the dj software you would need way less than what you would need on a computer to run stems on a stand alone learn a bit before how any of this actually works before you try to tell people what would need to be done

There is softward inaide the hardware it would take an update ofnthe software with software with the capability thebhardware doesnt matter

I’d imagine it’s more of a walk than a run. Does this PC have a powerful dedicated NVIDIA GPU? If not then the stem analysis must be taking some time (or you’re pre-analysing). When you load a 3 minute track, how long does it take to fully analyse?

100% incorrect. I suggest you practice what you preach. “learn a bit before how any of this actually works before you try to tell people what would need to be done”.

Ok update to my other reply still you do not know what your talking about after testing out v2 stems on virtual dj on a second laptop of mine do you want to lnow what really determines wether it can handle doing it on the fly or having to prepare the stems prior in v2 or it will force it to v1 (which for remixes if your layering really isnt bad just you cant cut everything out and run a single stem and make it sound good but if you singled out a vocal stem from one song and removed the vocal stem of another and layered in v1 you really wouldnt hear a huge difference vs v2 as in v1 the main things is you still have some backround noise and what not) but anyways my computer running just an i5(7 or 8th gen)(gen of processor makes a huge difference a 10th gen i3 out proforms a 5th gen i7) and 8 gb of ram but has a gtx 1650 can run v2 without having to go thru the process of seperating the stems prior and can do it live but my laptop that has a 10th gen i7 and 16 gb of ram but only a mtx250 graphics cards cant do the love stmes proving its actually and i can not explain why as it almost makes no sense to me but the graphics card is more important in stem seperarion on the fly even vdj said when i tried on the second laptop that it was the graphics card that wasnt enough is it something similiar to how mining cryptocurrecy uses a part of the graphics card even though its not graphical idk but the capabilities of if the prime 4 could do stem seperation on the fly apparently comes dpwn to graphics card not ram or processor (now it can 100% without a doubt do v1 virtual dj stem seperation if they wanted to add that basic level of stem seperation but to do the level of v2 virtual dj one of the best on the fly stem seperations apparently come down to the graphics processor not the regular processor or ram)

As you responded to the first thing I fell it shows you relized like I did after some testing gpu makes more of a difference with the stem seperation at least when it comes to say v2 vdj stem seperation the gpu matters more than the cpu or ram i couldnt tell you exactly what part of the gpu is being used to cause this but thru teating is the main hardware causing this and on your second reply i think we both worded things badly it mainly sounded like you were trying to say the hardware itself would need to have stem seperation built in when that is as i was trying to say completely aoftware based while yes the hardware matters stem seperation is completely software based but does the hardware have the capability to run that software correctly is the question so basically you can add to the prime 4 software to allow sten seperation no matter what but to what degree how well will it work dependa on the hardware it is 100% without a doubt possible to add but will it be more like v1 vdj stem seperation with alot of bleed thru and stuff like that or v2 vdj stem seperation cause the hardware handlw that level of seperation obvipusly you can program the software to do ot but would it crash the system for not having enough hardware resources

Ohh and sorry for my typos i dont always have time to go back and check so i just hope what im trying to say gets across well enough as i respond to forums like this in my very little down time

Well, I know how it works. And you don’t know how much resources it actually meeds. All is stated on the website for serato or VDJ. Cpu in denon gear is way different than an i5 or i7.

FWIW, I can read through those, but some punctuation would be nice.

On-topic: Realtime stem separation is an intense processing feature and tbh, I don’t think it will be a feature on the current Primes. The current processing has enough tasks to perform as is (audio for 4 decks, key-pitch, mixer, FX, screen etc.).

1 Like

A bit late to this forum but wondered if we are saying it is GPU intensive as opposed to CPU intensive wondering if there would be the opportunity to have an external GPU to process the stems would rather carry that than a separate laptop also the other idea of attaching the stems to a track and using that previously sound like an achievable option

I think the best way of doing this is to add stem separation to the desktop Engine DJ software, which then creates a stems file package, which the Prime players can play back.

At the speed Denon add stuff though, don’t hold your breath. :slight_smile:

Personally stems are fun to use & I use them just messing about with at home. My i7 2015 MacBook Pro runs way too hot for me to trust using it playing out. Just for example if you look at what the Prime 2/4 can do it’s already amazing. Plays music, streaming & light control all from the hardware, it’s truly ahead of it’s time & guess what… If you want stems just add a laptop, the technology is here & now if you want/need it that badly. That’s what I will be doing once I can trust the software on my laptops

1 Like