Stems on prime 4

A bit late to this forum but wondered if we are saying it is GPU intensive as opposed to CPU intensive wondering if there would be the opportunity to have an external GPU to process the stems would rather carry that than a separate laptop also the other idea of attaching the stems to a track and using that previously sound like an achievable option

I think the best way of doing this is to add stem separation to the desktop Engine DJ software, which then creates a stems file package, which the Prime players can play back.

At the speed Denon add stuff though, don’t hold your breath. :slight_smile:

Personally stems are fun to use & I use them just messing about with at home. My i7 2015 MacBook Pro runs way too hot for me to trust using it playing out. Just for example if you look at what the Prime 2/4 can do it’s already amazing. Plays music, streaming & light control all from the hardware, it’s truly ahead of it’s time & guess what… If you want stems just add a laptop, the technology is here & now if you want/need it that badly. That’s what I will be doing once I can trust the software on my laptops

1 Like

You’ve literally expressed exactly how I see it. I’m shocked that people honestly expect the prime processor to do stems when an i7 Macbook Pro takes strain doing it!

2 Likes

100% my 2015 i7 runs red hot whilst running Serato 3.0.0 I don’t even bother using it as I know it will thermal cut out

Well this aged well

1 Like

Maybe learn from our frackup and wait until they release it to post such a smug useless comment?

If they are having issues like this without stems, we’ll see how they manage to implement stems on top of everything.

I mean it would be possible to implement on any standalone, just it would use a lot more space (a space-time tradeoff in computer science parlance).

If Engine desktop pre-computes the stems during analysis/export and then the hardware stem control just swaps the stem track in in real-time it would definitely be possible on any existing standalone.

The big tradeoff is increased analysis time and increased storage space, although I’m willing to bet that a really good software engineer can reduce the space consumed with some clever compression. Storage is cheap these days as well. The SC6000 series and Prime 4/4+ have support for internal drives were a terabyte of SSD storage can be had for under 50 dollars, and 256 GB flash drives from big name brands are under 20 dollars these days so I think a lot of DJs will find something like that useful and won’t notice the tradeoffs very much.

The computational power is an advantage controllers will always have over anything standalone - unless you’re willing to spend an extra grand or two on top of what these devices already cost for them to essentially put a decent laptop inside a standalone player (which is literally what Ableton did for the standalone Push 3).

I don’t think it’s wise to over use the internal memory. I mean, now with the “realtime wavefoms” and the screen jitter en sound stutter. I think that it will get worse. Still love my prime but the jitter and stutter bugs me a little.

2 Likes

I think you’re getting storage and memory mixed up. A cool analogy I came up with just now is to think of storage like saved cue points - something more permanent than memory which is like the regular floating cue point.

Aside from some edge cases, filling up the storage of a device won’t slow it down, as long as it isn’t full.

There is the negligible memory usage of the stem tracks as well which is something to consider.

There’s no reason why users who would have a problem with this implementation wouldn’t be able to disable it either.

Just my thoughts on a way of bringing Stems to older standalones.

Translated from Spanish:

I see that here they argue about the issue of Stems.

Let’s see, I bought the Prime 4+ exclusively because of the Stems issue and it turns out that there isn’t even a beta available for all Prime 4+ users.

Gentlemen at Denon DJ, you should be considerate of customers and not release private betas where customers can’t even smell the stem you sell when we buy the Prime 4+.

That said… Virtual DJ Stems V1 doesn’t need huge resources to work. But Virtual DJ V2 does require the brute force of a graphics card (not all graphics cards are up to the task).

The 2 or 3 videos that I have been able to see of people who have shown how the Stems work on the Prime 4+, clearly show that the Denon Prime 4+ is running what in Virtual DJ was the V1 of their Stems.

In other words, the Prime 4 can run Virtual DJ Stems V1.

The bad thing is that the Prime 4+ probably has the same power as the Prime 4 and cannot move the Virtual DJ V2 Stems. Being a potato Stems system with channel separation but with dirty noise in the separations.

And not to mention that I can’t even delete the history of the controller or the Playlist that is created every time you load the usb. There is no way to delete it.

It is not logical that I cannot delete the above when, for example, I delete tracks from the USB and when I load it, the tracks appear in red because they no longer exist. Couldn’t you create software that detects that they no longer exist and automatically deletes them? At least, let us delete them manually and don’t force us to show the songs that no longer exist in the default usb playlist.

Is there a translation option here?

Looks like you’ve got several problems there, which each need their own thread for replies , some very short and basic pre-purchase research would have simply and easily avoided your confusion over stems

A post was split to a new topic: My thoughts about Prime4

Done. I’ve just given it ehm a generic topic name…

Translated:

And do you think that this is the answer for someone who has spent a few thousand euros buying “and trusting” the Denon brand?

Wouldn’t it be more correct to look for a solution in which we all had the beta that includes both the stems and the bluetooth in the development phase?

It is these details that make a company or project big or small. How customers who place their trust in the brand are treated, and not blame them for buying their product for not agreeing with certain absurd policies in the development of their software.

And by the way… don’t worry about my purchase because I have almost a month to return it without having to give any justification.

The controller is not bad at all, but there are things that must be polished and a lot.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to the OS Engine DJ code. If I had it, I wouldn’t need it polished because I would already do it.

There are things that are not understood, such as the illumination of the “Sweep FX” buttons.

Seriously, who is the one who thought that lighting is correct? Because either the fault is in my controller or the fault is in whoever thought it was the correct one.

It is almost indistinguishable in the dark when they are activated or not. Needless to say if there is a lot of lighting that falls on the controller.

Wouldn’t it have been more correct, for example, to dim the lighting of these buttons much more when they were deactivated? Or simply change the hue of blue (lighter blue) when they were activated or deactivated?

Then there is the issue of the functionality of the “Key (Tone)” button. There is no way to lock (on/off) the key so that when a new song is loaded it will automatically match the key and thus always maintain the same key without having to hold down the “Key (Tone)” key each time it is played. load a new song or track?.

:us: please.

I’m not going to run your whole reply through a translator again on an English/American forum, but I get the gist.

You’ve got a month to return it, and you claim that you might coz it didn’t have stems fully implimented out-the-box. If you want to return it - return it. You won’t find standalone stems on any other 4 channel device …, and… just to aid you in a weak area, pre-sales research … pioneer are pushing one of their new midi controllers as having a “Dedicated stems button” - its just a midi button that tells your DJ software on your laptop to switch the dj software stems on and off - it’s not some process or hardware within the controller which is doing stems all on its own, so don’t think that that pioneer is a standalone stems device.

You could, instead of all this bravado and anxs, search the forum here and find the thread where InMusic are asking Prime 4 plus owners to sign up for beta testing of the firmware that will have stems. Alternatively you could wait for everyone else to do the beta testing and just get the completed firmware in 2024. Totally your choice - go for it !

I just replied on your other identical thread Antonio

Translated:

That is clear.

Of course, the Prime 4+ has almost the same hardware, if not exactly the same, as the Prime 4. Because both one and the other have difficulty analyzing the new tracks that are loaded on their decks (it analyzes them very slowly). .

Thus, there is no way the Prime 4+ can even beat Virtual DJ Stems version 1.0. Everything will be done by software and not by hardware as used by version 2.0 of Virtual DJ Stems.

Of course, some dedicated little buttons to be able to execute the Stems using, for example, Virtual DJ with its Stems 2.0, would not have been bad at all.

And don’t worry, I have always used the Stems enabling a Pad Mode for said function. I don’t need dedicated buttons although they wouldn’t be bad at all.

This is an international forum. I would kindly ask to translate to English before posting so that EVERYONE here can understand you directly. Most of us are not English native speaking either, we simply adapt. Most browsers support translation to your own native tongue, but the search index and support team is predominantly English based as well.

On that note, I will be deleting all the language comments, if I find the time, as it is all off-topic…

I’ve taken the time to translate a few on-topic post (as forum members’ service), but I’m not going to make a habit of it.