Start of track cut off Engine DJ

Hi all,

I’ve just made the switch over to Denon Sc6000 / Lc6000 set up, after years on Rekordbox.

I’m have a slight issue with some of my tracks, where the first beat is missing or cut in half.

I’ve tried re-analysing and have deleted and reimported my collection. It’s not happening with every track but obviously it makes cueing a little awkward. I’m also pretty particular with this sort of thing so would like to try and resolve.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Happy mixing :sunglasses:

Hi

Some tracks don’t start with the first beat, sometimes there are percussive intros or melodic intros with no beat. DJ software can’t always account for that so will grid the tracks incorrectly. When this happens you’ll have to intervene and adjust the grid yourself, you can do this in either the desktop app whilst preparing or on the device itself when you load it. It’s often just a case of shifting the grid along a bit to realign on electronic music.

2 Likes

Hi Stu thanks for the reply yes,

I do understand this. So you know my level, I’ve been Djing for 20 years plus. Obviously I could be completely new to mixing so appreciate the response!

The issue is that the beats are cut in half or missing. As though the software is simply cutting them out for some reason. For example the first kick drum is missing.

When I’m able to, I will upload a picture as an example. Watch this space.

Here’s a couple of examples, yes beatgrid is off on one track. I’m from a vinyl / cdj background. And cue using a mix of hot cues set on the fly and the jog wheels. Understand I can just try and set the cue point slightly before. It’s just that a my ocd won’t allow it :sunglasses:

Also only just got my new set up so absolutely no clue how many tracks in my collection are effected. It could be two or could be 2000 time will tell.

Engine wouldn’t be physically removing any part of your music, it’s just analysing it. is there a sound on that number 1 beat or is it silent?

I have the 7 minute version of Beachball and it starts on a full beat, and is analysed for that beat so not sure what is going on with yours. I checked the 10 min version on Youtube and it seems it starts with a full beat too.

The second track looks like it needs its grid moving left a touch to re-align.

2 Likes

I thinks a bug from within the software. It’s cutting the beats at the start on certain tracks for some reason.

Currently have them all analysed on my pc for RB not having the same issue. I imported them all via drag n drop from one internal m.2 drive to the software. Can’t see why it would be a problem, but could that be why I’m having issues? It’s not a deal breaker just a slight annoyance.

Yes I did say I need to move beat grid :wink:. It’s not normally something that I bother doing but I shall be sitting down to go through my collection soon.

I do understand that if the beat grid is aligned as it is on beach ball I can just set cue point. It’s just that id rather have a full beat to hear and be on screen. As previously mentioned I like to cue on the fly / via jogs. Also not perfect situation if jumping back to hot cue while mixing, but it’s not a deal breaker!

And yes sorry, where the best has been cut out its silence, which is why it’s a problem.

Also no idea how many tunes in my collection are affected. These are the only two I’ve had time to find so far. Two of my fav classics so I’m bound to have found them first. :sunglasses:

You can set the Track Start Position to “track start” (as opposed to cue position) on the SC6000 via the first Playback option on Shortcuts / User Profile.

The same goes on Engine Desktop on the Settings / Performance page.

Of course, if there is dead space on the beginning of the track, it will play that too.

1 Like

What happens if you delete the file from your library, re-add then analyse again? Same result or repaired?

1 Like

This is really odd because engine won’t be touching the MP3, in the same way as RB it just dresses it up in a nice beatgrid dinner jacket with some extra info on the side for good measure.

There have been issues when importing libraries from RB, but from what you have explained it doesn’t appear that this is what you have done, and also that is more to do with misaligned grids rather than bits of MP3 missing.

Digital rats may have got in and nibbled away (unhelpful sentence of the day).

If you right click the track to pull it up and listen in Windows/Mac is the beat there? Or are you just using this on device only?

1 Like

I have tried, I’m going to give it a go again tonight.

And I will start to sort through my collection once imported to see how many tracks may be affected. I’m praying it’s just 2, but if I’m already seeing 2 after playing around 50 out of a collection of 17000 plus there could be a lot… Hopefully won’t be the case though!

Yes it’s very odd, the audio is all present and correct in the source location and when playing through iTunes/Apple Music.

Yes it appears digital rats have had a nibble lol! Funny you say that because around 10 years ago I made the mistake of putting my vinyl collection in the loft / attic to save space, apparently rodents like trance two…

I’m wondering if this is happening because I’m importing from collection that is stored on a separate internal drive and not the C drive?

Cheers for all replies so far guys, seems to be a good community! Will post the results of my re import when I get around to it. If anyone knows why this happening please don’t hesitate to post, with solution. Thanks :blush:

Could be that engine dj does not like the encoder for those files.

I don’t have a 10 mins Long Beach ball version but I checked on the copies I have, they all started bang on beat.

Just for testing, try reencoding the beach ball again with another converter, to MP3 again and see if it makes a difference

If it’s finding the file, I wouldn’t think that would make a difference.

Yes, the copies of Beachball (Original Club Mix) on YouTube all start, @mufasa says, “bang on beat”. In fact, looking at the wave form it does look like the beginning of the downbeat is missing. It should have started on the one. Does it look the same in Rekordbox?

Any software recommendations for re encoding ? It’s not something I’ve ever looked into.

I’ve reach my maximum replies a new user can make? Lol :joy:

So will reply here via edit.

I just checked all fine in RB. Anyone know how I import my collection directly over from RB to engine? I’m going to need to because Engines analysis clearly isn’t as good or has issues for me ( yes I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled )

I’m dropping tracks into player on pc it appears every other track is not analysed properly. I’m finding multiple instances of beats being eaten by digital rats ( they just aren’t there ? )… I have thousands of tracks it would take years to do manual beat grid shifts.

There is an option for RB import but nothing shows up.

Thanks again for replies guys.

@mufasa thanks, I’ll give it a go. I’m going to just delete my current engine library. Any issues I should be aware of when reconnecting my Sc6000 to move the new library over?

Is it best to reformat my sc6000’s ssd first? I don’t want duplicates :wink:.

Also before I do it. Does Engine re analyse RB imports or will the beat grids wave forms be the exact same as in RB? Because if engine has to re analyse it might not be worth my time. I’m going to try anyway.

This is all a bit of a pain tbh. I’m no fan boy I left RB because my ddj RX kept crashing. I researched and reputable sources all say Engine is the best in the business. No doubt it’s good. But this is a pain in the butt. Also frustrating new users are limited on the forum. It’s obvious to me that new users are the most likely group to have teething issues. Small rant over!!

So I’ve imported my Rekordbox xml, imported the collection. Same situation. Finding multiple instances with first beat cut off. And analysis of grid is wrong. This is after just dropping in a couple of tracks. Whats is going on here?

My settings are the default 55-155

All fine in Rekordbox.

Tbh importing from Rb looks as though it’s made the problem even worse. I’m so frustrated I can’t a reply. Why is that a thing?

Create a Rekordbox Library XML on your computer

Rename your engine library folder

Start Engine DJ

Click on the rekordbox tab to update and add to engine dj collection

1 Like