Stands and desks

Same as @mufasa

Purchased from IKEA with zero tools needed.

4 Likes

@KrisONeil that would be really helpful. I do really like the look of this one. It’s around £270, which means it’s within my budget. Also fits nice into space I have.

Nice little mix btw.

1 Like

@Revan Ok to post a link please? Will check it out.

Getting lots of ideas here. Thanks guys.

IKEA Trestle

There are links from the above page to various lengths of bench which can also be used with the trestles although to be fair you could use just about anything flat or whatever suits your decor/style.

I liked the trestles because I’m a short arse at 5’ 6" and as they are height adjustable it suited my needs.

I should probably be getting paid by IKEA at this stage, the chap who bought my SC5000Ms and X1800 phoned me the next day to get the information for the above LOL

1 Like

Thanks man :blush: and will do when I’m back at my office tomorrow.

Just a small tip for people making the DIY IKEA solution: use legs, even the short ones - you really want to have space for your feet not to CONSTANTLY hit the edge of the unit if it’s laying on the floor. Enables you to get closer and more above your gear.

2 Likes

Yeah as previously mentioned this is something I am going consider because I’m a bit of raver! Would get on my nerves constantly hitting a cabinet with my feet.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this? It’s the Kallax with legs.

1 Like

I have two Kallax in two locations.

One has three sets of jumbo castors under it (discontinued a few years ago). The other unit has the white frame that goes under it.

I had to reinforce with some ‘L’ shaped brackets the one with castors as that has the vinyl in it.

The IKEA stuff is relatively cheap yet renowned for being pretty much on the money for DJs. I waited on the Swedish House Mafia ones as I didn’t have the means to get it back home. I went back to the store and they’d just discontinued it. I did manage to buy one of the monitor stands though which I use as a shelf.

There’s a new(ish) Eket cube system which they are pushing as vinyl storage in-store. I can’t remember the name but it’s thinner like the old Expendit.

1 Like

Thanks for the response @MrWilks is the one I’ve posted in the link above all I need? It has feet. Only problem is it’s 39cm depth and the Sc6000 is 43cm. So it will over hang?

I literally have it in my basket now. Should go for it?

Oh and how sturdy will it be on carpet?? With all my gear on?

We have had one of these in the house for about ten years now if not longer, and although it is not used for DJ gear it did hold two Aquariums for about 4 years which would have bee a fair weight full, there was never any issues with it.

@SlayForMoney tip with the legs is a must, definitely will help with your posture when using your gear.

3 Likes

I also have the Glorious Gigbar, with 2 x PLX-1000, a 4 channel club style mixer, and a laptop stand with a Mac.

That’s some heavy gear, but the Gigbar has no issues carrying it – it is very sturdy.

Also, the shelf is big, and there are holes for cables management. I definitely recommend it.

1 Like

As promised - hope this gives an idea :blush:

1 Like

@TranceVoyageSessions Yep thats exactly what i’ve used, I just used more legs in the middle to take the weight but thats because of my vinyl. You can also cut holes in the top at the back back to accomadate cables if it’s going against a wall

1 Like

That looks perfect to me, didn’t even realise they made one with an under frame.

1 Like

They do overhang a little. I’ll send a photo of mine pretty soon. I’ve just woken up but will let you know.

1 Like

Thanks for this @KrisONeil, it is super tight on space at the back isn’t it. Might be ok with shorter mixer.

Ok, first of all thanks for all the suggestions and feedback here guys.

So it looks like I have 3 viable options.

IKEA bench with trestles

Pros - fits all my gear and more should I wish to add. Has great depth. Room for feet and knees.

Cons - price £160 plus for the item plus delivery charge £50 and another £50 for the extra leg for support. It’s massive.

IKEA Kallax with legs

Pros - price £150 for the unit and delivery. By all accounts given here it can take plenty of weight. Fits all my gear length ways. Space for displaying stuff. Seems to be a favourite here and among the wider DJ community.

Cons- it’s a narrow 39cm the Sc600 are 43cm, possibly major overhang on the back. Not so much space for the dancing DJ.

Glorious gig bar,

Pros - Look’s, it is designed specifically with DJs in mind, dedicated cable management, has room for feet legs. Fits snug into space I have in my lounge. Will look class.

Cons - price £270, it’s is not big enough for my current setup. I’d have to buy a baby pioneer or Xone 23 to tie me over for now. This adds a whopping £350 to the cost. Doesn’t look like it’s possible to mount stands for speakers or Multimedia players. Chunky Neo XLR with a large mixer could be a problem.

My thoughts, get the Kallax with legs, try it for now if it works out that’s great. Get a 4 channel mixer in the future. When I have a mixer I can then go ahead and buy the glorious mix bar, and just move the Kallax into my bedroom and use it as a shelving.

Just one final question on the Kallax though…

If I don’t have it against a wall. Will it wobble? I intend to put my speakers on stands behind it.

Again many thanks to everyone who’s jumped in to help me.

1 Like