SSH on the Prime 4

Good luck with the votes on the feature request :+1:t3:

2 Likes

You don’t get it. If I put the gear on rental and someone puts on it unofficial gear. I will be not aware of that and rent out further the setup, then I get the blame of the problems that occur or people will talk bad about the gear I rent out. That’s why I rather want that professionals handle the gear software than home amateurs build their own and then try it on my rental setups. There is too much to lose that way.

1 Like

Not needed in rental festival dj world?

1 Like

Yeah - I was thinking exactly the same thing

3 Likes

So you just rent your devices to anyone without prohibiting them from modifying the devices? Kind of your own fault. Same as when you let people with modified devices play in your club.

1 Like

@STU-C @Pasha funny to see how much energy you invest in ranting about someone elses feature request. You guys really are the epitome of kindness, the very marrow of the Denon community. What would this forum be without people like you.

5 Likes

When I am not at the venue with my gear, how can I know what is a guy having in his usb stick. I have multiple setups in rental, some go over 100km away sometimes. I can’t be in all places and look on peoples hands all time. How can I prohibit a player update then? What a strange question is that? Did You ever at least seen a rental business that has a warehouse full of gear and rents it to multiple organisations/people at the same time?

What makes you think this is about people with USB Sticks?

I want SSH (google it, it’s a network shell) access to MY device(s).

Maybe the way Denon implements it involves me uploading my public key to the inMusic website, where my devices are registered by serial number, and then my device (identified by serial) downloads the key from their API which in turn gives me access.

Which, again, doesn’t affect you in any way whatsoever.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/allow-users-to-change-the-ssh-key/46927/12

This is something that we won’t consider doing. It’s really not about “caring about our social media image” as much as it is caring about the stability of our products. We simply cannot guarantee that the players will continue to operate as intended with unauthorized modifications.

In regards to system load - we constantly test to make sure that the firmware / OS does not exceed the available system resources. All of the features you mention will have an affect on total load. Is it important to know how much? No, because the players will operate with enough overhead to safely run.

I’m closing this as a feature request. Feel free to add your point elsewhere.

6 Likes

it is caring about the stability of our products. We simply cannot guarantee that the players will continue to operate as intended with unauthorized modifications.

What makes you think you have to guarantee such a thing though?

I have modified the OS and firmware of many Android phones. When I do something like that, I take full responsibility afterwards. I don’t call HTC support and rant that my phone won’t boot after I installed a custom OS. Why? Because nobody should hold the company responsible when a user hacks their own device.

I’ve installed Linux on an Apple computer. Do you think Apple guarantees that the laptop will continue to operate as Apple intended?

If you look around, there are people who have replaced the entire dashboard of their car. Nobody thinks the original manufacturer is responsible for any ill effects caused by this. Warranty is void when the seal is broken.

So why is it different with Denon or Numark?

Just put a disclaimer message in the SSH’s MOTD - By accessing the device via SSH, you are forfeiting warranty.

2 Likes

Also, why is the feature request thread locked? There’s a message stating it was locked because of no replies within 24 hours, but other feature requests have been open for much longer without replies :thinking: Kinda bummed that I missed the short window to vote and show my support.

Kind of seems like they just want to brush this feature request under the rug, rather than try to understand the needs of their user base, no? Not a good premise to buy another device from this company then, is it?

1 Like

How does that disclaimer translate into the world of social media? When a device bricks in a busy club and someone is videoing the event on their phone, only to share it on social media afterwards with the catchphrase ‘look at this, another Denon device failing in a club’

Do you think that person is going to caveat their statement with “its ok though, its a modified device that had self built firmware installed so no need to point a finger at the brand”

You need to wake up and smell the coffee to how the world works, we live in an age of fake news, misinformation and mal-informed opinions. People read headlines and nothing more then use that to form opinions of things. In this case it would be “Denon bricks in busy club, Pioneer doesn’t”… nobody is then going to bother digging into the actual facts around it, they just want their ammo to throw mud at whatever company is the subject of the video.

“Because nobody should hold the company responsible when a user hacks their own device”

An ideal world where everybody is all fluffy and nice and only feed on actual facts is a nice place, but a complete fantasy. The real world is completely different.

These devices are used in public spaces and need to work reliably in that space, Denon have no control over which devices end up in which places. Devices failing in those places are damaging to the brand whether you think so or not.

4 Likes

Buy one from the rival brand and obtain the SSH from them for their devices then…oh wait.

The reason the thread closed is because once a solution is marked it closes the thread after 24hrs, no ‘brushing under the carpet’

1 Like

More likely I’ll just build my own. Scavenge a broken Prime for parts and solder them up, throw a Raspberry Pi inside, install Mixxx… It won’t be as good as a commercial product, but at least I can do what I want with it.

How does that disclaimer translate into the world of social media?

Who cares? 99.8% of people on Instagram are not the target audience anyway - they’re not ever gonna buy a DJ controller from any manufacturer, no matter what.

What you really want to care about are your current customers, and potential customers. Denon could be smart about it, and make hackable devices for people in the DIY scene, and open up a way to a previously untapped customer base.

People read headlines and nothing more then use that to form opinions of things. In this case it would be “Denon bricks in busy club, Pioneer doesn’t”

People won’t care, nor remember. But perhaps I’ll do my best to inform any potential customers that Engine DJ doesn’t cater to modders at all. See if that’s better for the brand.

1 Like

You’re literally living in cloud cuckoo land.

You make sure you keep informing the 10 people that care about modifying DJ hardware, im sure their loss of potential business will be hugely damaging.

Denon have made their stance clear so time for you to move on to a different brand that suits your needs. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

1 Like

Nice. Being actively hostile against customers who dare to voice out their needs regarding the product. This is a great attitude for that positive social media attention you insist is important.

1 Like

The thread is locked because this feature won’t be implemented. Once it is closed / locked, forum member will get their points back to spend on feature that we would be willing to implement.

If you guys want to void your warranty, knock yourselves out. However, Denon DJ is not going to spend time and effort to support this.

6 Likes

The fact you think i work for the brand, or have some kind of obligation to manage how i speak to people to protect the brand image speaks volumes.

Im just a guy who happens have what we in the UK call ‘common sense’, so i can see logical reasons behind why decisions are made to protect brand image and ensure the usability of a brands devices. It’s really not that difficult to understand yet you’re struggling, which again says more about you than it does me.

Guys, please keep it respectful, or I will cull any replies that don’t meet our community guidelines and will lock this thread as well.

Nah man, you completely failed to address my argument, while forcefully clinging to your own idea of how the world works.

And perhaps it’s a fool’s errand to try to expand your mind, but I’ll try once more:

the 10 people that care about modifying DJ hardware

https://hackaday.io/search?term=dj

2 Likes