SSD Transcend reading problem

All that rolling around sounds painful - but I agree, it wasn’t me that suggested an alternative format. I merely suggested checking the drive for any user settings which might cause the drive to behave in unwanted ways.

Unfortunately I have to update the test … I say unfortunately because after 2 weeks of testing, yesterday I went to “continue” a SC5000 still reported “corrupted database” by continuing to play but blocking every function of the SC5000. Boh … I do not know more than think. With SSD Sandisk so far, nothing has happened to me. (Formatted ExFat and not Fat32. With this SSD Transcend I’m not sure I can use it. The thing I’m most sorry about is that I can not figure out what the problem is.

So…is the conclusion… ?

SSD Sandisk = No problems

SSD Transcend = problems

I know that a couple of years ago a Transcend SSD drive was found to be using a mixture of flash components, including some which “Toms Hardware” reviewed as being parts rejected for use in higher spec products (but found to be “ok” for lower spec requirements - media playback could be argued to be a higher spec application though).

However, that review http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/transcend-ssd370,review-33282.html#p2 was a different transcend drive to the one mentioned at the top of this thread.

1 Like

Well, I read the review you suggested … I realized I had to stay with SanDisk. Transcend does not trust me anymore. Let’s see if Amazon reappears a product yield and accepts the change right away. Too bad, because he had a good fuss on this SSD. In the front there is a button that once started, it automatically backs up.

Beside the obvious fast transfer speed of files from Engine Prime do SSDs bring any benefits to the SC5000 hardware?

I’m just curious.

My 6 year hold Western Digital 500gb 2.0 Regular Hard drive is holding its own OK in my units.

I did notice though that when I formatted it as exfat and started up the decks with the HD already plugged in, it doesn’t detect the drive, since formatting to FAT32 I can boot up the player with the drive already connected and it will be detected

well … I’m sure the file read / load is definitely faster in the SC5000 than a common HDD. This is certain.

Main reason for me to use an SSD instead of a regular harddrive would be the lack of moving parts, therefor impervious to movement, shocks, awkward angles (although the latter isn’t too much a problem with modern HDDs anymore :slight_smile). Speed concerns could matter on the transfer side (computer to SSD) but if that benefit weighs against the cost increase I wonder.

Since when I accidentally hit a HDD in operation, I decided not to buy them anymore. Too delicate. I had to send it to help and open it in the white room. To recover the data, I had to spend a lot of money. Since then, HDDs only use them for back-ups and are locked in a drawer, and they do not move. For portability, and for the rest … just SSD. (No more Transcend :-D) The cost is still a bit higher, but the trend is down sharply.

Yes I use a Transcendence external hard drive, and I can not use the Prime software as it keeps corrupting, and on times just plugged into Sc5000 , I have all but given up I have not been able to sort out my collection and sort out many sets, so I have had to resort to using Rekordbox now the players read Rekordbox info, which is much more stable

I do not have any problems with corruption, unfortunately the Rekordbox waveforms are now horrible to use when manually sorting the timing/beatgrid,

I have a lot of 80’s soul funk that need sorting manually and its difficult to see on their waveform but I have to use the unproblematic over the engine prime that is unusable for me, I have tried over and over, and I back up my engine library but still I will end up corrupting and losing data as it is impractical to back up my library every song in a collection that I put into a set etc.

This is not limited to my transcendence Drive as it also does it on my Main Music production PC and my laptop which both also have been prevented from sleeping, so what should my next step to maybe try a Solid state external ? maybe, any brand/ model recommendations tried and tested ?, although would need at least 1 terabyte or nearest preferably or around 500gb SS for the best of my collection will do for now.

I need to try and address these issues, but I am Not convinced about switching from my transcendence because these corruption issues happen on all three of my setups that I have used at one time or another which have also been fine in the past using other software/DJ platforms so I personally think its something denon need to solve.

So a big Please!! we need a major software and hardware update soon now and the one that will revolution these players for sure as suppose to the hype and fix some issues and improve on functionality , never had any problems like this before using hard drives and collections in relation to DJ software and other systems.

But I hold out hope, and I would like to think after all this time these things are due soon after all the hard work you all at denon are putting into this so called revolution ?, it could be.

I would also like to put myself forward to beta testing the system we need to get a move on (Please! we do) _ Engine prime and the SC5000 I can test every day or when needed starting from Next Monday if not sooner, just got a track to complete after that the days are mine, so I would like to help if you need that,

I have done extensive troubleshooting/beta testing with many things DJ related in the past, So the offer is their.

I’ve got two SSD

Samsung T3 500gb SanDisk Extreme 500gb

I use the SanDisk with the prime. It doesn’t hold my entire collection (2TB and increasing). Just about 150gb of frequently used music/mp4 is exported to the Sandisk

It works fine on my end.

The Samsung is for my resolume visuals.

1 Like

Absolutely not to use the Transcend SSD !! They do not perform well with the SC5000, after a while, they stop for corrupt databases. I use SANDISK SSD and they’re great!

Indeed most agreed after my battling with a Transcendence.