Sorting Tracks using Amazon Music on Prime 4+

Hey all.

Got a wonderful new Prime 4+ so thought I’d try out AMU to see what its capabilities it can offer. I’m running 3.3.0 on the unit and everything works well.

QQ. Does anyone know if you can sort the tracks from the Amazon Music source by the usual types, BPM, Key, etc. I can’t get that option up on the screen’s unit like I can with a stick or drive.

Thanks.

I haven´t used Amazon music, but I think that there is the same “issue” as with Tidal.

Amazon doesn’t store this kind of information. So BPM, key, etc. is not available as long as the track is not analyzed. So there is no criteria to sort, as the information is not present.

Thanks.

Did some YT hunting and looks like this is not available. However, 3.3.0 now means that AMU key data is stored through profile and community contributions from track scans, so maybe that will come in future releases.

Hopefully the denon devs are considering this for streaming services as sorting needs to be on a par with USB/SD card functionality.

I loved everything about my prime 4, excepth there was no way to sort streaming tracks. I tried to adapt to this handicap with hand-written notes and it just became too cumbersome, I tried recreating playlists in an acceptable order, but it’s inflexible. I had to return it. If Denon reads these things, if you fix this, I will buy one again. The hardware is amazing. The software means it is not a serious option for anyone who relies on streaming.

I have found a solution to this problem, maybe more of a work around providing your happy to do some laptop prep.

I create the playlists I want on AMU or Tidal. I analyse the tracks on the Prime 4+ for key and BPM and add my hot queues and this writes the info to my storage. I use SD Card.

I then go into Engine desktop (Mac for me) with SD connected. 1st job is a sync into Engine from the card. Then, all songs appear in the ‘Collection’ root folder. Then create a new Engine style playlist, drag and drop songs as usual. Now sync back to the card with newly added playlists ticked. Eject card safely, usual routine.

With SD back into the Prime 4+ and the playlist and contains the songs added and can be sorted using the normal Engine capabilities on your unit.

It’s certain no slower than any usual SD card / USB sync. I’m probably way behind others knowing this already but hope it might help. Cheers.

1 Like

But why would you rely on streaming at all?

Because I haven’t figured out a place to download all the tracks I play for $17.99 a month. Do you know of one?

If I understand it correctly it sounds like it solves the problem. I just need to get my hands on a prime 4 to try it out

Hey @Nathan_White. The principle should be the same with any Engine standalone that can connect to a streaming service and that doesn’t allow sorting on the player. I have a Prime Go too and this all works on that using the same process I mentioned above. I use a blend of non streamed and streamed tracks so playlists can be created with sorting capabilities for a mix of both types of tracks.

If all you care about is THAT you can then just torrent those tracks.

/s