Something brewing over at Native Instruments?

Screengrab also attached, in case they pull the facebook post.

2 Likes

Someone on FB comments saying we should check the NI site at 4pm (UK time).

1 Like

Haha, I just looked on there earlier!

There was an upgrade order page earlier on DJTT, but it’s vanished.

And away…

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-software/traktor-pro-4/

Reviews from Mojaxx and Digital DJ Tips now also live.

As I suspected from reading up on it, Traktor’s version of “flexible” beat grids isn’t on a par with Algoriddim. You still have to do it manually.

Mojaxx says the stem separation is not on-the-fly either. The stems have to be saved.

and that’s actually a great idea.

5 Likes

It’s fine if you plan everything ahead, and don’t want to improvise as you’re playing.

I suspect many of us get ideas as we play though, and prefer the ability to isolate stems quickly.

3 Likes

but you can analyze part of the library that you constantly use and then improvise with these tracks… and you can use real stems created during production…

1 Like

finally traktor pro 4 bring stem danm yes

If you’re analysing ahead of time then you’re not improvising (as you’re playing). Other DJ software can also use “real stems”.

does not understand what the difference is, if my track is analyzed on the fly or I did it once for the entire library, nothing in improvisation changes … since in both cases in order to use stems you need to analyze the track.

The bigger problem here is that before loading the track into the deck and pressing play, you need to decide which version of the track to use with or without stems, and that there is no way to preanalyze several tracks at a time

3 Likes

Yes, but there’s a big difference between having to save the stems first and having the analysis done when you load the track.

As a test I just compared analysis of a 3:05 track in Traktor 4 (took 1m 34s to analyse and save) vs VirtualDJ (took 6s). That’s 15 times faster.

Using Traktor, if you’re playing a 3 minute track, and half way through you have an idea about mixing an acapella of another track, by the time you’ve analysed that 2nd track, the first one has finished.

1 Like

Not only that, you end up with less storage space.

Any hoo, glad there is life in Traktor.

1 Like

I’m enjoying my popcorn whilst reading all the comments over at the NI forum :smile:

Why isn’t it free? Can I have a discount? Will it work with my NI hardware? I subscribed to Traktor Pro Plus, why do I have to pay again? Will my library still work? :rofl:

1 Like

As shown in the video below, stem separation on traktor is slow because it doesn’t use the GPU for the calculation process.

They have chosen to allocate the separation calculation to a single CPU core, leaving the other cores available for software execution.

I absolutely don’t understand why they don’t use the GPU, which is much faster for this task.

I did see a comment in the forums about them thinking about using GPU in an update or something… A few things need to be fixed before I’m ready to get this but I actually prefer stems analyzed beforehand rather than on the fly bc there’s no need to do all that processing more than once.

I’ve also read the update breaks Remix decks which I sometimes use so for the time being I’m having more fun with Engine 4 :wink:

agreed. it’s an absolute poor decision. Not all GPUs are well suited for AI-related tasks, AMD’s are a great example.

They can also test for the presence of NPUs also as those are becoming more and more available.