Some basic beat matching related questions

1. I’ve got 2 SC6000M’s and an X1850. I’ve been using tempo sync, but wanted to know what is the actual difference between switching to “bar” vs “beat”? The manual description sounds similar, and I can’t exactly tell the fundamental difference between the two. I’m guessing “bar” matches on the red line and “beat” just matches on any of the other grid lines?

2. I’ve been using tempo sync. Sometimes of course I hit play not quite at the right time, or I find that I need to make a minor adjustment to the pitch to get the tracks to line up. If I use the ± pitch bend buttons in this case (or twist the platter/slow it with my finger), while the two decks are set to tempo sync, will the deck I used the pitch bend on retain its newly adjusted tempo? Or will the sync feature eventually adjust the two back to where it originally was? Since I’m pre-coffee writing this, I guess the way to phrase it would be if these were ordinary Technics 1200s and I had to do a slight manual adjustment to one of the tables (using the pitch fader), the two would remain perfectly in sync once I sort the issue out. Does the same effect happen if I’m using the tempo sync feature and make a manual adjustment either via pitch bend or touching the platter, or will the sync feature eventually sync back to what it thinks is the right (albeit slightly off) tempo it originally started with?

3. Sometimes I want to slightly lower or raise the tempo of a track that’s playing by itself (like going from one track that’s just a bit faster pace than the next track queued up, I’ll slowly drop it a few BPM). I notice though that just moving the pitch fader doesn’t work the way I expect it to: it appears that I have to move the pitch fader up or down until I get to the tempo that the currently playing track is actually at and THEN the pitch fader lets me adjust it. I’ve done a test with a track playing I moved the fader from the 0 mark all the way to negative and it didn’t change, but when I moved it up enough to where I hit I guess the mark that equates to the tempo of the playing track, it allowed me to freely adjust the fader up/down the alter the tempo.

The annoying thing about this is I don’t know WHERE on the fader I’d have to move it to in order to manually change it, so the concern would be overshooting by too much. Is this just because I’m using the sync feature? If so, is there an easier way to achieve this? Or in a case like this, do you just simply turn off sync, adjust freely, turn it back on?

Three) Look at the arrows on the pitch slider. It should light up in the direction of the actual position.

Two) It should retain the BPM that you synced to. The Pitch bend buttons temporarily speeds up or slows the track as long as you are holding it. Once you stop pressing it’s at the BPM.

One) Tempo = just matches the BPM

Beat = matches bpm and the nearest beat

Bar = matches bpm, beat and bar. A bar is 4 beats.

Three. Ohhhh I didn’t even notice. That helps, thanks.

Two. OK so it’s just a temp change so I’ll have to adjust it again similarly (or turn off sync if it really bothers me and manually do it, nbd)

One. That clears it up, thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.