Slowness to read playlists on Prime 4

…and how big are the playlists (how many tracks)?

No, Fat 32, I always used that format and the problems started after version 2.4

I have about 250gb of songs, some playlists with 200 songs but this happens even in playlists with 2 songs

1 Like

I have the same problem

When you say ‘a long time’, how long are we talking? Mine has more of a delay than it used to when first opening a playlist after reboot but it’s a few seconds not anything longer.

There is another thread on here discussing the issue and how the brand/type of SSD is having an impact, what brand SSD and what read/write speeds does it offer?

And here we go Slow loading from hard drive - #33 by DVanBleibergson

In the thread above some folks have posted there experience with different types of SSD. After I bought a SSD with 3D nand technologie, long loading times and overall bottleneck were gone.

1 Like

Reading time varies according to the size of the playlist and the time of use of the device! When starting the device, the reading time of a playlist with 100 songs can take more than 2 minutes, this time decreases over time, and sometimes reaches almost zero during the party, but in the beginning, switch between playlists and searching for tracks is scary because of the slowness. My ssd is a Samsung portable T5, it has 500gb of capacity and is at about 65% of the storage capacity, it has a read speed of about 540 MB/s.

I’ve always used the same SSD on this device and had no problems until the last updates from 2.4. I don’t believe that’s it, but the Prime 4’s hardware capacity is already being defaced due to so many new features and features. Denon should already be thinking about launching a new device with more processing power to support more updates

I’m using a WD Blue 500gb SATA drive installed inside the Prime 2. It has a data transfer rate of 6gb per second.

When you say you’re using a T5 portable, how are you connecting that inside the SATA slot? And what is the data transfer rate?

Smaller collections don’t have the issue reported. Large collections such as mine 35000 songs have the issue.

I’m using a T7 portable SSD with quoted read speed of up to 1050mb/s

1 Like

Is the bottleneck sitting with the USB connection on those drives? not all the USB ports are 3.0 (which is still far slower than thunderbolt USB-C), and connecting those into the SATA drive like the OP is doing would be an adapter wouldn’t it, which could also cause issues or a dedicated SATA drive?

Could be. But I think I read somewhere that the RK3288 chip/board used does not have SATA natively.

I could be wrong.

Looking at the specs it appears that the SATA goes through the same USB hub.

My understanding is that the SATA connection on the denon prime gear could be a SATA to USB one, so should not make a huge difference.

1 Like

Ah fair enough if that is the case. I know that @DVanBleibergson definitely had his problem solved by changing his SSD.

I do also agree that its a weird issue that has come about in the last few Firmware version and didnt exist before (even my 5500 track collection is noticeably slower on initial load), so makes you wonder if the Engine OS has somehow become bloated, or the new DB version is less efficient.

I use the T5 as a mobile unit and a Samsung EVO 850 Installed via SATA on PRIME 4. Both started showing this slowness.

I don’t know the tech side of it, but the linked thread above goes into detail about ‘onboard DRAM’ being important.

It might be worth purchasing an SSD with it included so you can test it out to see if it’s any better? they are quite cheap.

Yeah that is true. My collection is not big… like 600 tunes… But to be fair I had no issuses with the main player. Problems occured with engine stagelinQ for the second player. After using a ssd with 3d nand qlc, freezes and long loading times on the second player were gone.

1 Like

I am having same issue going to 3.0.1 …slow opening of playlists…

I have a big size playlist… but it was 100% on the previous verison 2.4 but now so so slow

Something performance wise needs to be tweaked

1 Like

In my case it got worse with version 3.1 Impossible to work!!! Prime 4 processing is no longer handling the service. I had a party yesterday and each playlist took 5 minutes to show the songs, search didn’t show anything. My luck is that I had a pendrive with about half of my main library where reading was faster, but even so with a certain delay in everything. My conclusion is that libraries with large amounts of files no longer work on Prime 4 at least. Afraid to invest in a faster SSD and the problem will continue.

Can you provide more information, how big is your DB file? Have you updated both desktop and OS? Have you wiped your SSD and performed a clean install of your library since the update?

What model SSD are you using? Does it have 3D NAND.

Library size 270gb, about 35,000 songs. All Updated in version 3.1 I did clean formatting in FAT32 as recommended and the problem is not resolved.

SSD drive sansung T5 502mg read speed