Slow loading from hard drive

I don’t know if what I’m going to say will help you.

I have done several tests and everything remains the same.

The last test I’ve done is to put an internal hard drive (I have the SC6000). But I don’t have an SSD hard drive, so it can be heard when the hard drive reads.

But the funny thing is that, when the screen of the SC said “searching”, the hard drive did not work, it only worked (heard the noise that hard drives make when reading) when the songs were displayed on the screen.

With what has to be something internal to the machine. Something is causing the “fetch” to take longer than normal.

Once this is done, the speed normalizes. That is, this is done only the first time.

Same with SSD although no noise.

The library is ridiculously slow compared on the linked player.

Ok yes it is to do with the drive itself, i have tested a few drives now, on a standard hard drive it is very slow pointless! on an ssd which is dramless you will still have a problem because of sustained transfer rate also too slow, if you use an ssd with good size dram onboard there is very little delay, almost none. I used to update my sc6000 just before i went to sleep as it took too long, now im down to about 20mins for the same 35k size library…night and day!, to add my linked player is near the same speed now.

1 Like

What is the make and model of the hard drive you use? Thanks!

This is the one I use for mine, it’s a lot cheaper than that in the sale (starting tomorrow), I think I paid just over £35 for it.

Out of the ones I have the Integral 1tb V Series read 520mb/s - write 470mb/s works fine for me, I also tested a Samsung 840EVO that was also fine, the dramless Mushkin ssd speed dropped off considerably after 20secs, I would say the sc6000 must need sustained data transfer rates.

1 Like

Yes your speed must be ok because that drive has onboard DRam, I have seen many people complain about speeds…we maybe onto something that can help others

2 Likes

I do a lot of photography as well as DJing and ive come to appreciate the value of a good quality drive. The upgrade to UHS-ii SD cards on my camera was a revelation for processing files after a burst shot, unfortunately they cost a lot of money, so in a lot of cases people dont need to bother, but UHS-i should be the minimum.

I think there are far too many low budget/quality drives on the market and people should always try and invest a little more in something good quality from a known brand.

SATA drives are pretty good value these days so it’s not expensive to get something like I have, I notice the 500gb model is only £10 more.

yes I agree, for those who can’t afford that bit extra research and maybe forums go a long way.

1 Like

Its a funny thing memory, lots of people will wax 2 grand+ on a laptop, camera or piece of DJ gear then spend 20 quid on the device used for storage. We’ve all been guilty of it (I have drawers full of that guilt) but I now believe that investing in a half decent quality memory drive is key.

1 Like

Yep we have all done that, half decent is a must, but spend wisely as some specs are not as advertised as you know, years of working on computers ive seen loads.

1 Like

There is no excuse for any harddrive to not work with Denon hardware. If the hardware is that picky, they shouldn’t have released their hardware pre-maturely, just for us to find the problems ourselves. I use a 10 year old HDD with VDJ and Serato and it works perfectly.

I asked a Denon rep (see below) on what harddrive I should get due to an astronomical amount of problems with my sc5000’s and Engine DJ database. BOTH my T5 and T7 have slow loading. That’s not a harddrive problem, that’s a Denon problem and they need to fix it.

Well there is, just like there is with any other product, ‘no name brand’ storage devices with low read and write speeds will perform worse than those from reputable companies with higher speeds. Adding in large music collections multiplies this issue.

Why would people spend so much money on an electrical item then cheap out on the device that runs with it, would you put remoulds on a Porsche?

1 Like

I’m not here to say what Denon should or shouldn’t do, helping each other is often the better way as we have an interest, if I can offer anyone some help with my findings let me know.

1 Like

Which guy is going to get an Oscar for this? I’m guessing it was @gpinn3320 . Aboslute gamechanger for me… I went all in and bought a Sandisk Ultra 3D (I do not know the brand Integral, the recommended Western Digital is an old model that gona be sold out soon and the newer does not have 3d nand at all).

Absolutely excellent write speed from engine dj to the SSD. Any micro stuttering or freezing has disappeared. Only a small delay in the user interface which is probably caused by the device and the software.

Thanks for that.

About the usb sticks, iam not sure at all if there is any stick with dram or like 3d nand stuff…

1 Like

Perhaps the company should consider making this an official announcement for recommended specs on internal drives, and even external.

Camera companies do it so it’s not completely unheard of.

2 Likes

A question for those of you who use an internal hard drive.

How to update the library? Do you have to remove the hard drive to update it with the Engine DJ? Or how is it done?

My collection is on the internal SSD of a player. I simply restart the unit in Computer Mode and use Engine Desktop to edit/add stuff. After that’s done I copy the Engine folder to a backup location.

2 Likes

Same as Reese for me.

Im hoping this library referencing over wifi is the start of going down the road of wireless sync of your library. That would be cool.

1 Like

Personally, would never use a mechanical drive - SSDs are ridiculously cheap, faster, and less prone to errors.

4 Likes