Slow internal SSD SC6000M

what about network over USB instead of ethernet for huge databases. The ethernet on the units is 100mbps USb 2.0 is 480mbps / USB3.0 is 5GBps.

That would be near instant? I think some CDJs have this ability.

Will that not lead to another issue of two/three/four databases per session eg if someone has more than two physical players.

I suppose it can update the source database with new info during shutdown of the link deck.

2 Likes

I’ve done this and it doesn’t fix the problem one bit.

This “solution” assumes the network is the bottleneck, but it’s not really.

If you want to test it yourself, you can purchase the below interface and things will just work. It works because the chipset in the interface is supported by the Linux kernel that the SC devices use.

Amazon Basics USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Internet Adapter, Black Amazon.com

Update" as the steps above. I factory reset both players. Which speeds up the ssd. This morning i plugged each player into my pc into engine, and also did a libary clean up. Of the drive inside the player. I then booted my player up . Put wifi back on. It now loads fast , playlists tracks, even does a search. And even shares 1 drive between the 2 now also. I got them working perfect. So the fix is . Make sure music is analysed in engine dj. Then synced to internal ssd. Then factory reset. Then plug into computer into engine dj, select internal drive in player in engine DJ. Libary clean up…Then disconect. Boot up device put wifi back on mine are working perfect now Ty. Im not even tech minded. But ive sorted the slow non sharing devices now. Works perfect!

1 Like

Just clarifying,

does it work better with the USB to Ethernet adapter vs the SC Ethernet ?

No, it does not change anything. Network speed is not the bottleneck.

Without looking at the architectures, my best guess is that the bottleneck is likely CPU.

Interesting.

My experience has been that internal SSDs would be faster than external drives. I have an internal 1TB Samsung EVO 850, which can pump out sustained read|write speeds around 540|520MB/s. An external 1TB Samsung T5 can easily handle those sustained read/write rates on a fast machine, but on the SC5000, SC6000, using the T5 is way slower than an internal SSD.

SD cards are out of the question for me :rofl:

Plz stop saying you’re not “tech minded”. That isn’t helpful to you or your abilities :).

You may not know the internals of the device or how it works, but you’re clearly technical if you can work out these steps. :grin:

Any of the stuff under the hood, or how computers work, etc. can be learned. Everyone has to learn this stuff - it just doesn’t come to you.

Lol . Sorry . I’m a Tech Fluke then… Well mine are working fine now, but not tested it switching back and forth from Beatport Link yet, but the 2tb Samsung Evo 870 with over 185.000 tracks is working rappid and even sharing 1 drive between 2 with ethernet link…i can search tracks as well now. Hope it helps others, have a nice weekend every 1…

1 Like

My assumption is that the networked deck is processing the search locally querying the networked database, instead of sending the query via text to the non-networked player to have the search processed by the main player. Querying multiple small files is more time consuming than processing one large file over a network (or any data channel for that matter).

I could be wrong tho.

2 Likes

The only thing that makes me challenge this assumption is that you generally don’t want to have multiple devices open the same database file as SQLite wasn’t designed for it. This could lead to corruption of the file if multiple devices attempted a write at the same time.

My thought is that there is some API like StageLinq that allows the queries to be possible via TCP/IP.

2 Likes

I’ll challenge your challenge of the assumption and say that ‘we’ don’t know how the database is handled or even stored on the players :slightly_smiling_face:.

I did ask if these were cached to the players but unfortunately got ‘ZERO’ response.

So if the dev team want us to stop assuming then perhaps they could be a bit more integrated into the forum, and actually look at what we are asking from time to time [and im not referring to feature requests], for the record i’m not referring to @JWiLL or @Reese. I believe there was quite a lot of feedback on this not so long ago, hasn’t made any difference.

It’s one thing trying to contribute but i feel there has to be more feedback on the forums for issues [not bug reports] that are arising, from the devs, lets look at @mufasa who has probably rebuilt more databases in the past month than the entire forum attempting to make sense of the ‘extremely slow’ ssd performance.

There is a line where people disconnect and require QOL and that is when your quality becomes mushrooms in the dark!

5 Likes

Very fair comments indeed! :grin:

1 Like

My guess would be that either it is a driver mis-setting for the ethernet controller, or the internal RAM speed not sufficient enough to cache the data from the network players. Could also be a bottleneck at the CPU, or GPU hardware refresh rate not sufficient.

Without access to the underlying OS, I figure it would be impossible for the end user to properly diagnose the issue.

100%. What @Revan pointed out is most of what we are saying is conjecture. :grin:

1 Like

Well, I had a similar problem, where one of my SC6000 players would have it’s screen freeze from time to time. I didn’t see you trying the buttons and jog dial on the player (and the first time I experienced this I didn’t either), but I found that the hardware controls are still functional in this state: only the touch functions of the screen fail.

After a few months experiencing this issue I found that it was always the same unit that crashed, and sent it to Denon for repair. They couldn’t reproduce the issue, but still where so kind to replace the screen entirely, within warranty. After this, it never happened again.

I think a month or so later, this happened 1 time to a friends SC6000M, while I had this problem happen on my SC6000 at least a dozen times :wink:

But all in all, I think you experienced a hardware glitch, unrelated to the issue described in this thread :wink:

I had just answered a topic about network slowness on my sc6000! I use them with a link on my x1800 which is also connected to the router, I don’t use the wifi because as the mixer is on the network it already sends internet to the player via its hub! I did the reset procedure and it really worked!! I had even bought CAT-8 cables and still nothing! I have a library of 50 thousand songs and use 1 ssd of 1tb in each player. It was taking an average of 5 minutes to access playlists on the other player and vice versa! Nonsense! But doing the factory reset went back to being fast as before! I have an assumption that whenever we update players we must do a factory reset!

2 Likes

Yep. The link on mine went slow also. I also bought upgraded cable to link them. I am now using x2 2tb samsung 870 evo SSD in each player. I factory reset both players, and plugged both sc6000m deck into my pc and selected each drive in engine dj. And also did libary clean up of both internal ssd. And i keep wifi off. Works faster. But still connect players with ethernet cable for use of sync etc. There must be a better fix for linking player libaries. Come on Denon please fix it :+1:

2 Likes