Show your home DJ booth - Discussions

LC3 and LC3plus enters the room.

Which one… aptX or aptX LL? Both can be considered low latency, but one of them is much better than the other.

AptX™ is around 70ms, but some tech papers have said that in certain cases it can be as high as 100ms to 150ms. The LL version, which btw I actually own/use from time to time, is only 40ms. Can I hear that? Yes, of course I can. but the real question is, does a 40ms delay hinder me when I’m trying to make a smooth mix? Not really. I guess having to deal with all types of stuff over the last 30+ years in this hobby (crap, I feel old now :joy:), has made me much more flexible to things like that. Thinking about it now, I’d love to see how some DJ’s would handle live mixing in a large echo rich hall if their monitor(s) AND headphones went kaput. Horses come to mind. (an inside joke for some of my close old school DJ friends) :wink:

Dare I say… for many people, a 40ms audio delay is (imo) acceptable and workable… but I’m sure some people out there consider their hearing to be “super human”. For them, anything that is not 0ms, is unacceptable. Not directed at anyone here of course. :innocent: :grin:

With that said, I can’t wait to get my hands on, and test out, an LC3 (or LC3plus) equipped transmitter and headphones to see how good they actually are with real world usage.

1 Like

I used to DJ in this barn of a place. It held around 2500 and was a small arena. It had the biggest echo and the system had a delay of what can only be described as 100 horses running though the room. Luckily the monitors were obscenely sized.

Another venue was in an old church with an awfully cheap sound system. Same again but without any decent monitoring. Awful but true learning curves.

The “horses” I mentioned are not from the actual echo/latency/delay itself, but from the off beat mixing someone does when the echos makes them think they are going to be bringing in a track on beat, but then completely messes up and lets the song keep playing off beat. The echos from a big space just makes it sound even worse. lol I had a Porkchop friend that used to call it “cavalos” (Portuguese for horses). In the mid 80’s when I had just started out, he used to say that out loud when my mix went sideways. I got better real quick after some teasing. :joy: Fun times/memories. :blush:

1 Like

aptX low latency as stated.

If it was more than 60, the PS / Xbox would be only 60 or even 30 Hz in some games.

Seems that is the first approach to be taken seriously yes. Is there any hardware available now, though?

As I said, 16 ms (AIAIAI spec) is apparently fine, 50 or whatever aptX gave me was not…

A post was merged into an existing topic: Show your home DJ booth

Those RMX stations alone are dreams themselves … can´t find one for reasonable price for the life of me … i wish Denon made something similar to it or there was new unit

Yup, no one resells those things used at a reason price, they hold their value well. There was a rumor of a new RMX unit talked about a few months ago on reddit, I’d love to seem them make a new version that uses the USB routing on the new mixers (V10 and A9) to make it a 100% digital execution with a single cable.

1 Like

The Masterminds FX is a good alternative, some creative send/return wiring needed on none MS mixers but they are great… the new one has bpm sync echo included too.

1 Like

For a while you could get them cheap(er) because a bunch of controller users bought them to be used without a proper fx loop…but that did not last long.

Indeed the market is missing a proper external fx units from other manufaturers.

1 Like

Hope Denon DJ will create a unit that is up2date that kicks ass.

Come on Denon DJ Team invent something crazy new like a modular mixer with separate fx units.

Or a fusion of Xone::96, Xone::db4, A9, V10 and X1850.

Denon DJ could jump over its own shadow and request a cooperation with Allen & Heath. These guys are very open minded. Imagine what a hell of a mixer could come out if these two companies team up and combine forces.

Or they step further and both ask Apple. Could be the worldwide first and only Mixer with Apple Silicon and realtime AI capabilities inside …

2 Likes

I had luck bought the stand together with the RMX-500 for an affordable price. I had LC6000s on sale and someone really wanted this units but had not enough money. So I got the RMX-1000 and some cash in exchange for two LC6000.

1 Like

Before inMuisc owned Denon DJ, “old” Denon (D&M Holdings) used to also own Allen & Heath.

That’s truly going full-circle.

2 Likes

For sure, a way to change the game …

They are out there, the thing is that they are not marketed to djs. Guitar effectors for example are pretty good for dj use. I like using the fx on my loop station for dj’n.

Any effector on the market with midi clock in will work with any dj mixer that has s/r and midi clock out.

What would be nice is if standalone effectors start incorporating Abelton link.

1 Like

I just sold mine for $700 CAD because it was collecting dust in front of me and figured since my SC5000 has effects now that I don’t need it. Ended up buying a Boss RC-1 so I can loop vinyl and mix between my Denon and SL1200’s

1 Like

I bet Pioneer have stopped producing them too, which will drive up the price as they dry up in retailers.

Its bad that there hasn’t been a mainstream FX unit for about a decade.

Line6 DL4 MKII is a really good alternative. Probably my favorite fx unit

Highly unlikely we’ll see a new external fx unit from Pioneer DJ anytime soon! Iirc, the leak post on reddit was total bs and debunked by a Pioneer DJ employee.

They don’t earn any money from units they don’t sell. The RMX is 10 years old. There has to be a shortage or complete lack of a key component or more that keeps them from producing these. Might be an AD/DA converter. Remember the AKM fire?

1 Like

I combine Serato FX and the Mastersounds at home for my needs. One pre-fader, the other post.