Shorcomings in The SC6000M abd sloppy work

Having bought and started using a pair of sc6000m’s here are the shortcomings I’ve discovered so far. Having been attacked by certain “knowledgeable” individuals about the sound level output, I would refer these experts and detractors to https://youtu.be/IRUavs5NTlQ about 4 minutes in, where DjMojaxx says exactly what I’m saying - so yes a +3db software gain switch.

Next, Doubles Press The select/zoom knob twice and you get doubles, but did you know hold down the sync button you also get doubles! I may of course missed it in the manual, but I couldn’t find it - so where is it in the manual?

The manual again here is an extract from the manual:

Blockquote To activate sync, press Sync on the unit that you want to control the BPM, which becomes the “primary.” After Sync is To activate sync, press Sync on the unit that you want to control the BPM, which becomes the “sync lead.” After Sync is activated on that unit, Blockquote This is sloppy work taken from the latest online manual which wasn’t proof read properly. Now to sync - my favourite subject and I’m not alone. If a product has a feature then you expect it to work, especially as you may have selected that product on the basis of its features, Sync on an SC6000M is a nightmare, it’s impossible to work out what it does at any given time… For instance it’s possible to set the master on a deck and the Sync Lead box on the display of that deck not be on!. As for switching Master decks, will it may work, but it may not, what I did find is switch on your decks (I’m using two and not layers) load a song on each deck and then select a master. Do it any other way and it doesn’t work. A good example of how sync should work is as implemented in Traktor

The difference between the master button being on and off as indicated by it being lit and dimly lit is imperceptible…lets have it on and off. Ok in a club you may find it hard to see, but by now you should know it’s next door to the sync button.

“Continue” in the Shorts cuts, Continue what? OK there’s a loop symbol, but its not actually looping, unless it refers to one song in a folder or playlist. It should be continue (or even move) onto the next song A lot of this is sloppiness, which I’ve found in a few days, fundamentally the player is good, but some of this should have been ironed out a long time ago. If Denon want to take on and beat Pioneer, which I’m all for, then you need to get your act together.

If you desire 3 more decibels of gain, turn up the gain/trim knob?

4 Likes

HERE WE GO AGAIN… Have you still not learnt to turn a knob up… But hey ho hold up… what mixer are you using… Get one with a gain knob on problem solved

3 Likes

Glad to see Mojaxx and I agree :slight_smile:.

At least he’s not an MCP

Agree on what? “The output is less hot” is merely an objective remark. Compared to ehhm Pioneer I presume?

The SC players incorporate extra headroom on the outputs to account for badly mastered MP3’s (why even use MP3…) and the algorithm used to get the features the players have; for instance 100% time-stretching.

And refrain from posting your childish daddy issues. Grow up.

4 Likes

SERIOUSLY… stop talking out if your bottom. If a loop is played on one song whats to say its going to line up right phrase and beat wise in next track.

You REALLY should watch a few videos on you tube about being a dj before you start spouting all this rubbish.

And does mummy and daddy know your on the internet again…??

1 Like

You must be the first person in the world(old enough to use these players) to not understand what continue means.

I’m pretty sure pioneer call it the same thing. Seems like a non issue.

1 Like

1 Like

So Mojaxx is claiming the SC Prime SPDIFs are the same volume as the Pioneers’, but it’s just the analog outs on the SC Prime players that are slightly quieter?

His comment about the rotary mixer crowd gave me a giggle. The latest in-vogue mixers in that community are the Mastersounds 4V with 10X the THD+noise of the MP2015, which they’re now eschewing for sounding ‘too digital’, or the Condesa Carmen with 10X the THD+noise of the 4V. Using a line level as the source, output volumes matched, and running the gear properly, if you compared the MP2015, an Iso420, and a direct bypass cable, you would not find people able to consistently tell the difference between those three blindfolded. But hey, if the folks that think the Carmen’s 100X the THD+noise of the MP2015 also think the Prime players at zero pitch’s 100X the intermodulation distortion of Pioneer CDJ-2000 at zero pitch is at least not any worse-sounding, guess they must be onto something, right?!

I am not at all surprised most of the rotary community is completely content with the SC Prime sound considering how they’ve been dumping the MP2015 for the other two mixers lately. These are the same people who do club installs with state-of-the-art digital mixers, and then between that front-end and the crossover & amp rack put an old rotary mixer and isolator to act as a master volume control.

Im going to send him/her a cooy of this…

download (12)

… They might learn by looking at the pictures

1 Like

Next, Doubles Press The select/zoom knob twice and you get doubles, but did you know hold down the sync button you also get doubles! I may of course missed it in the manual, but I couldn’t find it - so where is it in the manual?

That extra “hold sync” was a shortcut and was introduced quite recently. Think of it more like an Easter egg. It’s not documented but you’ve found a fast way to do something. Serato was doing this for years with games of Pong and EQ effected waveforms.

I thought this was the infinity icon to indicate something that continuously plays until stopped. A loop icon is generally two arrows going around in a circle. Like this :repeat:

I’ve never had a problem with sync before and find that it works as expected. Press the sync button to sync that particular deck to the one that’s already playing, that will be the lead. You can make any of them the SYNC LEAD.

Folks, please keep it civil.

@Hot_on_tech - thanks for bringing up the issue in the manual.

Reese is correct about the headroom. We did at one time have the output slightly higher, but discovered that a lot of poorly mastered MP3s were peaking above the -0dB digital limit and were getting limited as a result. We opted for better fidelity than absolute loudness here.

As for the “Continue” button - while we strive to use terminology which describes the feature as best we can. If anything isn’t clear at face value, that is what the manual is for.

I’m a bit confused as to what the actual issue is with continue mode - does it not behave as you would expect it to?

Vince

7 Likes

So, is this reasonable processing headroom oddly absent by the SPDIF out like Mojaxx’s observations would seem to indicate by boosting the level prior to the SPDIF and then subjected to the limiter? It seemed to me that appropriately this scenario was not happening, and instead the same data was reaching both the DACs and SPDIFs.

Old review of SC6000.

I thought the processing pad was already added by then, though. I am guessing Mojaxx just made a slight error, but I’m too lazy to break out the other gear to compare to the SC5000M right now.

Excellent choice, in my book :blush:

1 Like

Agreed that it is a step in the right direction and the best mentality to have compared to the alternative way of doing things. I am hopeful.

Finally we now have Denon confirming the analog output is lower and why - a valid reason. I agree on the quality of MP3’s and other audio formats.

I would still be useful that those of us who want it would like the option of a hotter analog audio out, and its clear Denon can implement it so please can we have it?

For those of you who don’t want it, please don’t use it and it won’t bother you.

A CD ripper could be helpful as part of The Denon Dj Engine? I use (paid) dbpoweramps CD ripper Spoon's Audio Guide: CD Ripping, consistent results with other plentiful options.

Downloaded files - your at the mercy of those that placed them, rubbish in = rubbish out.

Regarding the continue issue. I will never buy another piece of Pioneer gear, rip me off once and you never get a second chance, so the term as it stands in unknown to me… (in case someone raises a comparison against Pioneer anywhere now and in the future) I appreciate there is the manual, but lets suppose, as is your aim, to challenge Pioneer, then making terms on the display clear is especially important when someone jumps onto a piece of Denon gear they have never used before and don’t know what the terms are on the player and have no time to read the manual. My point is illustrated in respect of the manual error :slight_smile: how many pointed it out before me? The long press on the sync button I discovered, when it should have been documented. Now as to the master button, it does not, and it should ,force the player into master when you press it and the deck is playing. It does not, this was complained of by ANother elsewhere.

It is a situation that can occur under certain conditions, so Denon need to start investigation the conditions under which it occurs and fix it please.

I don’t have any problem taking on overpriced Pioneer, they need taking down a peg or two and it’s about time - but you need to sharpen up in the way you do it :slight_smile:

I don’t think the option to generically crush the audio into a hard limiter on the players when you can simply turn up your trim-gain knobs on your mixer when needed makes any sense, but variable & intelligent (by RMS) control over the dynamics using the players is an interesting concept I’ve thought about. The ability to soft compress (not hard-knee limiting, mind you) and even do expansion would function better on the player end rather than downstream, anyway. If you are interested in adjusting actual real-time ‘loudness’ on tracks in a potentially sonically-pleasing way and not increasing the overall level that just increases max peaks, which comes up against not only the brick wall of 0dBFS but inter-sample peak clipping even earlier, then check this out:

https://community.enginedj.com/t/beast-mode-not-a-joke-post/15006