Set up query with Sc2900, Xone db2 and more

Przemoemo Sep 08, 2015 5:43 pm

Hello

I’m asking you guys for help. My recent setup is: 2x Denon Sc2900 Allen and Heath Xone:db2 mixer Lenovo y50-70 with windows 10

My following problems are:

1. 2xDenon sc2900 decks doesn’t work properly with Traktor 2 Le or Traktor 2 scratch pro. Reverse button doesn’t work , there is no difference between vinyl mode on or off , “start time” knob works as filter (why?), also there is no LED around the JOG or Led’s are not working on play/pause button or Cue button. I’ve tryied how deck works on virtual dj and turns out they work great without problems…but I won’t spend 300$ on that program especially if I own Traktor which is said to be “dedicated” to denon sc2900…ehh

2. Sc2900 in hybrid mode…I have completly no idea how they should work , but i’m pretty sure in my configuration they didn’t work well. After I put hybrid mode , my deck uses only one single signal , I can’t load any track to my deck , and any program (traktor , virtual dj) can’t see my decks in that mode. Can anyone explain me how this hybrid mode should work , and how should i set up my setting in traktor?

3.I know that this is Denon forum , but I think someone might have here answer for that. My mixer Xone:db2 is seen both by traktor and virtual dj , but is not mapped. My question is…is there any possibility to map mixer? Is it worthy? Or better don’t connect it to laptop? (for now I don’t see the reason to have this mixer connected , because even if traktor or virtual dj can read that it’s connected , it doesn’t gives me any benefits from that).

Ps1. I’ve updated everything I could , so it’s not driver foult. If needed I can make some screenshots of setting in traktor , and put them here. Ps2. Sorry for my bad english :frowning:

SlayForMoney Sep 08, 2015 6:33 pm

Your SC2900’s work fine.

Because Traktor doesn’t have “reverse”, “start time” or send out midi messages for the LED0’s around the platter to work. Vinyl on/off is not mapped by default, you could change that by mapping it (if you learn how to map in Traktor).

You do understand that when using SC2900 with Traktor you are just turning it into a controller?

You need Traktor Scratch Pro 2 licence for the hybrid midi mode to work. And NI compatible audio interface or certified mixer (DB2 is not TSP certified).

Yes it does. You don’t need to map it to use it with Traktor/Virtual DJ, just install ASIO drivers and set your mixers audio interface as your audio output (Denon DJ ASIO) in the DJ software.

Mapping the WHOLE mixer (cofiguring DJ software so that it receives midi signal from all the buttons, knobs and faders on the mixers, like a controller) that don’t have a dedicated midi mode or midi buttons (like Denon X1600) is sort of like buying a brand new car, putting it in your living room so you can play a rally simulation on your PS4/Xbox.

You can map a few buttons/knobs you don’t use - for DB2 that might be the mic/aux channel knobs for something like FX or filters in Traktor. But that’s about it. As I said, the biggest advantage of connecting it via USB to DJ software is using it as a sound interface.

Przemoemo Sep 08, 2015 7:07 pm

Well , thank you. I couldn’t find the answers in whole internet, which you gave me in just one post :slight_smile: But i’ve got few more question. About mapping in traktor: do you know any website I could learn how to map in such program or do I have to learn that on my own? About mixer: In xone db2 there is a button like “midi shift” and pressing it activates midi mode. So if mapping mixer is worthless , why do they (allen & Heath) put such button in it? Also I don’t understand one thing…I thought that Denons works as controllers and as output soundcards…and from your post I can understand that Mixer works as output soundcard. So how it is exactly? And once again , thank you for your replay :slight_smile:

SlayForMoney Sep 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: Set up query with Sc2900, Xone db2 and more Przemoemo wrote: Well , thank you. I couldn’t find the answers in whole internet, which you gave me in just one post :slight_smile: But i’ve got few more question. About mapping in traktor: do you know any website I could learn how to map in such program or do I have to learn that on my own? About mixer: In xone db2 there is a button like “midi shift” and pressing it activates midi mode. So if mapping mixer is worthless , why do they (allen & Heath) put such button in it? Also I don’t understand one thing…I thought that Denons works as controllers and as output soundcards…and from your post I can understand that Mixer works as output soundcard. So how it is exactly? And once again , thank you for your replay :slight_smile:

You can learn the basic on YouTube, there are specialized websites such as Traktor Bible.

As I said, if you have unused knobs, buttons on the mixer you can map them for some control over Traktor (EQ knobs work well for FX). But using “shift” buttons gets pretty confusing and pretty fast - you’ll forget in what mode you are (midi or regular) and you’ll activate something that you didn’t intend. Save yourself the trouble and buy a NI X1 or similar controller, they are cheap and X times better then using mixer as a controller.

Yes, your SC2900’s can work as a output soundcard (by virtually aggregating them into a single soundcard) and your mixer also has a soundcard in it. It is better to use the mixer’s soundcard. It usually has better A/D converters (HQ stuff like Cirrus Logic converters) and other audio circutry that gives better sound quality (of course, DJ business is not Hi-Fi business so don’t expect to notice it on any equipment). Also, if you use The decks soundcards, if you want to switch one from midi/hybrid-midi mode to CD or USB playback your sound will cut out on the other Decks because they are aggregated into a single soundcard in your laptop). By using your mixer’s soundcard you avoid that.

Przemoemo Sep 09, 2015 5:27 pm

Thank you for your answer. You helped me a lot to understand how it works , and solved all of my problems :slight_smile:

cheers Przemo