Serato DJ - Controller Mode Poor Jog Wheel response

I like to do some basic scratching but the SC5000 jog wheel integration with Serato DJ leaves a lot to be desired.

It’s laggy for scratching.

I’ve tried messing with Serato DJs latency setting but it’s just not tight enough.

Just an observation.

Standalone works a peach…tight and very responsive.

1 Like

I i noticed the same thing

1 Like

It’s no good if you’re comparing it with standalone performance.

By design, controller jogwheels cannot accomplish the low latency between movement and change in sound simply because those signals need to be transfered to the PC, computed by software and outputed back into a audio interface.

In standalone mode, all of that is done inside one unit (even if SC5000 is a mini-PC itself) optimized for such performance.

Compare it with some other SDJ controller.

Compared with other controllers…it’s the poorest jog wheel response for scratching.

I have the Denon MC6000MKII, Roland DJ 808 (This has the tightest jog wheel with Serato DJ) Even my Pioneer WeGo3 has better jog wheel response with Serato DJ The CDJs 2000 Nexus jog wheels also performs better.

4 Likes

I would go to Serato forum and ask them for answer why is that considering they did the integration with their software.

Following my observation i wanted to find out if other owners of the SC5000 Prime have similar or alternate experiences.

Wouldn’t want to start hitting up the Serato forums before a brief survey.

I believe Serato DJ support is a collaborative effort between Denon DJ and the Serato guys. So they both share responsibility in ensuring they get the best experience for users.

Just one other user share the same experience so sample size is still too small.

Serato threads have a tendency to go sideways. It could easily turn to another Denon Bashing thread but I will post something there and see how other SC5000 users are faring.

Link to post https://serato.com/forum/discussion/1663052

This whole Serato integration leaves a lot to be desired can’t change the colors on the Jogs can’t have you Logo show unless you individually change it in every individual song cant have a full waveform show like on stand alone etc. it’s very disappointing that you can’t use the SC5000 to it’s full potential with Serato.

1 Like

Yeah almost like they did it half hearted. All that under utilized potential.

Scrolling Serato wave forms should be possible. If the MCX8000 can manage it why not the SC5000 Prime? That will be a major win versus the CDJ system which also doesn’t support scrolling waveform.

BTW this is constructive feedback and not me moaning if there is room for improvement of the Serato integration …I will welcome it.

I wonder who determines how things should be done between hardware manufacturers (Denon in this case) and official software partners (Serato)

Do Denon provide them with all the information they need and let Serato come up with ideas?

1 Like

I think Serato controls that, Hopefully for the new upcoming version of Serato they put a little bit more effort then this version we got right now. This is one of the reasons why I’m considering going laptop less with my setup because we this expense (I have the whole setup X1800 + 2 SC5000’s) you want all the features not something halfway cooked.

3 Likes

Can someone confirm whether I need to use a powered hub on the cables from the x1800 mixer and sc5000, as currently im having trouble getting into controller mode.

Ive followed these instructions

https://dl.sera.to/88/146588/146588?Expires=1546345990&Signature=H5e79I~O3o31XqEGoGjvCF61wdibayRfXmMYn2aT3jVCC5RYp2VNWW4N9TA0ZsaGJH1uVIM8nr6RlFdEULWM2rz5C4rPB-EMgfPtjZ3f~zJqHnB8277nkTAb-sPJ4YDzdhS6D73R2vibwOom85J23JrdcLy8bx0rYtUxnSwKnkI_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJJH6HOT56LE4SWOA

But im not sble to get past number 4 :confused:

Thanks

Good day all. I am a fan of the prime series. New Years 2019 the connection to Serato DJ was flawless. However, January 4th, and 5th I encountered the aforementioned connection problem… in the middle of my sets.

1. The problem occurred on both players.
  2. I had to remove the power cord to re-set the players as the power button failed as well.
  3. Upon trouble shooting the usb connection, the slightest touch or movement to the cord disconnected the player from Serato DJ.

I hope the additional input helps with trouble shooting the issue. I run a 2017 3.5ghz i5 Mac Book pro, 8GB Ram

R/S, DJ_Authentic@instagram

Does anyone know which is the best broker among those listed on this site? https://musicalbuzz.com/best-dj-controller/

1 Like

What kind of DJ are you? And honestly at this point, the Prime 4 is hands down the best unit on the market in terms of capability and cost. I am not just saying this because we are here on the Denon forum. In my opinion, this is a no brainer when comparing apples to apples unless you rather use RB or Traktor. Just my 2 cents.

I wonder why official Denon DJ booklet don’t advertise this piece of equipment as being a controller? Maybe because they let Serato to take care of this functionality.

I would imagine because it is not first a controller. No different than a CDJ2000NXS. It can be used as a controller but it is not advertised as one.

A DJ controller is a “dumb” terminal, meaning that on its own, it can’t do anything. The Prime products are far from that so I am not surprised at all they are not calling them controllers.

3 Likes

I just picked up an SC5000 and experience poor jog wheel and overall response in controller mode. Does anyone know if this issue been resolved as yet. Your feedback yes or no is appreciated.

Controllers can’t be as fast as stand alone. The talking data between the controller and the laptop he is slowing the talk.

May be this is what is help to the rise of stand alone.

Are you sure?

I use CDJs frequently with Serato and the response is super tight! No lags, No messing about

What “Rise of standalone“ are you on about?

I bet more units of the 1000 SRT have moved than the SC5000.

1 Like