Search function question

Hi, I’m considering a purchase, but have yet been unable to determine how the Engine search function works. Does it work like Serato, in the sense that you can enter characters that do not appear at the beginning of a file name or tag? Can they be non-consecutive characters?

For example. Let’s say I want to play “Beyoncé - Single Ladies” but I can’t remember the artist name or proper spelling. Could I type “ingle dies” and see the track as a search result?

Is the answer effected by whether the characters are found in the file name or found in the iD3 tags?

Thanks.

Hi @inverseremix, welcome to the community.

First of all, it is useful to know that Engine Prime and Engine OS are different. You ask your question in the Engine Prime section. This is the desktop software that you install on your Windows or Mac computer and use to prepare your sets. Engine OS is the firmware that runs on the units themselves.

I tell this because of the following: You can try Engine Prime without making a purchase. You can find it here: Software downloads, manuals and documentation - Denon DJ

Then the answer to your question: Yes, you can search ‘ingle dies’ to get Beyoncé - Single Ladies as result. You can also search on ‘Sin be ies la’ to get Beyoncé - Single Ladies as result.

You cannot search on Beyonce to get Beyoncé as a result (e and é are treated as an independent character).

Click the word search field, and use your computer keyboard to enter text into the field. All tracks containing that text will be shown in the track list.

The following information can be referenced during searches in Engine Prime: Search All, Artist, Title, Album, Length, Date Added, Key, Comment, BPM, Track #, Genre, Year, Label, Composer, Mixartist, Filename, File Type, Date created.

To search for multiple words, enter a space between each word. All tracks that include all of the words will be shown in the track list.

To show tracks with the word(s) you entered only within a specific category, click the magnifying glass icon, select a category, and enter text into the word search field.

The following information can be referenced during word searches in Engine OS: Search All, Artist, Title, Album, Length, Date Added, Key, Comment, BPM, Genre, Year, Label, Filename

Both in Engine Prime and Engine OS you can select the catogories you want to search by turning them on or off (i.e. title, artist, filename can be used at the same time), and you can toggle between search all and your selection (i.e. title, artist, filename)

1 Like

@addie Do you know if there are any plans to extend the categories that Engine OS can search? I have some metadata saved on the MixArtist id3 tag but am unable to use that when mixing with my Denon. I could move to comments but it would mess up other information that I have in the comments