SD Card Slot

Is the SD when used just seem slower than USB in loading tracks on to players? (Prime 4)

It depends on the type and class of sd card top end ones dont really have a noticable difference unless you have a large all over the place library on it

As someone who does a bit of photography, a fast SD card will be considerably faster than a USB stick but also a lot more expensive, and I don’t even know if the Prime units support the UHS-ii standard.

I’ve found buying a cheap SSD for the SATA slot underneath to be easily the fastest option, importing my whole 6000 track library in about 10 minutes.

2 Likes

Iam using a SanDiskUltra 32gb micro. On the second player (SD/source in player one), which is connected via Engine Connect, it feels sometimes the player have to wait to read the data.

• Libary freeze for a second
  • Tracks are loading very slowly for like 2 seconds
  • When fast loading, play and beatjump in a fast sequenz, the player freezes for like 1,5 seconds but continue do his normal thing after that

Same feeling when HDD was in sleep mode at that time on PC’s. Strange things only on the second player with the shared source.

Source is like 700 tunes big saved as mp3 320 format.

As you mentioned there are some master class very expensive sd cards for like photography. My sd card was compared to that very cheap.

Is there any way to solve my freeze behavior with a good USB Stick? I also tried a old Samsung SSD 128gb from the frist genration… then, even the main player freezes. I assume the ssd is just toasted.

Iam scared to invest money for a USB stick / master class SD to get no better results of it when the problem is pherhaps the player themselve

I also assume, please correct me if iam wrong, while the sd card slot is seperat hardware wired and not connected to the internal USB Hub system, the overall speed of the sd card slot is maybe slower then the USB hub with a solid stick.

Thanks for all the input. I only will buy the more expensive SATA,SSD,&USB all Samsungs best but that comment of all over the place make a lot of sense because it is my whole library on them.

Afaik on the SC5k/6k units the blue-coded rear ports have a fast USB3 data bus, while the front port and SD slot are based on USB2. It should be similar for the AiO units. Mind the color coding of the ports, the blue ones are the faster ones. Not sure about the orange on certain Akai devices. The black ports as well as SD slots are at least USB2 which means 480Mbit (which is more than enough for music and waveform data I/O, the rest is buffered by the RAM anyway).

I use the regular SanDisk Extreme with 90MB/s and have zero issues on my devices (Mixstream, Live4, Force). I consider getting an UHS-II card since my MacBook Pro supports it, however it would only help for import/export from Engine Desktop, so certainly not a priority for me.

Thanks for that info. Color coded things are not mentioned on any manual. But great to know going forward!