SC6000M Internal SSD Drive broken

Hi, I wanted to tell you about the following problem I have had.

I have had an SC6000M unit for approximately a year. From the moment I acquired it, I installed a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD in the internal slot. The hard drive, formatted as exFAT, was 90% occupied by music (about 850GB approx.), previously analyzed with Engine DJ desktop, Windows version. Everything has been working perfectly.

The use that I have been giving to the unit has been domestic and very occasional, at most once or twice a month, at a particular level.

Last weekend the unit suddenly stopped working. It stayed on the Engine OS boot screen, without moving forward. The version is the latest 3.3.0

I removed the SSD drive and plugged it into a case and later into my laptop, I was able to verify that the hard drive had died, in addition to the fact that the unit already booted the OS perfectly and read the USB drives.

Maybe it was just bad luck, but… Has it happened to anyone else? Any recommendations to prevent it from happening again? Any brand and model of hard drive that is more reliable? Is FAT32 or exFAT better?

Thank you. Greetings.

3 Likes

Thank you very much. I’ll try and report here result.

@jatoro If you require further assistance

1 Like

ExFAT is far superior to Fat32 in so many ways. I mean it’s no BtrFS, NTFS, APFS, Ext; but it’s better than Fat32 for sure.

Fat32 was released in 1996 and should be avoided as much as possible.

Also, I am not saying that the Filesystem used was a culprit, just added this since you asked.

1 Like

Especially if you’re keeping it inside the Prime player and it’s not doing double duty as an external drive for a variety of players.

2 Likes

Thanks very much. I am waiting to save some time to try @PKtheDJ suggestion.