SC6000M Backspin

Hi all,

I own the SC6000M players, love them. Been an old school vinyl dj forever and never took to the CDJ non moving platter. Jumped all over the Sc6000M when they came out.

Was mixing the other day and turned the vinyl motor off. As I’m not used to a non moving platter it was good to get a feel for it. Anyways, I tried a backspin with the motor turned off and to my surprise it didn’t work. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Hi @Nils_McKim ! Welcome to the community!

This feature is by design, and nothing wrong w/ your device.

The device wouldn’t be able to recognize the backspin as “normal” platter movement (as you’re thinking it would) because with the motor off, input from the spindle is no longer viewed from the perspective if the motor was on.

See point #14 from the user guide:

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I you want the feel of the 12’s doing a backspin then I would suggest putting wax paper under the slip mats just like we used to back in the 80’s and 90’s. I have it and feels like I’m skating on my wheels brother !

1 Like

Parchment paper. Wax paper leaves a residue :sob:

1 Like

Thanks for the replies guys. I Look forward to the discussions and being part of the forum

I’m comparing it to back spins on a CDJ - the platter is not moving however the deck must be Pioneers version of vinyl mode.

All makes sense

It’s true that a hybrid mode with the motor deactivated while still being able to do backspin or baby scratch would be welcome because I love mixing with the motor on to get that vinyle feel but sometimes I’d like to be able to use it like a fixed platter while still being able to scratch like the vinyl mode on a CDJ.

I don’t think it’s a technical limitation because if the motor is off but a track isn’t playing, the surface of the platter remains sensitive to scratching and therefore to backspin. It’s only when the song is in play mode that the scratch is deactivated with the motor off. So I think there’s something that can only be done in software to set up a hybrid motor off / scratch on mode.

Maybe @AIRVince could give us some details on the technical feasibility of this?

That’s because vinyl mode works where the spindle (where the encoder is) is moving relative to the base speed of the track. When the deck is stopped and still in “vinyl mode”, the spindle is still moving at the speed of the track (zero). So, when you move the spindle via the plate on the platter, the encoder will move, sending signals to the software to forward or reverse the sound file accordingly.

There are reasons (like the above) why this works the way it does.

Trying to do the things you folks mention are technically very difficult and leave loads of room for error because the plate can’t detect when you touch the platter, unlike the non-moving models.

Of course, I didn’t build the thing so I could be completely wrong.

1 Like

Way I do it is to hit pause then spin it back. Gets some getting used too mind.

The motor off button just turns it into a complete nudge jog with no “scratch” enabled