SC5000M bricked - Has firmware for SC5000

I bought a new and unused SC5000M a couple of days ago from a retailer and the device is bricked and unusable out of the box. None of the hardware buttons work, and it is not possible to open Settings from the screen either.

After some debugging and reading up on options, I discovered that it has the 1.2.2 firmware of SC5000 installed. See this picture from the boot-screen.

I’ve tried putting the device into firmware-update-mode using “MEDIA EJECT + SOURCE + LAYER” and connecting to my computer via USB. I can start “SC5000M Prime 2.1.1 Updater” on my Mac, it discovers the device, but then just hangs forever with a “Preparing update”-message. There is no response on the SC5000M. See picture below:

Is there some way to force a full factory reset or do a firmware upgrade from a usb-stick, or do I have to return the device?

1 Like

Perhaps update to 1.6.2 first, but it might not get that far. You should also go back to the retailer for a faulty product, but maybe @Anthony_DDJ can be of assistance.

Didn’t know it was possible to get a non-M firmware on an M device btw. Maybe in those days it could.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips.

I’ve contacted the retailer as well, but don’t expect any feedback from them until after the holidays, and was hoping to play with the device during the weekend.

I guess the next step I can try is some older firmware-versions.

Most of DenonDJ will also have days off, so it might just take too long indeed.

I’ve tried different older versions of the firmware now.

• SC5000M 1.6.2 Upgrader - Can’t connect. Hangs on “preparing upgrade”
  • SC5000 1.6.2 Upgrader - Update worked, but same issue as before:
  • Buttons don’t work
  • Can’t access settings
  • Upgrade to SC5000M-firmware does not work.

At least with 1.6.2 the device shows an error message: “The following peripherals did not come online during boot: SC5000 Controller(), SC5000 Display()”, so it’s quite clear that the issue is with the wrong firmware.

Can anybody help me out with older versions of the firmware for both SC5000 and SC5000M? Would be interested in trying 1.0, 1.2.x and 1.3.x for both devices. I’ve searched a bit, but seems the older upgrade-files are taken offline.

I don’t think we can do that much here. I hope staff is available Monday to get you some support.

1 Like

I went back to the retailer to get a new one. Firmware is correct on the second and everything works as it should.

I’ll mark this as solved, but if anyone like, feel free to add a generic solution to the wrong firmware-issue.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Glad to hear it was resolved. Feel free to DM me if you have any additional questions.

1 Like