SC5000 Play/Cue button replacement

Some places in Europe do them and in the US there’s these guys: Button, Cue/Play / Pause - Denon DJ - PT07106315

(Apparently no longer available from them though)

General I think it’s really bad from Denon site if they not support with parts available

I had a phone call with a big german dealer about the mixer last year. Later we spoke 'bout the crappy plastic Play/Cue Buttons of my SC5000M although. I think he told me, the SC6000 will fit and there made from rubber! Ask for that, and if its really true they will ship worldwide:

Thomann is one of the best retailers in Germany and I think one of the largest in Europe.

I can highly recommend them!

But they send the Denon stuff to inMusic and are not fixing it themselves.

So the quickest will be to get in touch with inMusic.

I wonder if the one or two people searching for replacement “buttons” are really after buttons (the visible rectangle) or are actually after the tac switch which is the actual electrical bit which is hidden under the rectangle… and has its own part number and is in deep stock in most regions worldwide.

1 Like

There’s some relatively new-ish ‘right to repair’ laws in the UK (not sure about Europe) but unfortunately they don’t cover items like these. Washing machines/TVs/dishwashers etc and the easy-to-fix stuff is made available to the consumer. More trickier stuff has to go to a repair centre but they can request the part.

It’s just a shame the law doesn’t seem to extend to AV gear as a whole as parts for home repair now have to be made for many years after the item was sold.

I need a button, swith is ok.

It would be interesting to see if the SC6000 play/cue plastic button assembly is backwards compatible with the SC5000. Like mentioned previously, these are rubberized on the top (although I bet the cheap plastic that breaks is still the same). I think I asked Denon a few years back and they said they won’t fit, but I can’t remember and wouldn’t take some customer support rep’s word for it anyways. If anyone has a picture of the new button assembly and can repost, or can find where to get the SC6000 version, that would be great.

Seem to be pluses and minuses to both. The plastic ones can break, but they also provide a discrete range of motion assuming you don’t break them past that range of motion, while the range of motion on rubber buttons is variable and allows you to really abuse the tact switches. In my experience, the tact switches underneath last longer with hard buttons like on the SC5000, even if the button itself might not last forever like a rubber button on the SC6000 or the older Denon DJ units made in Japan.

Someone did tell me a few years back that the seemingly-indestructible rubber buttons on an old Hercules I had back then had something called ‘bubble switches’ or something like that underneath that were different and commonly used in the military. If they became intermittent, you just needed contact cleaner or even just mineral oil to get them working again. I have no direct tech experience with these bubble things, but it was strange that a little Hercules had no rubber buttons that required particularly more force than any other button on it and the unit was old and abused, as compared to every other piece of DJ gear with rubber buttons that eventually required more force.