Samsung T5 SSD life expectancy?

Good day everyone.

I don’t know if the question is naive, but I have no clue what to expect. It’s been 3 years now that I use the 1tb T5 SSD with the Prime Go + with the desktop app and I’m wondering if I should be worried. The disk is connected to my devices countless hours every day, preparation, gigs, you know …

Thanks in advance.

Greetings, Kosmas.

No need to worry, just make sure your music is properly backed up.

2 Likes

Some reading online says you shouldn’t worry too much.

Not the go-to place I’d using stop by but worth a read to put your mind at rest as it quotes sources:

1 Like

… I can understand that there’s no estimate for those devices, plus it depends on the use, ok … but, if I put it differently, do you have an estimate for your drives in your devices?? Do you change your ssd’s every, like, 2-3-10 years ???

Thanks again…

Ok, that’s good news, I’m covered !! Thanks again !!!

Im still running the OG one in my 2015 MacBook Pro and its had probably billions of transactions on it, and at least 3 OS rebuilds, and it’s still running perfectly.

1 Like

Back up back up back up

Anything can fail, Samsung premium SSDs usually have a 5 year warranty, the QLC ones are three years.

I have a 12 year old mechanical WD 3TB drive that’s still working. Never leaves home though.

3 Likes

Always backup and have double medias for gigs. if you’re worried about the reliability you can test your ssd with dedicated sw. Working with hardware sales for more than 15 years I have seen many SSD failures, from almost brand new to very old ones. In theory it should “last forever” talking about write/read cycles, but real world is very different :joy:

2 Likes

Thak you very much.

Mufasa thanks and yesss, back up regularly, of course !!!

STU-C, same here, never had a failure with my SSD’s, OS rebuilds and everything …

rcatelli, thank you. I perform with my sd card, which contains the playlist(s) that I’m going to need to cover the gig, plus I always have with me the -big storage drive- T5, just in case I need to scroll for a while, usually at the end of my allnighters …

I appreciate your time!!!

1 Like

Buy a backup SSD to carry with you

SSDs can fail just like any other item

When an old HDD starts to fail you usually get some warning, sometimes even several weeks of warning, like extra clicks or noises or it being slightly slower on access times etc

When a SSD goes it tends to be…. It was working last night but won’t work today

2 Likes

Pasha, thanks!

I have 2 Sandisc Extreme Pro sd’s for the material of my gigs, plus the big ssd as a back up, which has everything (my whole songlist, sessions and all my playlists), just in case that something bad happens to my sd.

I don’t always use the big ssd, only if I want to search for something outside of my scheduled program, or if something bad happen, of course.

And yes, you’re right, I have allready a 2nd backup ssd … I am very insecure with those things and I try to always be covered … sorry for the language …

I make a backup with the Engine software, I keep a copy of the Engine folder in other storages, also with the Sync manager I export all the lists, I do all this weekly, is it enough? Or would I need to save something else as a backup? The truth is that I don’t make an exact copy of the C drive: but using the Sync manager in this way would it be enough? I also have to add that I have a list that I also export called the entire collection and there I save all the files as a backup list

1 Like

Dear all,

I’m often asked, “could you pls help”.

Of course I will try, give me pls your backup …

The rest you can imagine

Regarding my Music:

I have a clone of my USB-Stick regulary I make a copy of “Engine Library”

regulary I make a copy of my store

• How often I will copy, depends how much I have changed (e.g. cues, loops, beatgrid)

• how important the changings are and how difficult it will be, to repeat the work

• If I only add one track to the store —> feel free to copy, but if I had added some more tracks it will make sense to make a copy

and btw: Muphy is watching us

Brgds BeatMaster

1 Like

Robocop Murphy Reface GIF - Robocop Murphy Reface - Discover ...

2 Likes

Dear @mufasa,

Murphy knows, why to wear an armour, but missing protection helmet and face protection :innocent:

Enjoy and brgds BeatMaster

1 Like

That good ol’ Murphys Law, which says if the R can fall out of something, it will.

1 Like

If there was a read-only mode, potentially longer than your life expectancy is, but with all the writes happening, it’s hard to say.

1 Like

I worked in IT in the late 90’s when things went wrong all the time and backup options were expensive. Back then it was always a balance of cost of storage v cost of replacing data.

Now with storage being so cheap it really is simple as backup as often as it would be a pain to lose stuff.

If you haven’t made any/many changes in a month then a month old backup would be fine, but if you had just had a monster import/prep session yesterday, then your 2 day old backup would make you want to cry when you reload it.

It takes no time to backup these days so I would say the simple answer would be if it takes you longer to redo the work than do a backup, then backup.

Which reminds me… :slight_smile:

/edit Oh, and backup in more than 1 place. Ideally 1 should be cloud based now.

1 Like

My main DJing drive is a 1Tb Samsung T5, & I’m really happy with it. But one thing’s for certain, at some point it will die.

The trouble is, I’ve no idea if it will be tonight, or in 5 years time! :slight_smile:

So my backup regime for my DJing drive is as follows;

T5 (gig drive) is cloned weekly to another 1Tb portable SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner (Mac app). These two drives go to gigs. Any problems, I can just use the clone instead.

My T5 is also cloned to another SSD which stays at home.

When I’m connected at home, that T5 (if plugged in) is also included in my whole systems Time Machine backup, which happens every hour.

I’ve also got a separate backup regime for my master music collection that lives at home. …but 'll save that for another post.

1 Like

I use two T5 SSDs, stored in two different locations (buildings), for flip-flop backups. Should one fail, the main system data and second SSD are still there - and simply grab a new one. So far, no issues.

For my gigs, I rely on SD cards (SanDisk Extreme).

Storing some especially crucial documents / data in the personal cloud never hurts either. Usually 50GB just cost around 99ct/month.

1 Like