Rolls Looking at them on the prime go

What are they useful for, the rest of the features and functions make sense, but I have no idea what to do with this feature and there seems to be no good tutorials or examples?

Cheers.

Roll is a temporary loop with slip functionality. Works when You hold down the button and keeps the track moving forward in the background. When You release the button, the track will jump forward to the place where it would be during normal playback. This way you can create stutter effects for buildups or censor not wanted parts or spice up the beat when it’s very static. It’s up to You to find the best way in Your workflow to use the tools that You have.

Maybe this will help a bit:

Yeah on the P4 you have the censor button, so makes sense to have something to do the same for it on the go. However 8 buttons for a stutter seems crazy, especially when I can’t see anyone actually using it. So that’s 4 + Bank functions that could be used for something else that more people would use.

My you’ve partially answered my question, so thank you for that, as I’d not thought about using them for censor in the absence of a dedicated button, but what about the other 7 options, have you seen a DJ use them in a set?

I use all pad functions in a set, so I assume some other djs use all options that are available. I do a lot of battle style mixing, but I use a Prime 4 or full SC players setup.

I agree, that more banks for hot cues or loops are good to have, but on the prime GO you trade in features over portability. So need to deal with what You have. Good practice is to buy devices based what they offer now, not what they could offer in the future, if an update comes…

2 Likes

Do you have an example, excluding for censoring bad words from a song, where you use rolls and all 7 options for them, so from tiny short rolls, to the longest?

My points is I understand that you can use roll to replace the censor button. But there are 8 rolls options with the bank, from very short to quite short. I don’t see a use for them. But in the interest of learning, I’ve not seen them used in a set either.

Jumping in vocals with slicer to create melodic parts out of it, stutter beats, and create buildups/breakdowns. I play very aggressive and fast music. So many glitchy fx and stutters are all there. I don’t censor words, I use censor for temporary reverse without losing the beat match.

The rolls are 8 lengths, I usually use parts from 1 beat and down. Longer rolls are not that needed for me.

I will look up on Yt. For sure You can look up also Ethan Leo on YT, he uses 120% of each denon gear.

If you can find an example on YT, it would be much appreciated, having had a short play, I understand the sound, but haven’t heard it used, or at least not recognised it being used.

1 Like

Moin to everbody and @DJChil,

I’m not sure, if you are looking for assistance especially for PRIME GO or in general for “Roll”. I’m using the PRIME 4 and this link assisted me a lot. Phps. it will be helpful for you as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDBrvgcQ2yg

if you tick for more, e.g. item

1:20:31 and 1:20:20 you will find some examples and solutions for your issue.

I trained it a little and I’m surprised how many effects you can create. Tip: Record your experiments and listen to your creations :innocent:

Have some fun

Brgds

BeatMaster

2 Likes

As I have the go and the p4, either works. It’s not an effect I’ve seen used, so can’t get my head around it.

I actually had a post on one of the teaching forums showing it doubling the beat, to create some energy,

I had seen the [Digital DJ Tips] video, it’s an awesome video and a must see for anyone with a prime 4, but the roll explanation didn’t just gel for me, especially the triplets bit.

I have created this little help video for the 3/4 effects and triplets…

@DJChil

1 Like

Hey @DJChil

I also never use this function, that’s the bank I choose for the stems functionality when I play with Serato or VDJ using stem separation.

In standalone mode I don’t use it.

1 Like