Relocate Missing Tracks - Engine DJ (Desktop)

I hope this is as good as you say. I’m gonna try this. If so, I think you saved my life. Because engines software is ■■■■. Sorry. Like everybody on this forum I love the hardware. Their is top notch. And yes, the value cannot be Overstated. But this software is mind-boggling stupid. I’m not a hater. I want to love it but I just can’t. After months and months of struggling to get my library together, I still put in a USB and I’m totally completely missing tracks! That’s just ridiculous.

I’ve used rekordbox for years and never even thought about issues with my library. IT JUST WORKED. If files were missing there was a big giant exclamation point. I could sort those files. Relocate them. Or delete them completely. It was fast and easy.

Not to mention the tagging which is simple and genius. Trenton, please stop trying to make your own rules and just Pioneer already. It is what it is!

These are basic functions that Denon needs to implement immediately. Honestly they really need to get their ■■■■ together on this. ■■■■ lighting!

Because I’m about to sell these players and go back to pioneer simply because of record box? Which is crazy. I hope lexicon is the answer. If so I am going to build a shrine to you for suggesting this software.

I’m truly sorry that this is such an anger and F bomb post but I’m sitting here this morning trying to fix this once AGAIN. Beyond frustrated!!

2 Likes

Perfect and logical

Then You need to sort out Your file management. There is always a single nice folder on a drive named music. There all sub folders are the genres. Inside these folders are files that are named in a simple way: Artist - Track name (mix/remix/year).

This way I can find any track I have without any need of any software or search engine. Basic computer browser is all I need. I transferred this to Engine - never had a smallest issue with missing, broken, corrupted tracks. All works as intended and all tracks get transferred to usb/sd. No red files, no broken data base. Just simply works since first engine in 2017. I used to do the same before in Rekordbox - same good results.

Hehe i remember the times i got lyslef worked up like this as well…

The thing is… Denon gear, it works, not from the first time and always after tons of work-arounds to get the very same result as the competition. It’s up to us to get to know those workarounds and it’s cruising.

But yeah it’s kinda frustrating that a major player in dj gear like denon seems to fall behind…

New features like streaming and lighting are constantly in devellopment… but their very fundamental features where the whole base of ergonomics are based on are not on point yet (or the ones that are finally on point get changed…)

Take a few steps back, keep breathing and let’s take the level of complaints as most constructive as possible, this way an error can be studied and even sorted from all pov’s.

Agreed! It’s frustrating AF! But never forget, we all are in the same boat here, you’re not alone ^^

Grtz. N

1 Like

Well the good news is the engineering gods have listened and blessed us with a result.

v2.4.0

• 13/12/2022

New Features

• Relocate Missing Files - Missing files can now be located via a manual or automated process. To relocate files, right-click on a missing (red) file to see the two new relocate options.
1 Like

wait whut!? oh my … i am so curious!!! (it’s kinda unbelievable tho’ :D)

The auto-relocate feature is not working for me.
I can manually relocate it and that works, but auto-relocate logic does not seem to be fully there yet. Can we get an explanation from Denon on how this works? Can we configure preferential disks or directories for the auto-search feature to comb?

1 Like

@xopethx

The user guide on enginedj.com is up to date with 2.4, explaining the relocate:

If tracks have been moved from their original location from when they were added to Engine DJ, they will appear in red text in your collection and will be inaccessible until they are relocated. You can easily relocate one or multiple tracks to add them back to your collection by doing the following.

To manually relocate a missing track’s file:

1. In the track list, right-click on the track you want to relocate and select Relocate Missing File.
  2. Use the window that appears to navigate to the track location on your drive and select it. The file window will open at the last known location of the missing track.
  3. Engine DJ will update the track to be associated with the selected file and the track will return to displaying in white text. The ID3 track information will also be updated according to the new file. If the track title, filename, file size, or track length of the relocated file differs from the original file, a warning message will appear to notify you. Cues, loops, and beat grid information of the original file will be retained.

To automatically relocate all missing files:

1. In the track list, right-click on any missing track and select Auto Relocate All.
  2. Engine DJ will begin scanning your Desktop, Music and Documents folders, and all connected drives (including Dropbox, if connected) for the missing tracks. Tracks will be scanned by file name first, followed by length if there are multiple file name matches.
  3. If file matches are found, Engine DJ will update tracks the same as above. Any files that do not match in name and length will remain missing. If multiple matches are found, Auto Relocate will not select one and the track will remain missing.

Note: When searching on macOS devices, file names must have a case-sensitive match. Auto Relocate will not search in your Downloads or Trash folders, or select packed files such as those in the Engine Library folder. If a drive is force ejected during the scan, the Auto Relocate process will stop.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.