Relocate Missing Tracks - Engine DJ (Desktop)

So you manually drag the folders from your drive into Engine desktop, as opposed to using the sync function?

Yeah, if you do this in small loads it goes faster & you have more control (imo) instead of waiting on the sync tool to do it’s thing. It isn’t that stable… (imo)

Yeah that’s what I meant, I found the sync function a bit unreliable. But maybe I just have to go the old school drag and drop way then. Thanks for your input, mate!

1 Like

That sounds like a recipe for lots of duplicate files. Which is fine if you don’t want accurate play counts and are happy putting cues on multiple files etc.

Sometimes files get moved/changed it’s a very basic function that EVERY other serious DJ software supports.

So it’s great that you don’t need it, but it’s clear that many many others would find it useful.

I like Lex, but Denon users shouldn’t have to pay £360 per year to fix Denon basic issues.

If lex was a one off charge maybe, but not on a sub basis.

No you don’t need that function.

I do. The fact that it’s there in serato, rekordbox, mixx etc, shows lots of people need it.

The fact that you don’t is fine. But that’s like saying I don’t use loops to dj with and then saying no-one needs that functionality.

I know DJ’s in clubs that only play a small number of songs and don’t do requests, so they have it easy.

Others will deal with hundreds of requests each week, one DJ’s requirements are not the same as anothers.

1 Like

Don’t pull one word out of context. That completely changes what is said…

I wrote: “If You have a fixed place for Your music, and don’t move them after adding to the collection in Engine Dj, You don’t need that function.”

Read the whole sentence not just a part of it…

1 Like

Firstly that’s not one word. That’s a whole sentence

Secondly doesn’t change what you’ve said. Feel free to clarify if you think that your original post wasn’t clear.

Perhaps use quotes to make it more readable ?

1 Like

Still not clear?

Yeah, that’s still a whole sentence, not a word and it still doesn’t change the meaning.

You don’t need it.

I have a hard drive, which is a fixed place for music.

Multiple hard drives, multiple USBs.

Most DJs do.

Plus Engine DJ doesn’t reliably sync files, sometimes you don’t have a choice but to move an item into a new playlist to get it working.

So your point still is that you don’t need it so no-one else should get the function right?

1 Like

I don’t get why You can’t understand that simple sentence.

Maybe this will be more clear: If You don’t move Your tracks after adding to the collection, You don’t need relocate function. Clear now?

Not relevant. I don’t say the option is not needed. I say it is not needed when You keep Your music in one place after adding to engine.

Thats why, it is wise to not move the music after adding it, to avoid issues. If the functionality is not there, we need to work with the tools we have. Complaining about it, will not make your music magically relocate. Devs already know how much users want this function, so they will eventually add it. When? This I don’t know. And I am never against any upgrades or improvements. Just for now - work with what came in the box, not what it could be in the future…

So your point makes sense except if you look at the history, there are about 1k upvotes for the functionality, which is more than features that have been put in place.

However the feature keeps getting closed.

So for me the devs either need to put one request in place and prioritise according to the votes it gets, or perhaps explain that due to engine being db driven we may never get it as it’s not possible.

1 Like

The voting shows what people want, but does not show what the people that are in charge want. As much as I would love to have some features also implemented, they are still not there, but I will not complain about it. I bought the gear for what it can do NOW not for what it maybe could do in the future. Of course, it is nice, that we get improvements and updates, some things are easy to implement, so they do it, some stuff has internally maybe more sense from the other point of view. When You run Your business You prioritize things that drive have most sense to you than to others. Others are not in Your situation, so can’t decide for You. I patiently wait, instead of shouting all over the place that I want this, now, and it’s not acceptable that it’s not done now! LOL like a spoiled teenager… This is not the point of the voting and upgrades system. I think we need to be actually thankful that all the features that were not in our Denons since day 1 got added for free, giving more options and value to our devices. For relocate - let’s wait and see what they come up with. I bet they have some technical difficulties that postpone this feature. To get more functionality the data base was re-written from the ground up at version 2.0. This maybe one of the crucial steps back then, now they move forward from that…

No because I do move my music and so do other people, so you limiting the need to one specific thing that doesn’t in your view does not require it, doesn’t mean that everyone works the way you do.

So we are back to my point. You don’t need the function. That’s great, but others do.

You start the sentence with a conditional, if, if that doesn’t apply, then the rest of the sentence doesn’t.

2 Likes

Difficult? How difficult is a drag and drop operation? That’s just strange…

So you’ve got 250,000 tracks.

10% are in the wrong place.

How easy is 25,000 drag and drops in engine?

even if it was one drag and drop, it takes engine ages to re-analyse and process those 25,000.

For comparison every other professional DJ software will sort this issue in 10-25 minutes.

1 Like

First I move my tracks to right place, then edit their names and tags. Then add to Engine.

1 Like

What may feel “right” today, may feel not right tomorrow :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

let’s recap.

EVERY OTHER music management- or DJ-app (free or pay) has the feature… Engine is (still) missing out.

Period.

1 Like