Recording to USB Error

A few seconds after starting to record to USB, i get an error message saying the USB is too slow and the recording stops!

Using a Kingston Datatraveller 128gb 3.0

Anyone know why?

Thanks

Kingston’s are sprinters not long-distance runners.

Some usb memory will capture small bursts of data quickly but can’t sustain that rate of input for more than a few seconds at a time.

Try different brands or a hard drive with a good sized cache

I had this happen when I tried to save to the same USB I was using to load tracks from. Is that the issue?

I have two of the same make in, i tried recording to both, the one i was playing from lasted about 30 seconds, the non playing drive lasted about 15 minutes…

Yes - bandwidth. Try walking out a single doorway at the same time someones trying to walk in through it

is there a way to fix it? My guess would be no. It’s a bit sad, I recorded 3 hours without any problems and after a few weeks this is happening…

Yes. Use faster better usb devices which can cope with sustained data flow, not just bursts

what brand would you prefer?

Try Sandisk from a reputable supplier, not eBay

SanDisk Extreme Pro, I use also.

I also use SanDisk’s usb sticks, they never faild me since 6 years - yes the oldest one I have (32GB) still does the job. I can fully recommend SanDisk usb’s.

Thanks, I’ve got a sandisk extreme SD card knocking about, do you think that will work better until i get hold of an SSD?

Yes I have this stick, and it’s very slow even reading tracks. I don’t use it anymore on the SC5000’s. The speed difference to a “normal” stick from adata is huge. SanDisk extreme pros are the best choice.

On SD cards it’s easier to see its performance, they have a logo of a number with a circle or some arrows around it. The higher the number, the faster the SD card, so a 10 in a circle is a fast card but… that still doesn’t tell you if it can sustain high data flow or can just deal with a couple of big photos being dumped on it every couple of minutes.

There used to be a web page which had a compare table of all the different usb flash drives and their sustained data rates. I haven’t been on it for ages though

To ensure you can read/write (play/record) on the device without issue, it is important to use high quality media devices. I would recommend a reputable brand (SanDisk, Samsung, etc…) with a read speed of at least 100MB/s.

Here are a few options that have served me well over the years.

SD

USB

SSD

Please note these are my personal suggestions based on my use and not an official Denon DJ recommendation.

2 Likes

I can recommend SanDisk Ultra USB. 5 Years used, still working perfect. Also bought new last year, works great.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.