Recording stopped drive speed too slow

Hi.

I’ve had my prime 4 for 18 months. Use it around 2 or 3 times a month. In my home. Never had any issues until a few months ago. Using the same USB3 64gb I’ve always used and now I keep getting this error when recording. Usually does it within 10 minutes of starting a mix but sometimes can be half hour in.

I’ve googled this a number of times and it’s always the same thing. It’s nothing to do with my flash drive. This has only recently started happening.

I’ve noticed it happens more when I’ve changed a setting in user profile when recording a mix or when plugging mic in or unplugging it.

I am playing off the same usb I’m recording on which has never been a problem. I’ve recorded probably a 100 mixes and never had an issue and now all of a sudden this happens on every other mix.

This is making me want to sell my prime 4 as it’s sucking the fun right out of it for me and making me not want to even bother.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would copy everything off, format the drive and copy it back. If that still doesnt work I would buy a faster USB stick/drive or use one usb for your music and a 2nd one for recording

2 Likes

I’m in the process of doing a none quick format. I’ve also just bought this

sandisk extreme pro® usb 3.2 solid state flash drive.

Says it has 3-400mb write speeds. Think the one I use does 100mb.

What I can’t understand is why this only recently became an issue. It was around the time of a big patch, can’t remember which one but denon obviously messed up as this never happened before.

they are always adding and updating new features etc so its possible the update is causing you issues. Its also possible your drive has degraded, usb sticks are not always the most reliable of things and they can get worn out. I doubt you will have issues with your new drive, good luck :+1:

1 Like

The other consideration is that usb sticks can get bad. Despite their simplicity on the outside, inside there’s a lot going on, and they suffer more and more bad sectors the more they’re used.

Think of bad sectors on a drive as potholes in a road; potholes that takes the system extra time to “drive around” - the more potholes in the usb stick, the slower the data gets written as the system searches for healthy spaces to save data.

Also remember that the quoted drive speeds are often only burst speeds not sustainable speeds

1 Like

I had the same error using a 64gb USB with my music on and recording. I also bought the sandisk extreme pro usb 3.2 solid state flash drive and never had a problem since. It is really fast.

Out of interest, do you use the new fast one only for recording and play music from the 64gb or do you use the new fast one for both? Interesting you have the exact same set up lol.

What a fantastic reply, the explanation with the pot holes. I read this to my 71 year old mother and she knew exactly what you was talking about. Bravo :clap:

1 Like

How do I quote replies?

I use the sandisk extreme pro for recording only and the 64GB with my music on.

Drag your mouse over the text you want to quote and click the quote button that appears.

Thanks! Well I just had a sesh, 2 hours playing and recording from the new flash drive. No issues whatsoever. Might start doing what you do though and just use it for recording.

1 Like