Recording a DJ mix with Prime GO

Any tips when recording a DJ mix with the denon prime go?

I’m noticing they sound flat after the fact. I’m playing house and techno wavs and aiffs. Quality well mastered tracks.

I keep the master at 0 and the gains around +1 or so.

Should I be doing something special to give it some brightness and body?

Hi, the best thing to do is master the mix after the fact. Audacity is free and you can ‘normalise’ the levels in there with a single click which should make it sound better.

3 Likes

Hey @JAMIE_MCCUE I was using a GO for all of my mixes (until I switched HW) and was not having any issues as you suggest. I ran everything through Cloudbounce after the fact to get “Radio quality” but I was usually pretty happy wit the raw file too… Does it sound good through Headphones on the unit (either during recording OR on playback)?

1 Like

Isn’t it actually prefered that the recordings sound ‘flat’? To me at least it could refer to a neutral frequency response, which I assume is exactly what we want.

Without examples, we can only guess what is going on. Too little ‘brightness and body’ can indicate too little high end and 150Hz. But is that what you mean?

I once measured the recording quality of my Prime 4 with RMAA and found it to be pretty transparent. It did have a roll-off in the high end but if I recall correctly that was only from 18kHz and up. I would expect the GO to have the same performance.

Please provide level matched audio examples from the source versus the recording. Level matching is very important to make a fair judgement because our brain tends to prefer louder signals by confusingly judge them as ‘better’.

2 Likes

I guess playing the mix back through the Prime Go itself and whatever speakers are attached is a good idea too, then you’re comparing like for like.

Hopefully the tonal balance should be pretty darn similar to the actual tracks. As already mentioned above, the change in volume does trick the brain - if you play them at the same level, you (hopefully) shouldn’t be able to tell much of a difference - if any.

In the name of Science, ive recorded my first ever mix on a Denon device… I then added it to Audacity, then added it again, ive ‘normalised’ the 2nd version then merged them. Below is the link to hear the before and after, it re-plays the normalised version just after 11 minutes.

Excuse the dodgy erratic mixing :slight_smile:

Be glad it’s flat.

it’s the mix with enough headroom so you can make it ready for streaming.

A mix that clips gets distorted and can’t be fixed, A mix that’s enough under the peak level ranges can be “boosted” towards the louder ranges without distortion.

Ok you need to edit, but you got a clean take.

i found this tutorial very insightfull.

2 Likes

This, pretty much.

Much in the same way a photographer appreciates a flat, colourless RAW file to work on in post… the DJ should appreciate the flat, colourless WAV file for working on in post :slight_smile:

I do the same with my mixes straight out of the Prime GO, run through audacity to normalise the track before I upload.

And having done photography for years you are spot on with RAW file analogy in this respect Stu. :+1:

2 Likes

I used to ramp the gain up on my Serato recordings then post as is, did this for years before realising how easy it is to just record a flat file and edit afterwards.

I had loads of issues with clipping back then too if i hadnt set it up quite right.

Link no worky no more! :confused:

1 Like

Not sure why that was… weird. Should work now.