Record Level Too Low - How To Adjust?

Luke isn’t buying the gear. He gets it for free.

My point is there’s probably nothing actually wrong with the Prime 4 record feature. The Prime 4 users are probably using it wrong. They’ve demonstrated repeatedly a lack of understanding on things like digital levels. I’ve just given you a high-end free course on how to use your DJ gear. Be thankful.

My bias is I purchased this stuff for nearly 7 grand and now it’s worth less than half that now because of a price drop, the introduction of the Prime 4 with many of the same capabilities at too low of a price IMO, and now they’re introducing feature requests I originated for the standalones but now instead for the Prime 4 first before the supposed flagship models.

Hence my request elsewhere for InMusic get on the ball with putting some truly advanced features on the standalones to make the early adopters of the standalones feel they didn’t flush their money away, especially since we’re the ones that propped this line up so they could put out a mobile DJ-marketed version out. Not to mention fix the audio quality. Etc. Etc.

Yes, I anticipated you would say the Laidback Luke gets his for free. Keep in mind, it is not only Denon equipment that he gets for free and he is more than likely paid for his “opinion”. We know this, but doesn’t undercut the review he did and how capable a unit this is for all levels.

yes, you’ve stated that before in your earlier posts about the prime 4 being too cheap(??).

Many of us bought the more expensive SC5000 units,mixers, etc but also kept up on what Denon was doing with pricing.

If you like your product then it may be well worth it, if not…sell it to get the more affordable P4. However, “YOU” did miss the opportunity to sell it when Denon had their first temporary price drop to salvage it’s value. I do see that Denon’s business model is not to just hold value on units but to give customers what they are requesting, therefore increasing brand name and overall market penetration.

Downing the P4 will NOT in any way convince Denon(InMusic) to change that strategy. We have to be individually savvy as to our purchases, price drops, etc.

Again, why come into a separate forum from your units and tell the owners of their product that their issues are not really an issue when you don’t own that particular product?

It’s your right to, but it changes nothing on pricing, what updates come out first, etc while sowing discord from others and prompting flagging, etc.

1 Like

I tried to add this to the last post and could not…

It’s possible something’s wrong with the Prime 4 record feature and I described how to find out, but no one managed to go ahead and easily demonstrate it as I outlined. It’s looking increasingly, though, like there isn’t.

When was there a temporary price drop I should have utilized to unload my units afterwards when it went back up to make some cash back, and what are the mechanics of that? The SC5000 was dropped down to a thousand bucks long after I bought mine and has remained there as far as I’ve noticed on new units. Once you do a price drop like that, let alone bring out a cheaper version, you greatly affect the aftermarket of used units from first adopters.

For the most part I’m talking about retaining resale value from the standpoint of respecting your early adopters’ risk-taking. We take a chance on early stuff and part of the way we hedge against some of that risk is on resale value. Obviously there’s inherent risk regardless, but some of this stuff seems to be setting a precedent here.

More hate on the Prime 4 i see. You just wont give in will ya cos ya spent 7k on gear and that makes ya all high and mighty that you can come into the Prime 4 forums which is mainly for Prime 4 users (Which you aint cos its to cheap for you) and just waffle nonsence to some issues that we are facing.

The Recording vol atm on the Prime 4 is to low and would be cool to get a recording Volume added to the software which i have put a request into. If you dont belive the ppl that are posting then i dont think we care cos you wouldnt know cos u dont own the Unit.

2 Likes

Please demonstrate. Make a video of you recording showing how you’re doing it, post the recording, and then edit the post with a link to the video. You might be right and I’m eager to see how quiet the level is. The one guy who did it LITERALLY MASTERED THE MIX FIRST BEFORE POSTING. Hah hah. Leave the recording as-is before you post it here. Doesn’t have to be long, but I do need to be able to see the meter levels on channels and master, etc.

1 Like

Sorry mate aint going to happen. I know what im hearing and it aint right and i aint slamming the master to the max cos ive got it locked down so that wont happen. Comes with the software ya see.

2 Likes

You have your master knob at its zero marking?

Where are your channel meters peaking? This should also be where the master meter shows when the fader is all up with the first sentence followed.

If you open the recording in an editor or DAW, what are the peaks at from 0dBFS clip?

Everything is top notch in the headphones and top notch coming from my speakers but the recording lvls are to low so i made a feature request to get a vol slider added just like Serato and the likes have. Simples.

That really has nothing to do with the recording. Your sound system and headphones all have separate volumes from the recording feed, which is right now apparently just the unity output level pre-master.

Where are you peaking on your channel meters?

I assume you’re running your fader all the way up and with no crossfader dip coming into play…

I agree with just about everything you said on the value part. Unfortunately, some decisions are out of the hands of the companies and come from above(InMusic). From a business perspective, it is very good practice to utilize a purchased company’s asset and try to get the biggest market immediately, regardless of push back from Denon in this case of retaining value.

Ok, here’s a primer on hardware value retention.

1. Almost never purchase early adopter items and expect to retain the initial value!! You have to take the ENTIRE risk squarely on your shoulders. To blame a company for competing with their own product is not being responsible for your own purchase.
  2. Keep up with rumors, industry sites that cover your product and immediate price drops. This is an indicator of the next version or completely different model that WILL affect your product when released.
  3. As soon as the price drop is announced, list your product. You will be surprised of how many people will purchase the unit at a higher price, particularly in places where it’s hard to get decent shipping.
  4. Use the early adopter product to make money to offset it’s initial purchase price, think of it as leasing the product and then your gigs actually pay for the product less what you sell it for.

Free lesson on products, value and taking responsibility for our own actions.

Now back to the topic. Those of us that have owned “many” competing products know when the levels are unusually low compared to standards.

The P4 has unusually low levels in recording. There are already videos on youtube showing this.

Also, to prove to someone who doesn’t own the unit and has no intention of purchasing the unit by recording a video is extremely wasteful of time.

The master volume has absolutely NO effect on recording levels on the P4. As many of us found out by trial and error and later confirmed by Jay of Denon, it is only the channel faders that affect the recording level. This in itself, is an anomaly from other products. Not necessarily bad, just different.

No need to demonstrate this to you, as you are assuming many of us reporting the issue are not technically inclined, this doesn’t make many want to take your suggestions seriously.

I’m quite a bit older than you, so just stating that though you may be technically right on SOME things this is NOT one of them.

No DJ I know, leaves the channel faders at the top of the range during their whole set, which is required to maintain decent recording levels on the P4.

2 Likes

Must say that when you release a standalone product with included recording option, there should be No need of ‘exporting’ the recording to a 3rd software, just to increase the volume and then import it back into the original location.

So if the users of the P4 thinks it record to low, it probably does.

3 Likes

Please post links to these.

It’s not wasteful when I can explain to you what’s going on and if there is an actual problem or not and how you or InMusic can resolve it.

Previous to finding out the master knob doesn’t affect record level, there was also the potential of it causing the recording to be a different level than people expected in another way… say, with people using the master to control their sound system level instead of putting it at its unity.

The master does not affect the record level apparently, but if you have it all the way up, it will motivate some people to run the channel levels LOWER to prevent the master meter from maxing out, behavior which will affect the record level.

You probably shouldn’t get in the habit of trying to guess people’s age on the internet.

You’d think so, but I already had a number who seemed to think 0dBVu on the meters was 0dBFS clip and had apparently never seen a full scale digital domain meter before.

I am not an expert in sound levels etc. like you. There is No doubt that when it comes to all these things you are The Grand Old Man who probably grow up with a some sort of sound-knowledge-drop in your veins…

But I do know when sound sounds good and bad

I do understand your comments about the ‘cheaper’ P4 and the fear (I have felt it to) of that it will get all the attention from Denon now, like what happened to the MCX8000 when the SC5000s came, but that is No reason to trashtalk the P4 owners.

They experience a issue, they tell Denon about it, and now we’ll just have to wait for them to get it solved. Hopefully they will adresse some of the issues we as SC5000 owners are experiencing first… Or maybe even get the BPM issues fixed all over the Prime series.

We ALL know that you know everything about sound.

When did I trash talk them?

Kinda like this:

And you’re saying they’re not mobile DJs or that the Prime 4 is not marketed to mobile DJs? It’s literally a mobile design.

They demonstrably didn’t know the basics of digital audio. That’s kind of the definition of what I said when I said “arguably-less-technically-inclined”.

Clearing up their confusion may have actually helped them find out there might not be anything even wrong with it.

There is NO ONE who knows as much about sound as you do… Even the most experienced sound tech Guy will be ‘less technically inclined’ compared to you :wink:

Goodnight fellas.

1 Like

Hah hah… we’ll see. :wink:

Waiting on those links, Prod. Youtube’s no help yet.

Yes, we found this out the hard way, again an anomaly compared to many products or they have a separate Rec level meter.
There is no suggestion YOU can come up with that will Fix this issue other than moving the channel faders up or possibly reducing the limiter in preferences. Only Denon can FIX this issue. You’re trying to make this an issue of ignorance of analog vs digital levels seemingly not understanding there is a problem on the unit of it being just too low, again overthinking the issue.

Agreed.

Their understanding of digital vs analog has no bearing on the overall outcome of the recording is too low. However, if you are interested in purchasing the unit and testing it for all of us to prove us wrong, then be my guest.

Turn it off.