Record Level Too Low - How To Adjust?

Haha, thanks - At least I’ve been warned!!

The laziness is not the simple act of listening in a car but rather not wanting to be bothered to adjust a volume control on the car stereo on a brand new raw DJ recording that was just made… god forbid.

Gotta say, that one cracked me up :joy:

Jeez, @crazycraig if the recording is a wee bit on the low side, just turn the volume up. Simple.

This is getting ridiculous now…

1 Like

Ok, sorry I mis-understood what you meant there. All I want is a way to adjust my recording level (on the unit). I really don’t give a rats ass whether you think I’m lazy or not. Considering you don’t even own a P4, I can’t understand why you are even involved in this discussion. With your “superior” intellect, surely you must have more knowledgable people to interact with than lazy ass me? :joy:

It’s actually got nothing to do with turning the volume up. It’s got everything to do with me being able to adjust the rec level. Sadly some people will use basic things like turn it up, to shift focus from the original topic. He has no valid reason for not wanting a rec level. He doesn’t even own a P4!!

I’ve stated repeatedly why putting a record level is an inferior idea to a normalization or +6dB volume boost post function.

Like the fact that when the master knob is at its unity you see exactly what the record level is minus one dB already… right now. The P4 currently does have a record metering capability in a manner.

And related to that above fact that it will be extremely easy to distort the sound of the recording without knowing it if a ± record level function is added.

Here is a video. Might take some time for Google to process it first.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll watch it. Anything to get the rec level up is good for me. It’s been fun arguing with you, but it’s over now. Get yourself a P4 - they really are great units - they record a little soft for my liking though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dude you’re the one who brought up listening to it in a car in the first place :joy: most well adjusted people would just turn it up in that situation rather than make a a fuss!

Too big still. Rather just bring one sc5000 and a mini mixer… Or just bring all the separates

The prime 2 also have low recording. Hope denon fix real soon on firmware

1 Like

Good stuff, just learnt that dynamic track average vs industrial track.

Thanks. Good to hear it’s useful for someone. Remember to use your ears. Bouncy meter only part of it. Average level and RMS isn’t taking into account frequency like LUFS does. So your ears always have a role to play even just setting the channel trims.

Sure, but I never said I was too lazy to turn it up, I just don’t want to have to crank the crap out of it to hear it nicely. I have a problem with the current recorded level. That’s my whole point here. I tested it & like the OP & others, wasn’t happy. I want a way to adjust the rec level for myself (others don’t have change it if they don’t want to), without cranking up my channel gains & turning down the master to compensate for that & changing the entire way I normally play. All that hassle for what, because someone feels I shouldn’t change the gain structure of my own recordings?

I understand what you saying and stand behind you on the issue. I feel the same as well hope they can address this issue in firmware

2 Likes

And I called it once again, folks.

Crazycraig… may I call you crazy? You’re messing up your recording levels much worse than normal… even more than some of the other people who do want InMusic to add some function down the line on this topic.

I’m going to harp on this topic until kingdom come:

STICK YOUR MASTER VOLUME CONTROL AT UNITY.

I really didn’t want to argue anymore man, but please make up your mind. You say if we want a hotter recording to turn up the channel gains, then at the same time tell us not to adjust the master & keep it at unity. So what then happens to the overall volume at a gig?? It gets too loud! I said… I want a way to adjust the record level WITHOUT cranking up channel gains & WITHOUT turning down the master to compensate for that. This topic is driving me crazy. If the P4 record level is 100% spot on according to design standards etc… thats great, however I & many other would like to have a way to increase the level without it affecting the overall volume at our gigs.

2 Likes

Tested with Prime2 here and previously with Prime4.

The challenge is to get the 0 on the mixer. The metering is quite small. There’s a reasonable level difference between a flashing and burning white led.

The test I did last night with a white noise and a sinus of 0dBFS at mixer 0dBu ended up -23dBFS in the recording. Still 5dB lower, so perhaps 0dBu is nearly the flashing of the second white led.

Ehm …

I tested what Reticuli said. And too my blowing mind, (damn … he is right…). We just readed our LED´s wrong. The channel LED´s have other readings, than the Master VU. The Master VU should be readed in last stage. At first (Crank) raise the Volume of your Channel that you just tip the blue LED. (That a minimum under 0dB - Thats what we all have readed wrong.) … Do it with all your Channel Level adjustments. After THAT … you set the Master LEVEL as much, untill you reach 0dB LED. … after that you can adjust your PA to the Volume you need. (No CLIP!)

Record now the Audio of your Channel with internal Recording …

After that, save the recording.

Use the Browsing Folder Icon. Go to sessions. Load your Record to Player 2

You can see, that the recorded material is as loud as the played song from channel.

Same readings in all LED´s.

So I must also say - Nothing wrong with the internal Recording.

The missleading comes from the LED´s and numbering of the MASTER VU. Because there is 0dB a white LED … and at the Channel LED´s, there is the last white LED 0dB reading.)

Master & Channel have different Scales.

2 Likes

This is the part I’m not happy with.

This is the part Reticuli says we must not do. he states emphatically to “keep your master at unity” So unfortunately without cranking the channel gains up to a way higher level than you would normally play at, currently the recording will be about -18db lower than you expect.

The primes definately need a record level adjuster to satisfy the number of users who’ve mentioned the low recording level. They’re gonna feel ignored by denon if nothing is offered soon