RATING is not imported by into EP (drag drop mp3 files)

Just found anothet BUG…

When importing new music into EP the rating is not copied.

“Re-import track info” does also nothing with the rating.

the tracks in this screenshot are MP3.

dear developers…

If you can fix this please also make sure that there is a metadata write function. For example if you change the rating in EP it only changes in EP. and not in the metadata of the MP3

Thanks in advance.

Is this windows rating you want to import? Does this get written in to the id3 tags or Is it some kind of windows like implementation of their own way of tagging?

I Use 4 programs to edit the rating and other tags.

• windows
  • previously I used rekordbox
  • Tag&Rename
  • dB poweramp

these programs work fine together. All of these progs can read/change the metadata. This is what I tested in EP:

• artist
  • title
  • genre
  • year
  • album
  • comment

If you change one of these items with the programs above it also changes in EP. (after you clicked on “Re-import track information”). If you change one of these items in Engine Prime it is ALSO changed is the Metadata.

BUT rating isn’t working.

Rating is just standard IDtagV2 information. I really don’t know why this ain’t working.

If you change Rating with the programs above nothing happens in EP If you change Rating with Engine Prime it does nothing with the metadata.

I’m afraid this is a real BUG

any suggestions??

Let’s wait for Devs to have a look at this. Maybe @KDonaldson can tell us more about how the rating is implemented? I use only Engine Prime to manage my collection, so didn’t see that issue yet.

Thanks for this fast reply. I hope @KDonaldson can help us

Ohhh my God how nice it would be if this RATING could also be edited directly with Engine OS (ie from the console). Hopefully this will happen soon.

1 Like

Hey @WallyDelux, thanks for looping me in here @NoiseRiser

Up until only a couple releases ago of Engine Prime, all tags were only saved in the Engine Prime database, they weren’t written back to the file at all. We changed this for the common tags (ie Song, Artist, Album) and write these back to the files (File type & permission dependant) but not for shared DJ centric tags (ie BPM/Key) because changing this on the file can cause unwanted behaviour when using different DJ applications with the same tracks.

I believe star rating has fallen into the second category, similar to how rating has been implemented in iTunes, rather than Rekordbox. I wish i could explain this in a bit more detail however i’m unable to at this stage we have some work scheduled for a future update to Engine Prime in regards to the information we read/write to/from files and overhaul the workflows around that experience and make them more tailored for a DJs workflow.

I hope this kinda helps? let me know if you have any further questions

Cheers!

5 Likes

@KDonaldson Can you tell us if we will finally be able to edit the tags directly from the Engine OS display? It would be a very convenient feature for some of us.

I’ve added some information about tag support that you might find interesting in a post towards the end of this thread : https://community.enginedj.com/t/right-click-write-information-to-tag/14828 Ratings information can be found in more than one field.

Any news about the rating??

engine prime does not read or write the rating in files (at least MP3). Engine prime has it’s own library were rating is stored. This is not working for most of us. The reason: you can not copy the rating from the file to EP or from EP to the file.

What we all like to see is just a TAG EDIT for the rating, just like artist, album, genre, etc. Those are stored directly into tyhe file.

Please please please… Denon CREW… make this possible!!! This would be a great christmas present for most of the DJ’s here.

1 Like

Just like any other firmware wish, it might happen

It might not

And no one public will ever know what’s in any firmware release until it’s ready for everyone to download.

It’s a lucky dip - but you’re right, it would be a Christmas present, if it gets released in the next 200 hours.

1 Like

I hope it very much.

But I lost hope when some private beta-testers wrote that the latest beta version still has a lot of problems. :cry: :sob: :confounded: :flushed:

That’s exactly what beta testing is for. No need for anyone’s emoticons to burst into tears. Fuses are there to protect owners and equipment. Beta testing is to protect all our public performances … when we’re allowed to do any again.

1 Like

Hi All,

Just search the forum with words “track rating”… many users have issue’s with the track rating. Please Dev.Team… help us…

The problem: Ratings from mp3 files are NOT copied into engine prime. What is happening… Wel, EP has a file of it’s own with all the ratings. You can only see the ratings if you set them track by track inside EP.

I have a few thousend songs, all rated. and EP prime does not read it.

EP can read all of these:

I don’t know why denon did not added the ratings tag.

here comes the bang:

according to the manual you can sync all of the below from your usb stick into Prime Engine. STAR RATING is included. BUT, it’s not possible to change ratings on the hardware. So, why the sync back function if you can not change the ratings?

A lot of dj’s want is:

1. Star Rating must be stored into the file itself (like Artist, Title, Genre, etc).
  2. Change Star Rating for multiple songs at once inside Engine Prime.
  3. Change Start Rating on the hardware.

I hope this post wil bring us closer to a perfect piece of EP software.

7 Likes

Hey, any news about it?

And now it’s December 2021 - any news about this?

Rating is VERY important, its omission is a BUG, not a FEATURE REQUEST! We need this fixed!

1 Like

At this point track RATING from mp3 files are NOT copied into engine. just tested it. But if you have your tracks rated in another program. rekordbox, serato, etc… you can use rekordcloud/lexicon to transfer your tracks to engine. including tags like rating

BUT, I hope engine-dj wil have a solution soon

I also join the request to be able to modify the rating from the so engine. as a dj it is important to highlight important tracks…I hope you can help us modify the rated from the autonomous controllers … greetings from Chile

1 Like

I add hot cues and tags in rekordbox and then transfer to engine prime… i have noticed that if i want to change anything or add tags, I literally have to copy the folder containing the tracks in music/rekordbox on my mac and then RENAME THE FOLDER of the copy and then i can add more i fo and it actually get transferred to prime… if i dont rename the folder i get no changes in prime even tho changes were made to xml in rekordbox… at least when i renamed duplicate folder, all my hot cues were still there… on another note… after bringing my rekordbox usb to a party and 80% of my recordbox tracks wouldnt load on pioneer cdj 2000s… im now not sure why i bother with rekordbox at all… its broken AF