Problem pitch bend since update 3.3 on SC5000M

Hi, no didn’t try it but I have discovered another thing that confirms at 100% it’s and firmware mistake…

For example, start play on deck A, music starts and pitch goes down, pass to deck B then platter stops then pitch runs normal, pass again to deck A then platter starts and pitch runs ok as well, if I push motor platter stops once push motor again platter start and again pitch goes down again, so for sure something is wrong on firmware…

Another issue, I have TIDAL and now everytime is requesting to register the device, I have another SC5000 and on that runs fine,

I would say thanks if DENON can solve the problem ASAP,

JB

Try running the firmware update again. If you did it OTA previously then try USB img method now.

I’m not experiencing any of these issues you are reporting.

It would also be helpful if you could download 3.2 firmware and test it.

Hi, I did already reload firm 3.3 via USB with exact same result, problem still there.

I’m quite afraid to download to firm 3.2…I’m considering to do but we know sometimes that kind of test is getting more problems than benefits.

JB

Unfortunately there is no way to confirm if this is truly a firmware issue vs hardware, if you dont try rolling back to 3.2.

I have two SC5000m here with me and i have shared a video earlier of it working with 3.3 as it should.

I have had a similar issue to what you are describing before and it is hardware issue not firmware.

Ok, I had try to download to 3.2 via USB and no way…system doesn’t load old version, still 3.3.

I need to say sorry but it is and firmware mistake, I have record a video were it can demonstrate if I swap from deck A to B and return to A the pitch problem is not appearing even the motor of platter stops on that process, only if stop the platter by motor switch then the pitch goes down.

I will try to load the video.

JB

You may want to contact the support team

Good luck

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your help.

I will wait for new firmware update, maybe will solve that problems, I have tried again to downgrade the firm and no way, looks like is loading the 3.2 version but after restarts the 3.3 version remains, unfortunately is like these.

I will try to make new vídeo with less resolution, then I will put here.

Once more, thanks for the help.

JB

Please reach out directly to our support channel directly!

Hi here is short video, is easy to appreciate at the start pitch goes down and after that operation deck A to B to A it’s running well and once motor is stop and start the pitch goes down again.

I will open a ticket in the support page.

1 Like

i just tested on my 5000m and i am able to go back to 3.2 without any issue at all.

• Download update file from the link below

https://imb-cicd-public.s3.amazonaws.com/Engine/3.2.0/Release/EOS/d1d6ed89e0/SC5000M-3.2.0-Update.img

• copy the file to a usb/sd stick root

• remove all other usb/sd from the 5000m

• plug in the usb/sd with the firmware to the 5000m

• turn on the 5000m

• go to settings > about/update > software update mode > options

Hi, did you seen the video? as I mentioned before is not possible that problem would be a hardware.

I have repeat again and it has been downgraded after the second trial, the think is I did that process exactly the same since yesterday, now finally I have loaded 3.2.0…mystery of life…

Tomorrow I will get news, thanks for your help.

JB

I have the exact same issue on one of my SC5000M units too but I assumed it was the grease issue and was going to get around to doing it at some point. My symptoms are exactly the same as yours regarding the pitch buttons.

For me it also seemed to start after an update however I’m still 100% convinced it’s the grease.

The pitch bend buttons on that deck don’t seem to do anything and if two decks are aligned they slip out almost instantly, even though you can’t hear any audible change.

The best way to test @Jordi_BM is to leave the deck spinning for around 20 minutes. This allows the deck to warm up and it should start working properly. Just put a long file on and let it play.

Let me know how that goes.

1 Like

@Jordi_BM please see this thread

Hi, thanks to all for reply’s.

well…how to explain, the question is “before” to upgrade 3.3.0 firm mine SC5000M was running perfectly, I know because I was using just the day before, after that upgrade even downgrade the firm to 3.2.0 now that problem remains.

I’m coming from electronics (old school), so mi feeling is something wrong on the ramp up amperage or voltage control over the motor for sure, the reason of mi impression is with that procedure to swap from deck A to B to A pitch and tone keeps perfect even is just switch on the power on the unit and it’s cold, no slowing down, if it was the motor or grease problem it will appear in any condition as soon as the motor and platter starts rotate.

Of course with new low viscosity grease will help due less resistance for the motor, but as far as I know that motor is Hight torque type for scratch, so no way to have that issue, as also the pitch of the musical note change as well when it not should be due the reset button is activated for keep the tone.

In fact I have done another test, running well the pitch in high torque mode I made some scratch and as soon i left play again the song the pitch goes down, so only way to get run properly is swap A to B to A and the is fine.

For me is clear something is wrong over the control of the motor, I hope DENON technical staff will read that post or listen to customers.

JB

finally you successfully downgrade

when i first had the problem i sent the unit to inmusic for repairs…the bill was close to 300euros.

a few months later same thing happened again.

so i took matters into my hands and degreased + regreased the spinning motor on both units…its perfect

there is a guide online

https://www.brightdotdesign.com/sc5000m

Hi, thanks for that valuable information.

I’m 100% convinced that problem is more the power control over the motor than the grease problem, I don’t say is not reason but just I’m continuing doing several tests always I have same result.

More evident is also changing the tone were it not should be.

please listen the music that test has been done just power on the unit, just cold start and no problem using that A to B to A (or B to A to B is the same).

JB

If this was the case then replacing the grease will not solve it.

I’m not saying your hypothesis is incorrect but degreasing and regreasing works well, not just for me but other people as well.

Maybe…just maybe…it would be a better use of time to finally do the regreasing rather than doing random tests that will not eliminate any variables?

Hi, just some updates from last conversations.

I was open a Ticket with Denon service and I’m con conversations regarding that problem, until now nothing related to grease up motor, just some checking’s were up to now all is OK but the problem still remains.

I need to say the DENON Engineer is taking care of the problem is very kind and he is trying to help me as much as possible, so I need to say many thanks for it.

Another test, just power ON the until but not play anything, wait 15 minutes and after that time all is fine, no problems with pitch or tone, jus start play and enjoy.

With that last test the theory the motor and remaining grease neds to warm up is loosing sense, because as I mentioned the unit is just powered ON that is all.

Please take that info juts for help, if I’m insisting so much of it is due the problem was arise just once I was upgrade firm, but after update even downgrade problem remains.

JB

1 Like

I think it is the motors need greasing as said above, I had same issue and got my motors replaced by InMusic just before Chistmas and your issue looks exactly the same, I think it has just coincided with the update. Also this issue happened to both my sc5000ms almost the same day identical age of 5years almost exactly. I was lucky to get a repair as I now have a mixer issue and they will no longer do an out of warranty repair just a month later here in UK. I got my old motors back so will service them for spares. The link above does show exactly how to service them. When I got my decks back one of the new motors was showing this already and they had to re-repair the bad one and on the service sheet it just said regreased new motor- now working OK. If Denon do not help please check the service/repair link posted by Mufasa the brightdotdesign link.