OK, some very interesting observations with a quick first look. The overlay shows available memory on the Prime Go+
On cold boot: 676.02mb available (white)
Load video 1: 275.69 mb available (yellow) then changes to 205.85mb available (red)
Load video 2: 87.20mb available (red)
Open Soundswitch: 49.28mb free (red)
Unload both decks: 453.84mb available (yellow) which then changed to 462.38mb after a while.
So it seems that memory is not being recovered properly when decks are unloaded (and presumably tracks finish playing) so I can see why it slows down and probably runs out of memory at points causing the audio to drop out which has happened on pretty much every gig so far. Possibly even the bug where it refuses to load tracks as the evening goes on. This is also just the tracks loaded in the decks, not playing with loops, FX etc.
Do bear in mind this was just a quick test on a cold boot with larger video files rather than mp3, but there does seem to be a memory management issue for sure as even with SS running it didn’t clear the full amount of memory with the decks unloaded. Also the Prime Go+ is only 2 deck, so I’d assume if the Prime 4 has 4 active decks and the same memory issue it will be even worse.
I’d have to run it on a gig with the overlay to see exactly what is going on.
I don’t use videos/mp4s, but another good stress-test is to load and eject long (60+min) mixtapes into all 4 decks and observe the RAM management. Combined with EL the values quickly dip into the ‘red zone’. This doesn’t automatically mean issues, but over a longer time, maybe(!) due to cache fragmentation issues, we probably run into swapping (and because to the rather slow dual-channel bandwidth, it becomes noticeable). Usually it should not affect the audio thread, the GPU and hence GUI rendering gets affected first = lags/stutters in waveforms. CPU always has priority but in worst case also gets affected, then you have audio dropouts.
Using just normal tracks, preferably on just 2 active decks, helps to keep the free & available RAM out of the yellow or red. This is how I performed my last gig and had no issues over 6+hrs. Doing a reset/reboot (e.g. while another musician/act/show is performing) frees up the RAM again, if needed.
Intersting fact: All Denon AiOs have 2GB of RAM, but there are variations in the CPU clock speeds. RK3288 defaults at 1.8GHz and this is what the P4/+ show, but my Live 4 has them slightly downclocked to 1.61GHz, interestingly. Next to the external power transformer (in the P4 the PSU generates additional heat), it results in far lower chassis temperatures. My P4 can get really warm on the rear underside, even when lifting the unit e.g. on feet which I use to raise the entire device.
My main collection (VDJ/MCX8000) is all video as I have a screen on the front of my stand that I use for most gigs. As the Prime is capable of playing them it doesn’t make sense to have a separate MP3 collection just for Engine.
None of the files are large in real terms, I compress them in Handbrake so even the largest ones aren’t generally any more than say 200mb.
I’ve noticed this since day one, but I have found it’s possibly worse when using the SD card rather than the T7, so maybe a file buffering issue perhaps? But then the audio dropouts are happening when both decks are already loaded so it can’t really be that.
I’ll definitely use the overlay at the next gig I have with the Prime Go+ so I can keep an eye on what’s happening with the memory allocation.
As Homeland101 stated it, hence I won’t post it here either. You can find out with some investigation.
And indeed, there is actually a (very silent) fan inside. When putting the unit under strong stress, you can (barely) hear it pulsing, ramping a bit up and down, but you have to be in a very quiet room to even notice it.
Sorry for my absence, I’ve been busy. I’m back with an update on the whole situation. After removing the Polish diacritics, when I tested 3-5 hours of gameplay at home, the console ran smoothly with minimal performance drops. Now I’m fresh off a wedding. I started at 1 p.m. and finished at 12 p.m., meaning 11 hours of gameplay, and this is the result at the end of the party, as seen in the attached video.
In the meantime, I added some songs from 2.4k to 3k. I used a script to remove Polish characters, then manually checked them by removing unnecessary tags with mp3tag – the title and artist remained, without the cover art. Logo.png was uploaded to the Engine Library folder.
A standard party, 30-40 minutes of playing, followed by a break. 95% of the songs were from my library, with a maximum of 5 from Tidal. The background music was from a Spotify playlist played from my computer via Channel 4 in the Line mode.
Throughout the entire event, I monitored the temperature from time to time through the diagnostic menu, the temperature was around 66-67 degrees, during home tests without a case it was similar.
Finally, while assembling the lights, the console played some background music, and then, for the first time since I’ve had it, it automatically reset. It just turned off and on. After that, it came back to life life on its own and stopped stuttering..
I will also add some observations regarding the removal of Polish diacritics, after this procedure I started noticing drastic drops in performance much later, over 5-6 hours of playing, than 2-3 hours with Polish diacritics.
after restarting at the end, during the event I noticed these lower values in MS above 400-1000ms
I noticed slight improvement with the newest update but still, after 5h of use it’s started lagging. I had to reset to recover. I can’t imagine to play club gig with no chance to restart the controller… Shame…
BTW. Is this a problem only for Polish users? I need to confirm this, but it seems that Polish characters have been removed from the keyboard.
not only for polish users - Flac coding was corrupted as well
btw, posted in another tread - I did stress test on 3.4 version with P4+ with Soundcloud - over 18 hours non stop playback (before that - scratch session from local sdd) no issues. Unit was getting lil bit hot but no major issues.
I will test that out with Finnish language, as we have ö and ä letters, and I am also getting slower performance on Prime 4+ after a few hours compared to first hours, even though I have a relatively small library and a really fast SD card, while using logo.png as cover art on decks, and normal cover art on tracks.
Happy New Year. Regarding the console, nothing has changed. It starts losing smoothness after just 1-2 hours, and after 4 hours, it’s a total nightmare to use. The temperatures remain stable—they are exactly the same at startup as they are after 4 hours of playing. During my New Year’s Eve gig, I played normally from 7 PM until after midnight. When the guests went out to watch the fireworks, I power-cycled the console (turned it off and back on), and the performance became smooth again. I played the whole event without using Tidal—everything was from my own library. I only used 2 channels for mixing, while the 4th channel acted as a line-in for music from a laptop during the break. So far, it seems that restarting it is the only way to deal with this issue.
My last gig lasted 9 hours. Not exactly pleasant, and it got really tough later on.
But the P4 ran absolutely flawlessly.
I usually use VDJ, but this time I used the MC4000 for a different event.
Everything ran in standalone mode, with just over 8000 tracks on the internal hard drive (SSD), and Tidal was also used for a few requests.
I use stems quite often, even though they don’t sound nearly as good in Engine DJ as they do in VDJ, and the interface is rather… well, let’s just say it’s not great.
Loops, cues – the usual stuff.
Twice I thought it was taking a long time to search.
There were occasional minor glitches in the waveform, but I don’t really care about them.
I exclusively use FLAC, although I don’t think the format is the problem.
Maybe there’s some strange junk in your file tags?
I’m very careful to only use the tags I need, especially in the comments, which I use for extended genre differentiation.
In your case, I’d actually suspect the files/tag.
MP3Tag is a great tool for clarifying this.
Are all the bitrates the same?
I once had a few files with only 22kHz, but they only played back half as fast, while VDJ didn’t seem to mind.
That’s why I know Engine DJ isn’t so tolerant.
What do your album covers look like?
Perhaps a tool embedded extremely large covers in the files?
These are just ideas.
If this were a fundamental problem, there would certainly be a huge outcry by now – then it would be a widespread issue.