Prime Go hum

I am having an issue with my Prime Go. There is a hum/hiss (white noise) that is constantly playing on the left channel. At first I thought it was an issue with my speakers, so I tried flipping the XLRs and the hum switched over to the other speaker. I’ve tried using different cables and speakers, and it is always present. Then, I tried recording a mix. The hum was recorded into the mix! This was with nothing connected to the Go except for my headphones. Mic inputs were turned off and turned all the way down. Aux input was turned all the way down. As I turn up the master volume, the loudness of the hum increases.

This hum is only present on the left channel. I have no idea what caused this. The Prime Go is the only DJ console I own so now I’m stuck with this hum at all of my upcoming events. Has anyone else had this issue? What can I do to fix this? Is the only solution to send it in to Denon for a repair? Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to resolve this. Thanks in advance!

Just wanted to come back here and share some more information, since I was able to get it resolved.

My unit has been out of warranty for over a year now. Decided to give it a shot and fix it myself. I never planned to do any major repairs, just wanted to open it up and make sure everything looks good.

Took me about 20 min to take the back plate off, fix it, and put it back together. I sprayed the main volume potentiometer with deoxit (this was a solution that a Facebook user has shared in the Prime Go FB group), tested it, no difference before and after. Then I thought I would inspect all of the connections between the boards. One of the ones that goes from the main board to the sound card (?) was halfway out. It’s the one that sends all of input signals (mics, aux, etc.) I just pushed it back in, tested it again, and this time there was no hum whatsoever. It works as good as new. I’m so glad I decided to fix it on my own and not take it to a repair shop.

This is for people who might have a similar problem and whose unit is also out of warranty: if and only if you feel confident, I’d recommend doing the same. There’s a bunch of screws you have to take out to take the back plate off, but once it’s off, you don’t really have to mess with anything else. Just inspect it and make sure that everything looks good. I wouldn’t recommend doing any major repairs on your own though. If you’ve tried my solution and it still does not work, then for sure take it in for repair.

5 Likes

A picture would have been usefull

I think this is one of the issues with “throw it in a backpack, sling it on a bus, let it get trampled by a herd of migrating perfectly normal beasts” devices.

(I’m not saying you do this with yours btw)

But “some” erm “people” might think that small and portable means “treat it like carp” :fish: and such things may happen.

Thanks @GrooveYa for coming back and explainig the solution for anyone else that may have the same problem! Appreciated :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say thanks to Groove ya for posting this. Noticed a hiss/hum on my prime go last night. Done what you said, opened it up had a poke around… couldn’t see anything unusual, then I literally just touched a red/black/white connection from behind the output board and the hissing stopped. Very strange, but happy as it fixed the problem.

I had this exact problem, and in addition a crackling when turning the master knob. Found this article, did the thing, noticed one of the connectors were slightly off, pushed it back. Still some humming, removed the red/white/black wire connector and put it back - screwed everything together, and the hum on left channel and crackling was gone. Adding image as per request.

A couple of notes:

• Take note of the short screws going into the holes marked with warning triangles.
  • You need to remove all screws from the bottom, and the connector side.
  • Remove any MD card
  • Be sure to remove the grounding clip screw entirely, and both booth output nuts.

3 Likes