Prime Go Battery Wear

I bought a Prime Go 2nd hand which is about 1.5 year’s old. Everything works well and it is in good condition. But the battery seems rather weak to me. After about 2 hours playing Tidal tracks it is down to 20%, then a warning pops up, saying it will soon shut down due to low bat. power, which it then does after a couple of mins. I’d expect to get some more playing time out of the remaining 20%. Also I do not even get close to the advertised 4 hrs. Is this regular behaviour, especially when th 20% is reached? Or is the battery worn out and a new one would perform better?

I get with my 8 month old prime go about 3.5h playing from offline tracks. I think your battery may be worn

Is the Prime Go battery replaceable by the end user?

For how long does the battery last if you only play pre-analyzed tracks from an SD/USB device? My guess is that it gives a better indication to as whether the battery is worn or not :blush:

If I just leave it on, without playing anything, it switches off after roughly 3hrs. What’s strange to me is that the battery indicator is still little below 20% then. Got a quote for a new battery for 210€. Which is too much for me to get maybe an hour more. And still it should be installed by an electronics expert.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, sounds like it’s too much effort/price for what you get, and tbh it doesn’t sound like it’s that worn :blush: I’d imagine once you start re-playing more and more tracks from Tidal, battery performance should improve, as it doesn’t have to analyze every track you play (given you have a media source inserted so it can save the analysis) :blush:

Open Prime Go, check what voltage and capacity is the original battery, then open Aliexpress and buy one same voltage and same or a little bigger capacity. Should be around then 50-80 usd. I change mine 1 year ago but i don’t remember the details, the battery is exactly in the meddle, takes 20 min to change.

PS: I just buy again a Prime Go, is the same battery from all new series of Akai MPC, 4S 18650 cells 14,8v 3350mah, the issue is the battery is personalised with the protection on the main board, so the only way is to open the old one and replace the proper cells one by one with similar or better ones from panasonic, then package back. So yea is not a job for anyone with technical knowledge.

4 Likes

With alliexpress batteries I would be very careful. It’s easy to buy a battery with no protection circuit and that is a serious risk of fire…

3 Likes

Nowadays all the lipo have the full circuit, just must be focus what you buy!

1 Like