Prime 4 vs the new XDJ-XZ

Hi,

Pioneer have released their new standalone unit the XDJ-XZ. Does it beat the P4?

NAH!

It’s still only a two channel standalone mixer, the other two channels are for external inputs.

You still have to analyse your tracks externally in Rekordbox not internally.

It still has limited audio format support (no FLAC, m4a, ALAC etc).

And it’s more expensive, £1899 :slight_smile:

Everyone keeps banging this drum I know, but when all the EP ‘issues’ are fixed, Pioneer won’t stand a single chance.

What do you think?

4 Likes

Are there? In here? I didn’t see one!

I have done and I honestly can’t see any! Would you mind giving me direct url link?

Cheers.

Ahhhhhhhh!!! Thanks, not in the P4 category, that’s why I couldn’t find any! I thought this would be the most apt category to discuss it, in case any potential buyers were looking to see the differences :slight_smile:

It’s no prime 4 . Just a semi-dumb clone.

I think pioneers release of their Xz will actually help sell prime 4s. People will look at XZ and ask what’s new for 2019 and will find nothing, coz there is nothing then will buy a prime 4

2 Likes

They are mate, but it’s taking a LONG time. They have a new software dev team based in New Zealand apparently, but yeah…

new software dev team

Is that the one based above the shops?

I would’ve thought a whole team would be getting things done quickly. Virtual DJ sometimes gets updated within hours when there’s an issue - and that’s just Stefane and Gwen (AFAIK).

I hear that denon dj will do the same with new controller i mean new jogs bigger 5000,but when will be the release i don’t know maybe AT NAMM

@kradcliffe I for sure like the method Denon used way more. It will prevent you from buying outdated gear when you know something new is coming up. It’s more transparent.

2 Likes

Test a Prime4 and you’ll know.

Pioneer is good if you are a rekordbox user, but the Prime 4 (despite all the lacks and bugs) is still THE standalone 4 chanels unit, and with a great sound quality, a big screen, fast and reliable.

3 Likes

One feature I like with the XDJ XZ is you can use the USB on channel 1 and 2. Channel 3 and 4 can use with SERATO DJ PRO, rekordbox or as a line for turntables ,cd players. I do not like you have to put the P4 in HID mode to use SERATO DJ PRO. Let’s say something goes wrong with your computer the music have to stop to put it back in standalone mode. or I can DJ with the USB on channels 1& 2 my friend can DJ we’ve channel 3 & 4 from their laptop

1 Like

is a mcx8000 with steroids, or what should be more or less the 2020 version of this,if denon gave him the promised stagelinq support in my opinion it would be a better option than the pioneer for both price and performance, Engine is the only weakness of denon for now

regards

I was surprised no one mentioned this yet.

Curious as to the reason behind the need for a reboot to connect to Serato on all the Prime gear.

I’d understand if it was a case of super tight integration eg moving Serato wave forms etc

The number of b2b I’ve done with USB users on Pioneer gear,

At least with the SC5000M I can reboot one player or even both for change overs, the P4 users can’t do that.

2 Likes

I think that the concept of the Prime4 was originally to be a standalone system, so it’s either a controller or a media player, probably by design it can’t be both at the same time. But who knows, perhaps Denon have an ace up their sleeve?? Me personally, I just want elastic beat grids (for transition tracks or live drummers), accurate bpm analyses and the ability to adjust the bpm on the unit itself. Anything else is icing on the cake. The biggest point of contention with the entire Prime series is Engine Prime itself, the entire industry knows it’s not ready for the “Prime” time and we unfortunately are settling for 2nd (if not 3rd / 4th) best. You can argue with Pioneer fanboys over everything else, but as soon as they mention EP - sorry… you lose.

4 Likes

I also feel Pio missed a trick.

They could have just badged it for all the main software eg Rekordbox, Virtual DJ, Traktor 3, Djay and Serato ready

That’s easy because Pioneer devices have older components, easier to develop on these. Despite this the ddj-xz is a very good standalone device… Too much big but very good, although I prefer my P4