Prime 4 View Button

Hi all,

I’ve had an issue with my P4, the ‘View’ button collapsed in and is stuck. I can get round it in use, but the problem is I need the view button to get back off the lighting screen. The microswitch works, if I press it with something thin.

The problem I have it’s that afaik it’s a complete stripdown from the bottom to get to the button to replace? You can’t just take the mixer faceplate off can you?

I could do with the button out.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and has fixed it?

2 Likes

The faceplate looks screwed on from the top, what happens if you take it off?

It does look screwed on from the front but from what I’ve heard it doesn’t come off like that, I’m a little wary about just undoing the screws in case they’re holding boards that will end up loose. If anyone can advise that’d be great!

the only way to fix it unfortunately is to act from the inside! removing the mixer board! if you have manual skills taking photos and videos while disassembling keeping the various screws in order and being careful when removing and reassembling the flats! very calmly and patiently I did it !!

It can be repaired, but it is certainly annoying. I would advise having it repaired through Denon support, but as already said you can indeed do it yourself from the bottom side if you are not afraid of a large number of printed circuit boards, screws and connectors. Not an easy job

Lightning can luckily also be reached by the Swipe Down Menu. You will see Lightning bottom right in the Control Center on swipe down. The only thing that really gets you stuck and that there is no alternative to is changing the View for the waveforms. Shift + View is unfortunately the only programmed option and this cannot be adjusted via touch only

Thanks all,

Yes, but annoyingly the only way back off the lighting screen is by pressing the view button :roll_eyes:

I’ve ordered a button, £2.81 but £8 odd shipping :joy: I’ve asked about a repair, not mega expensive to be honest but part of me fancies having a go myself, I’m not bad at that sort of thing and I like learning. if anyone happens to have photos of an opened-up Prime 4 to aid my decision I’d be grateful! Do the wires clip to the boards or will there be soldering and desoldering involved?

Any input on this will be massively appreciated!

There is Indeed no way to leave the Lightning screen with with the touchscreen only. I remember I suggested ‘Press waveform in Lightning’ to go back to performance view back in time, but this was never implemented.

Luckily there is a workaround when you are stuck in Lightning with a broken view button and that is pressing the Source / Eject button twice

I think that since the view button is very important, either to enter the lights mode, or to enter the search engine, it should be duplicated on the screen, so we could extend the useful life of the button that I think is most used, and also to be able to get out of trouble if it breaks in the middle of a set

1 Like

I think so too, or even just an ‘X’ on screen to exit lighting mode.

1 Like

@GavLyons Seen the workaround for this moment when the button is broken?

Welp this has recently happened to me! How hard was it to replace? : /

I’ve started swiping on the touch screen for settings now purely to save my view button after reading stories on here :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Ha! Well it’s certainly helpful we have that handy screen! I didn’t realize it was such a problem til Google brought me here when searching. Kinda a bummer!

1 Like

It does feel a bit flimsy when you press it, and im convinced the more drunk you get the harder it gets pressed, I only ever use mine sober.

2 Likes

I wish I could blame that! lol No drinking on my part. :stuck_out_tongue: And I’m very good to my gear. Overly good cause I want it to be good to me and also I’m usually gonna sell it to upgrade. haha

haha yeah its just flimsy then… hopefully its not too much of an effort to fix. Should be the toughest button on the device really, when you consider how much use it gets.

1 Like

That is 100% my thought! I wonder if the Plus got any upgrades there?

1 Like

Unfortunately i think its a massive effort to fix. I bought a new view button from InMusic but as far as i’m aware the unit has to basically be stripped from the back to get to it. Not a job for an inexperienced DIYer thats for sure!

If you use lighting, you can exit that screen by pressing the ‘Source Eject’ button twice.

2 Likes

Same issue with me. The button has sunk into the unit now. Yes, you can work around it, but it’s not ideal. The smallest button on the entire unit is the one that’s most likely to be pressed during a gig, and therefore over the lifetime of the unit, that tiny little button should have been designed to take thousands of presses. I hope the newer units have solved this issue by using a different button. For now, though, they could implement a VIEW button on the touch screen…? Just an idea!

4 Likes

That’s an absolutely glorious idea David!