Prime 4+ Stiff Jog Wheels

I own a Prime 4+ for almost one year and although everything is mostly fine, something is getting on my nerves recently.

I’m trying to experiment a bit more with backspin but it feels the jog wheels are way too stiff for that, to the point I’m getting concerned they are not within spec.

When I give all I’ve got, the best I can get is about 2.5 bars (or ~5 seconds) on a 120bpm song. Is that expected or is something wrong with my unit?

I’ve seen people complaining their wheels are too loose, some saying that newer models are less loose… I get that lacking the tension adjustment Denon had to have the wheels not too loose and not too stiff, but it feels like it’s still too stiff.

Do we have any official reference of how loose they should be?

I could use the backspin effect as a workaround, however with it I’d lose control over the volume, resulting in an unpleasant sound.

For comparison:

On a Numark Mixtrack Platimum FX I can get easily 8 bars (or ~16 seconds) on a 120 bpm song.

Yes, my Prime 4 is the same. The jogs are very stiff. I can barely do a backspin at all (not that it’s something I do regularly anyway).

The story goes that early units were loose, people complained, Denon adjusted (but too far).

I’d like mine to be looser, but I don’t fancy taking my unit to bits.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. It’s annoying but probably not enough to try and mess with the internals. If it was like the Mixtrack Platinum I’d be more than happy already.

I’m just concerned if this is something I should get looked at while in warranty or if that’s how Denon actually expects the wheel to be. Would ■■■■ to discover, after warranty is over, that my unit should have been repaired hehe

If someone from Denon can confirm or if enough people have the same situation, I’d feel more comfortable about it

You can’t say ■■■■ around here :smiley:

Rhymes with duck but starts with an s :+1:

1 Like

I always thought that was a bit strange. I get it can be used to describe something that’s not good but is it really that bad?

Anyway, what if inMusic decided to release a vacuum cleaner with audio out and DMX? How would we describe its main purpose :thinking:

2 Likes

Perhaps a future collaboration between Denon and Dyson ?

The Denyson SCV16 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

The Denyson of the deep (House).

2 Likes