Prime 4 master output w/ QSC rig

I have my Prime 4 hooked up via the Master XLR outs to a QSC KSub, which is then sending audio to two QSC K8.2 speakers. I have the Master level at center position, and in order to not go deaf, I have to turn all of my QSC equipment to the lowest possible gain settings - which looks to be right around -10db gain, anything lower would kill all sound. But even with these very conservative settings it’s still uncomfortably loud, and the Master level meters on the P4 barely hit -20db (this is with all channel levels set to the center position as well).

It’s probably a dumb question, but I’m just curious how is it that a -20db signal is almost blowing out my sub & speakers which are at the lowest possible levels? Is it just because these QSC’s are so powerful? (1000W on the KSub, 2000W on the K8.2’s). Is there anything different I should be doing with the P4 output, or possibly something inline to the sub?

Are there any more accurate descriptions or specifications for the output wattage? “Peak” is just about any number the speaker maker wants to make up on the spot? RMS would be better, but anyway, don’t worry about that right now, it doesn’t matter.

Hopefully on your speakers there is some other sort of input control, maybe a slide switch for adding attenuation l, in addition to the input gain rotary control? There may even be switches for input level mode instead eg: mic vs instrument , or line level vs Mic etc

These might even be push in/push out toggle buttons

Beware: Don’t make changes to any speaker switches or settings while you’ve got sound going through them. Switch off the sound input, make the change and then very slowly bring the sound back up.

You can get inline attenuation pads, which plug in on the cables between your prime 4 and the speakers.

1 Like

So I was a little bit off… According to KSUb specs, it’s got a 1000-watt Class D amplifier, and peak watts is 2000. For the K8.2’s, they each have a 2000-watt Class D amplifier, but I can’t find anything about peak watts.

I can only switch the speaker inputs from Mic to Line level, and currently they’re on Line level - Mic would be way too loud. Beyond that, there is no input attenuation, only an EQ section. Seems my only option is to keep the speakers at the lowest possible gain.

I will do some research on the inline attenuation you mentioned, thanks!

I just looked at the qsc 8.2 and it’s got menu driven settings , so there might be attenuation options in the menu.

Also it’s got an unusual A input, B input, C input arrangement and A inputs are the xlr/6.3mm combo Jack connectors - some speakers have different attenuation on those combo jacks giving louder results on the Jack inputs than on the xlr inputs , or vice versa, even though it’s the same socket

So if you’re plugging into A , try B and if you’re plugging into A using xlr, try plugging into A using Jack etc

Ah interesting discovery about the A/B inputs - they are both combo jacks actually, but just for fun I plugged into the B inputs and spinning a few tracks. Maybe I’m imagining things here, but it does seem that they are a tad bit quieter. Again, could totally be a psychological trick from all this testing :wink: But I’ll try this setup out for awhile and see how it feels for an extended mix session.

Of course! I’ve been DJing and producing a long time, I learned that lesson a long time ago the hard way :wink: Thanks again for the all the input (pun intended)

1 Like

Sorry. Didn’t know your background. I though it best to re-mention the safety bit - as I too learnt the hard way… I never did find that bullet tweeter … somewhere in the buffet, I think

1 Like

Denon DJ equipment has always (AFAIK) used the master VU connected post master volume, which means you have to crank the volume up in order to get a decent visual on the meters.

Maybe you could use the booth output to feed the speakers instead, enabling you to crank the master (to see the meters) but keep the booth volume low.

Always use a mixer in the middle when connecting to live audio. You can get a cheap a&h zed for a couple hundred bucks.

You want something that is able to remain powered on and grounded both before powering your sound on and after powering it off.

1 Like

@PKtheDJ - thanks for the suggestion, I tried that previously but didn’t like it because it basically renders the master meters moot. While it’s cool to see flashing LEDs, it doesn’t help when they don’t correspond to anything I’m recording internally or sending out to my QSC rig. I think ultimately the best option here is to continue using the master outs so the meters correspond to what is getting sent to my sub.

@hellnegative - I like this idea a lot and you’re right, it definitely provides more control and protection for the equipment. Thanks for the idea, I will have to look into this.

I also noticed that the MASTER output level is very high. I have activated the limiter at 0dB and if I keep the MASTER knob in the 0dB position I have to adjust the GAIN of the subwoofer to about 1/4 of the maximum position in order not to turn on the red limiter led.

The same is true if I connect the MASTER output to the amplifier for the full range frequency, I have to keep just under half the volume knob.

@hellnegative I followed your suggestion and ordered a compact mixer to put in front of my sub. As much as I love A&H (favorite mixer brand, hands down), I went with the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB just to save money and for the added benefit of the USB interface, which I’ll be able to use for radio broadcasting and podcasts. Thanks again for the feedback!

If anyone else is interested, the Xenyx Q802USB is only $80 on Sweetwater right now. I’ll post back here after I’ve set it up and have had some time mixing through it.

Isn’t adding a mixer between the prime 4 mixer and the speakers actually adding a an extra stage in to the signal path? So it could be adding a shadow to the sound as it runs through all those sub-mixers’ internal stages?

I’m not sure of the above, which is why I made it a question

I certainly wouldn’t be adding a low cost mixer between a high quality source and high quality powered speakers.

Something like the Behringer MONITOR1, which is just a passive volume control, would be my choice.

1 Like

The Monitor1 is an intriguing idea, thanks! But I’m guessing it wouldn’t provide the same protection to my sub & speakers as it is not a powered, grounded device, right?

I would recommend something like the allen & Heath zed10 at the lowest end.

I would suggest to the original poster that he make contact to the speaker makers.

It seems strange that with so many thousands of prime 4 owners plugging into (my guess) thousands of different brands of speakers, everything is normally great sounding with no comments of the music being too loud and no method in the speaker to control the volume to be lower.

It would seem more a QSC problem or feature than having to buy extra devices to add in-line to what should be the cleanest purist connect in the set up, going from the main outs to the main ins

I have QSC K12.2 speakers and some times used with dB technologies SUB 18H subs with no problems. From small to large events never had any problems with the QSC together with my Prime 4 or X1800+SC5000 setups.

1 Like

Maybe it is the subs input level which needs some adjustment.

I’m an RCF man myself, but with all this pandemic stuff going on, since I got the Prime 4 I’ve never used it through PA speakers.