Prime 4 keeps crashing, could use advice to maybe flash the device

Hi guys, first post here.

So I bought my unit mid 2022. In the beginng it “only” crashed about once every 10 hours, wich of course is still absolutely unacceptable. Since it showed me the error messages “no source drive available” followed by “media not ejected properly” I thought it was because of the SSD installed. So in the following months I tried multible SSDs with exfat and fat32 fomat. It kept crashing. I used beatport link and later switched to tidal. With every change in hardware and format I lost all my beatgrids and hotcues, and metadata like BPM and key, since engine does not allow to export these in any way. Over the months I always updated the firmware to the newest Version.

A couple of days ago after it crashed again, I removed the SSD. Now it crashed without anything attached to it. Can anyone please help me with this?

I recorded both of the last 2 crashes, please look at the Videos, where I also explain some of my frustrations. These happened in the span of 2 Days. I hope we can clear some things up.

1 Like

My Prime 2 does something similar to this I feel your frustration.

Mine has progressively gotten worse, to where I’ve sent hem video, photos and done everything support has asked me to do incl. format my SSD and start over. can’t get them on the phone or to respond timely.

Only one time my P4 crashed until last weekend.

I played on one of my best friends 40th birthday. After 20 minutes in the set the P4 rebooted without rebooting the hardware. Sound went off, all lights stayed on but the OS comletely rebooted… I played from tidal that time but also had my USB in.

After the reeboot it played well a while but after some time the screen froze every time i scrolled. I switched to my USB but same there…

Never had anything like it only since OS2.4.

FRUSTRATING! :thinking:

Sorry about the issues you are having. I’ve had my Prime for nearly 3 years with no issues and use it nearly every week for gigs.

The only time that I had an issue was when no source drive was attached (external ssd, usb, sd). I’m assuming that the P4 requires some for of storage attached in order to properly operate.

Crucial SSD’s has been my go-to due storage to their reliability. I bought a few and installed them into external HD enclosures and had only flawless operation from them.

Again, sorry to hear about your issues and don’t mean to minimize them. Good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks you for your input. This is insane to me. This is supposed to be professionelle DJ Equipment and they do not get their Basics right. Also no support or answer from Denon here.

I also have the P4 since 2019! Since then i had no major issues with no firmware since 2.4.

The unit is running with tidal from the beginning and also a 256GB Patriot very fast usb stick on which are nearly 160 gb in use.

I think i can say i use my Prime all year extensively at home incl. taking the unit on several gigs in a year and never it rebooted .

On another gig i had a platter issue on one deckside but that was because of poor grounding on a festival side.

I will try to cleanup my usb stick but i think the issue came from the OS, since i’ve seen no such major malfunction all the way.

:level_slider::+1::v:

My P4 does almost the same thing, mines restarts by itself after 45min or so Iv’e try system reboot , factory reset and nothing . I only use tidal and an empty usb stick to save hot cues and bpm from tidal other than that I don’t know what else to do , by the way this happened right after the 2.4 update , before that it was working like a dream I really like the unit but at the moment it’s just frustrating I fell you and I hope someone from support sees this and at least respond

We’ll since you tested with only 1 streaming service out of x that it supports, and non of the local file play options supported, I would really recommend to test everything

Thanks for your reply, this gave me hope that it is not that th Prime 4 is unstable in general, but only my unit.

2 Likes

So long story short, I called the store and send my unit back. I have now received a new unit and this one never crashed. So if you have simliar issues do not hesitate to insist on a stable Prime 4 from your store.