Prime 2+ wishes

As a dj seriously considering switching to Denon, I have a request for how the (seemingly inevitable) Prime 2+ be designed and targeted. Essentially, 2-channel controllers seem like they can be designed as “lite” controllers lacking some of the important features of the 4-channel controllers, or as “pared down” versions of the 4-channel controllers that still maintain all of the professional features in a smaller 2-channel package. I would very much like to see the Prime 2+ designed in that second category.

Ideally, I’d love to see a Prime 2+ that has all of the professional grade quality of the Prime 4+, including the normal and sweep/color FX features, full size quality screen (including tilt), multiple usb inputs for B2B sets, XLR outputs, at least one set of inputs, potentially the hard drive bay, and potentially the stem separation feature. However, this slimmed down version would lack the additional 3/4 channels, the zone outputs, and the mic EQ/effects, and would have fewer total inputs and mics. This should allow the unit to be smaller and cheaper, while still being fully professional grade and usable in any variety of 2-channel performance situations.

This would be the perfect product for many situations, especially the “local small club dj”, “burner party”, “independent festival”, and “warehouse party” type scenes where DJs often bring their own gear and value the portability of a smaller setup but don’t want to give up the pro-grade performance options of larger setups. Currently the XDJ-RX3 somewhat fills this gap, but it is overpriced, offers far less features than the Prime series, and does not get the same updates and usability improvements that Engine DJ seems to offer. If Denon DJ could offer a <$1700 Prime 2+ that allows for all the performance of the bigger setups but is simply pared down to 2 channels, that would be absolutely amazing. It would definitely bump me over the line into switching away from Rekordbox/Pioneer and buying into Engine DJ.

TL;DR: Please make a Prime 2+, and instead of making it a “lite” version of the Prime 4+, please make it fully pro-grade (fx, screen, input, etc) but simply pared down to two channels.

Firstly what makes you think there is a new Prime 2 coming?

Secondly have you actually used the existing Prime 2? I’ve found it to be a perfectly capable professional level device, including the screen, and effects section. It already has XLR connections for both master and booth too. It doesn’t need dual USB connectors because it’s not a DJ controller, it’s designed to be used as a standalone device, there are many other options in the DJ controller world.

1 Like

Not to be condescending but you’ve actually described the Prime 2 - it has everything a prime 4 has and is 2 channels. Maybe doesn’t have the zone output and a tilting screen but has the rest.

1 Like

Is the Prime 2 still available new? It’s listed on the Denon site but all I see in shops is “sold out” or “no longer available.” Maybe they consider SC Live 2 as the replacement?

Prime 2 isn’t available anymore and yes the SC Live 2 is the closest thing I believe but I’ve not used it. As a 2 channel smaller device I have the Prime GO for smaller gigs - in actual fact I did have to use it at a large gig once and it ran well, no issues and has all the professional ins and outs. Has all the engine DJ updates too with touch fx etc so for me having the prime 4 and Go are a perfect combo.

Yes, I have a Prime Go and it is surprisingly capable. The Prime 2 really looks to be the best option for functionality and portability. I do hope they bring it back.

Sadly I don’t think it will ever be replaced, and this speaking as a staunch prime 2 fanboy. The SC live will cover cheaper models with the 4 being the ‘pro’ option.

You’re probably right.

1 Like

I guess I am very much hoping that there will be a Prime 2+, since it would be a shame if there weren’t. I have heard fantastic things about it, as you mentioned, but since it is discontinued I have never been able to find one or try one. So yes, I would very much like to see a new one released that continues the value of the Prime 2 and keeps some of the upgrades of the “+”.

As for the Live or the Go, while I’ve heard good things I simply don’t need the extra size or weight of built in speakers and need reasonable sized platters, 8 performance pads, and ideally knobs for effects rather than just a touch screen. (I know people have differing opinions, but for most situations I much preferring having tactile knobs to perform with rather than moving a finger on a touchscreen.)

So I largely agree with what you’re saying! I just want the Prime 2 to come back with even more glory!

Point 100 people at a product and say “how can we make that product 25 bucks cheaper?”

You’ll get 100 different answers

The “pared down” version of things is to not just to cut down one element. It’s to make a big enough “price wedge” to let people know, and make people think about what they need and don’t need.

Ok when something is basically called “The Prime 2 channel” and “The Prime 4 channel” it’s difficult to think of any other differences. But what if they were called The Eclipse and the Polaris ? Would you still expect the only difference to be number of channels ?

If two products did exactly the same, but one cost less, who’d spend money on the more expensive version?

Similarly some will look at the more expensive model and will think, “I don’t need half of those features, what a lot of money I’d be wasting if I bought that.”

So a defeatured model with 2 channels, carious fx missing, some connection options gone etc then start removing buyer regret hurdles for those thinking that the “over featured” product is too complicated for them.

I am not sure but i dont believe there will be a Prime 2+ especially not below 1700. The Original prime 2 was price wise not that far from the prime 4. Since the prime 4+ plus is around 2600€, the prime 2 will not be 1100€ cheaper. Also there are various 2 deck controller from Denone/Numark which fullfill the needs of many DJs in the category. Prime 2+ would be a pretty small percentage.

But in the end i dont know anything, these are just my thoughts. Wouldn’t wait for a prime 2+ and consider something else

1 Like

The Prime 2 is a beast of a controller & as a Prime 4 user too I actually preferred mixing on the Prime 2 over the Prime 4. When I need to upgrade my hardware I would consider a Prime 2+ if it was on the market. Agree with most comments on here about the original post’s wishlist as most of that list including the “professional” specs are already on the Prime 2 which is now discontinued

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, I agree that most of the features I listed are in the Prime 2 original. But since that model is discontinued it seems like most of the two-channel products Denon has created are more slimmed down, budget, and less “premium”. Most of what I’m asking for is the return of a premium 2-channel standalone controller. My understanding is that Pioneer couldn’t keep up with the demand for the XDJ-RX3 for quite some time after it came out, which makes me think that there is definitely a continuing market for a pro-grade 2 channel controller. And with all the love you guys are sharing for the original Prime 2, I’d love to get in on that - if I could get a hold of one!

2 Likes