Prime 2 Output Cables to Reduce Interference

Hi All,

I only set up my Prime 2 in my man cave when I am playing a set, other than then, it is put away. To accommodate this, I have run a 25’ RCA cable from my stereo receiver (not a/v receiver) around the perimeter of the room and it stays coiled up until the next time I utilize it. I have noticed when I am not playing music, with the P2 connected and the receiver powered on, I have a hum (interference). After some research, it seems that I need balanced cables to eliminate the interference because my RCA cable is over the 3 meter (15’) length.

My questions for you are:

1. If I purchased balanced RCA cables, will these solve the problem even though the RCA outputs on the P2 are ‘unbalanced’?

2. If I were to connect to the XLR outputs (balanced) with an XLR to RCA cable, will this give me a balanced signal?

3. Also, one of the descriptions of the cables I found was " * An XLR to RCA cable converts a balanced audio signal into an unbalanced signal." Does this indicate that I will have a balanced signal until the point of the RCA connection on my receiver and will eliminate the interference?

4. Couplers & Adapters - Because of the length of cable I require, if I were to use an XLR M/F coupled via XLR to an XLR to RCA, or use an XLR cable with an RCA adapter, will either of these cause an issue?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the number of questions.

No, “Balanced RCA’s” don’t exist, RCA being signal and ground, there’s no way to have a balanced cable. Khadas ‘balanced RCA’ is essentially a variation of a XLR conector

No, only if balanced to balanced

No, you’ll have unbalanced signal

You won’t have any problems, but XLR ‘balanced’ output is higher voltage than RCA’s, so pay attention to your master output gain.

Essentially, you’ll only have balanced signal if both source and amplifier/receiver/etc have balanced circuitry.

Thanks rcatelli!

You definitely help clarify, but I have one more follow up question to your reply:

If I were to purchase Khadas Bal-RCA to XLR-3 Adapter & Cable https://www.khadas.com/product-page/balanced-rca-to-xlr-3-converters & 2 XLR cables, should this remove the interference even though not knowing if my RCA inputs on my receiver are balanced or unbalanced (assuming unbalanced)?

Unfortunately no, this will not remove the interference. Balanced cables DO pic interference, but due to reversed phase signal, the circuitry can cut the interferences out. It’s the ‘balanced circuitry’ wich cuts the intereference, not the cable itself. Sorry for the weird english, I’m from Brazil

this will help you understand:

1 Like

That makes sense!

Bottom line… the entire circuit has to be balanced from output to cables to input to create a functional ‘balanced’ circuit… got it!

By the way… your English is fantastic!

Thanks again.

1 Like

Rcatelli pretty much covered everything you need to know.

What is the brand of Stereo receiver you’re using? I think some kind of small sub mixer may help you here, you can do the balanced section from the Prime 2 into the sub mixer (that is next to your receiver) then connect from the sub mixer to the receiver. Unless of course your receiver has a balanced input (XLR or TRS jack connection)

I use this for gigs, its cheap as chips and will do what you need, you can run long balanced XLR to TRS jack cables around your room, then connect the jack into one of the channel inputs on the Xenyx, then you can use the RCA out on there to run a short RCA cable into whatever your hifi setup is.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0576

1 Like

You could also look for a di box.

You may find Budget friendlier options as well …

2 Likes

HI A GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR WILL ELIMINATE NOISE/BUZZING/INTERFERENCE ON RCA CABLES[quote=“DJ_Kosh, post:1, topic:48044, full:true”] Hi All,

I only set up my Prime 2 in my man cave when I am playing a set, other than then, it is put away. To accommodate this, I have run a 25’ RCA cable from my stereo receiver (not a/v receiver) around the perimeter of the room and it stays coiled up until the next time I utilize it. I have noticed when I am not playing music, with the P2 connected and the receiver powered on, I have a hum (interference). After some research, it seems that I need balanced cables to eliminate the interference because my RCA cable is over the 3 meter (15’) length.

My questions for you are:

1. If I purchased balanced RCA cables, will these solve the problem even though the RCA outputs on the P2 are ‘unbalanced’?

2. If I were to connect to the XLR outputs (balanced) with an XLR to RCA cable, will this give me a balanced signal?

3. Also, one of the descriptions of the cables I found was " * An XLR to RCA cable converts a balanced audio signal into an unbalanced signal." Does this indicate that I will have a balanced signal until the point of the RCA connection on my receiver and will eliminate the interference?

4. Couplers & Adapters - Because of the length of cable I require, if I were to use an XLR M/F coupled via XLR to an XLR to RCA, or use an XLR cable with an RCA adapter, will either of these cause an issue?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the number of questions. [/quote]

Now all of you have put me into research overload.

Sounds like a great idea… $56.00 Canadian on Amazon (discontinued at my local music store) and a set of XLR to TRS. It seems it would also give additional audio control between my P2 and receiver. I know I am currently using just RCA cables, but do you think I would lose any audio quality from the mixer to the the receiver via RCA with the input being XLR?

These are fairly inexpensive as well. My only concern is the output connection to my receiver… would I use a TRS to RCA cable?

Cheapest option of them all. $20.00 CAD from Amazon… and it’s returnable!

Nah that should be fine, just a short, half decent quality shielded RCA cable and you will be fine. Its only a record out so not sure what the output level is like but its going to lean more towards modest than full on, which should be ideal for you to then set the volume on your receiver.

I use the Behringer at gigs to bridge the connection between my Prime 2 and the house system, this allows me to reboot the Prime 2 without losing music to the room if needed. I also like the extra bit of levels control it offers too, one of the channels even has an EQ.

Do you think I could get away with TRS to RCA cables to utilize the Main Output on the sub mixer or am I over thinking everything now?

You could do I would say, for the price of the cables its worth a go isnt it… then just do the straight RCA and compare them, I reckon that’ll be fine for a short run though.

That little sub mixer has loads of other uses too, you can wire cheap controllers with only RCA up to big balanced sound systems by running it through there. In fact ive done that at gigs with a little Numark backup unit I have:)…you can even run a 3 piece band through it.

My brain must be overloaded… I didn’t even think of comparing the RCA vs. TRS/RCA… thx.

I like the fact it has its own gain and will show when signal is clipping as well.

Yeah its a great bit of kit… you’ll have to let us know how you get on with it:) im impressed with mine, and I got it open box return from Amazon so only paid £30.

After rethinking, I‘m not so sure the di box is the right solution. The intended use is the other way around, from unsymmetrical source to symmetrical amp.

Thanks for the clarification.