Pre-computed stems

Ive briefly tested it, given its only triggering some small one shot samples i doubt its going to be impacting the unit too much, its not syncing or anything.

Let’s hope profit “forces” record labels to finally release back catalogue tracks stem packs.

I love this guy. I am also into my extended disco rand rare groove. Fantastic stuff.

I think it could be a strong case of it all coming back again. I hope it’s the studio masters split into four tracks like what NI did. I had so much fun on the S8 and remix decks. They all melted together so seamlessly.

Lots of stems are stolen studio masters or handed out by people who shouldn’t have them (or possibly did for remix purposes but have since decided to share!).

There used to be a website that listed all the stems available online from remix competitions to official sources. I’ll try and find it as I used to get mine from there. I need to try and remember what it was called as it was years ago.

Rockband and/or guitar hero had poor encryption on their stems. If you put the games into any computer the files were unplayable. Put them into Audacity and suddenly you had studio masters in stem format. Lots were taken from those.

I’ll try and find that site. I even think Acapellas4u used to have them too.

2 Likes

Acapellas4u, now there is a throwback haha.

I still need to digitise a load of my acapellas from vinyl, got some beauties over the years.

Didn’t realise that about Guitar Hero:)

I used that site so much back in the day.

I digitised all mine but messed up the tags in a tagging program a few years back so wanted to do them again in wav format at some point. I’ll to it when I get a proper archiving stylus.

I’m not sure who discovered the games stems. I know it left a lot of the Queen stems open for most people. I have DJ hero for the PS3 knocking about somewhere still.

these days i think beatport or traxsource have most of the good ones, plus some lesser known originals too (everybody must be sick of that jack the house one by now lol), so thats where i get mine from.

The one under studio is where I used to get mine from. I think it’s an offshoot from the old “4u” site.

It would be worth loading some stems into sample slots and hitting play on them all to see how it runs.

1 Like

I’ve read some of the comments in this thread in regards to processing power. Keep in mind OP’s feature request is for pre-compute stems. Meaning there is little to no compute power involved.

I think it would be a lot easier to have Denon implement Deezer’s Spleeter open source model to Engine Desktop or OS and export the pre-compute data to Engine OS. After analyzation has been done within Engine Desktop.

1 Like

The processing power comments from me were in regards to being able to play the stems back, not to split them. I stated above that it would most probably be done in Engine DJ and exported.

Running four audio stems per deck (eight tracks in total) along with FX on each channel, drawing the waveform live (as it does) and lighting will take a fair bit of power, and that’s NOT splitting, just playing back.

They would almost always be externally split but can the units handle playback? There’s a lot going on and having them run smoothly while playback happens is essential.

Maybe it’s possible for stems playback or maybe not. A good benchmark is what the Akai Force can achieve with playback of multiple tracks together. This is the Primes closest family member and is pretty much the same inside. How it handles multiple tracks and FX with the hardware. This would be in a similar way to how the Prime devices would work with multiple audio files.

Splitting on device will definitely not happen but onboard will ultimately be at the hands of the units processing power. I feel it could do it but that’s nothing scientific. I know they are quad core RockChip processors with 2GB RAM and 8GB of internal storage.

The Akai Force is pretty much the yardstick here and I’d be confident in its ability to deliver.

1 Like

Mod break. Off-topic personal discussion. It did contain “stems”, but other than that…. Sigh…

I already did a mod break and I don’t do those very often. Please stay on topic. The flag system is in place to mark current posts so mods/staff can take a look.

3 Likes