Portable external mixer with EQ - recommendation for Prime GO

Looking for recommendation. I am a mobile DJ and do parties often offgrid. I have a Roland battery powered large speaker…and the Prime GO is of course also battery powered.

The problem arises - and I am sure this is not unique to this speaker - with the EQ. For this particular speaker, on both decks I need to crank the lows all the way up, and the mids and highs to 2 o’clock position. Sure, that works, however you cannot do any mixing tricks with the EQ on the Prime GO because it is hard to remember which position to come back to and the whole EQ ‘scale’ is skewed.

I’ve read that this is nothing new and people usually solve this by having a small external mixer where they set these things on the output to the speaker so it sounds good, and it leaves then the EQ on the Prime GO to be used for mixing.

As such…does anyone have recommendation for a small mixer that is ideally battery powered and has an EQ (all three; low, mid, high. Many only have 2) for the input channel (and not just for the mic)?

Cheers and thanks!

1 Like

Good low end requires power, buy a generator and “fugetaboutit”.

I have 5 generators. Not an avenue I want to explore for DeeJaying. No thanks.

P.S. I did say batteries ‘ideally’.

My suggestion would be to use a speaker that actually does have the ability to produce bass.

If the speaker you have now doesn’t naturally go that low, forcing more lows into it will only serve to stress the amp, lower the battery life and maybe even damage the driver.

Rather than turning all the EQs up, you’d be better off reducing the high and mid.

1 Like

You are not entirely wrong. but the speaker was $800 and there are few speakers that are this mobile and operate on batteries. I have blown my budget for now, so this is what I have to work with.

When I play songs from my phone, the bass is there. I know this speaker can do a decent amount. But for some reason, when paired with the Prime go, it just lacks base. However I am going through different input then for the phone.

Your idea is solid; but if I did what you say, there would be just no bass at all.

All this however is moot. The point still stands that it is a good idea to have a small secondary mixer for various reasons. So I am still asking for advice on which to get. Of course I can search online myself and I have. But sometimes one can miss a gem of an item that others had an experience using.

Cheers!

Is there any particular reason why you’re not giving us the name of the speaker? BA330 perhaps?

Which outputs are you using on the Go?

From what you’ve just said, it seems sensible to try the Go in the input which gives bass from the phone.

Yes; the particular reason was because I was not asking to diagnose my speaker. I was asking for recommendation for a small external mixer, because for many reasons, it is good to have one. The speaker was a backstory.

The speaker is Roland street cube ex. Yes, yes, not the best speaker for DJ gigs. I get it. But this is for a highly mobile set; and I already had it. This is not for high fidelity studio reproduction.

And yes I will play with the inputs more. And even if I get it right; I am still looking for an external mixer recommendations. Small, with 3 band EQ and battery powered, or at least usb powered because I loathe non standard AC-DC bricks.

1 Like

It helps to know what you’re using, because then we can see the feature set of the product…

Please answer - which outputs are you using on the Go?

Also, now that I can see the inputs on the Cube, which one(s) gave bass and which didn’t?

I’m not offering mixer suggestions as it would only be from Google.

Master out on the GO; On the cube input was used labelled line-in. That one gave no bass.

Did you try the one on the LEFT? i.e. the MIC/INSTRUMENT channel?

For the LINE/IN the manual says “1/4-inch phone type” … i googled that and it shows

Does your jack look like that or this

Thank you for your detailed post. I used the LINE IN on the right. I did not use the INPUT on the left. I do have all the different jacks indeed and can do all sorts of combinations with them.

I am now busy installing my Starlink and redoing my home network from scratch. In few days I will come back to this and test each input again and will report back.

Thank you!

1 Like

Oh one more thing…thank you for showing the pictures of the various plugs…and the diff with rings which leads to 1 ring mono and 2 rings stereo. I indeed have both types of jacks, depending in the input on the speaker I use, some are split to left and right, so I use 1 ring jacks and other inputs are combined, where I use the 2 ring jack.

Just clarifying in case this is helpful to someone.

Cheers

Spent the day rearranging my space as well. Looks like a bomb site still

TS (1 ring) - Unbalanced

TRS (2 rings) - Balanced

1 Like

Not to be confused with Stereo and mono.

1 Like

Hm! Really? I thought 2 rings meant stereo. So there is no TRS for stereo?

There is on consumer gear but most often on Pro gear, TRS 1/4" and XLR are for a balanced output that helps to reject external noise and interference.

I understand XLR are to reduce noise, yes, but what you are telling me is that if it is PRO TRS, then it is likely only balanced but NOT stereo? So what do they use for stereo in that jack format?

And how does one tell if the jack is consumer, and thus TRS will be stereo?

This is confusing :frowning:

One only has to read the specs/manual and have a basic understanding audio signal flow. Here’s a basic reference…Balanced vs. Unbalanced Audio: What's The Difference?

Thanks, I get it now. Basically, TRS, which has 3 poles, can either carry balanced mono sound or unbalanced stereo sound. The TRS tip itself can do either. The important part is what kind of cable you plug into the TRS (and what kind of input the receiving plug is on the speaker)

I got that part working alright and have the right cables and all. I just did not understand this important nuance. Thanks for pointing it out and for the link.

Cheers

1 Like

The other difference is that most of the time a balanced signal is hotter than an unbalanced cable at it’s nominal level. Here’s link to a pdf all about audio’s signal and routing for studios and live setups. It’s dated with a lot of info that you probably don’t care about but it’s very comprehensive for understanding the electrical engineering behind audio signal flow. Use it as you will. https://bgaudioclub.org/uploads/docs/Yamaha_Sound_Reinforcement_Handbook_2nd_Edition_Gary_Davis_Ralph_Jones.pdf

1 Like