📊 Poll | What are your thoughts on jog wheel tension adjust?

They mean the tension & friction Wheel Adjust on the non-Ms.

Has anyone here tried the Rane Four? I’m curious how the platters on that feel compared to the SC6000s

I have tried them at a local store. They feel smoother but don’t have any tension adjust.

Oh weird, I would’ve expected it at that price point.

I think the jog wheel needs improving overall.

The difference between my sc6000s is massive, one of them rocks all over the place and the other is better but I think they still don’t feel premium.

For an average punter looking to switch over, feel is very important and the first thing someone would do in a shop.

Just my opinion, the players themselves are superb obviously.

1 Like

On my 2019 Prime 4, the jog wheels are very stiff, making it impossible to perform a backspin, for example. However, for scratching, they are decent.

I noticed that they are stiffer compared to other Prime units I have tested. I’m not sure if this is an improvement in the later released models or if it’s adjustable by disassembling it, which I have never dared to do.

1 Like

Sounds like massive production variances. Also, if you look at a service manual for a CDJ, you see elaborate methods for not only adjusting & calibrating jog tension, but measuring it. I didn’t see anything like that in the Prime player service manual I looked at.

For that matter, I didn’t even see any audio tests in the service manual for how tones & waveforms should look like played from the device, or what measured response & low distortion that should be reached or exceeded. There seems to be no measurable QA/QC capability goals at all for any category of performance that are expected to be met.

On old Denon DJ gear service manuals, there were at least some of these, but not quite as numerous or nuanced as Pioneer DJ’s. For instance, there were motor & platter measuring processes and adjustments for the DN-HS5500, but I don’t recall any substantial audio tests or any way to change the pitch fader center.

For me the P4 jog wheel resistance is far too light for scratching. Coming from a vinyl background I’m used to being able to do a quick backspin to reset my cue point, but even if I just barely spin it back the P4 goes way past the start of my sample, every time. It basically feels like when a vinyl record would warp sometimes and go a bit bowl shaped. I’m not aware of any way to adjust it so I didn’t vote on that question.

I’ve got three non-Ms and they all feel different, so when people start sharing their preferences on how the jogs should feel using a certain Prime model as their reference, I’m not sure it’s a common reference we can all even agree on for that purpose given these differences from unit to unit.

2 Likes

@madmax

my prime 4 is also very hard, it does not soften with use and it is very difficult to do a backspin of more than 2 bars

2 Likes

Does anyone else not touch the jog wheel… ever?

The SC6000 Jog Wheel adjust feels really cheap. The one in the player I use the most is already completely worn out and the jog wheel doesn’t instantly stop anymore when on the highest setting.