Playlists are not displaying by file name even though I have set title to file name alphabetical order and not meta

I have a prime 4 and have been working with folders and now I want to move to playlists.

I order my playlists with a letter at the beginning A - Z and I do this in the file name, it works very well for me and whenever I open the folder it’s all in the order I need.

But for playlists it appears to be doing it in a random order and I cannot work out why.

I checked the settings which is set to Filename so the file name should be displaying which would put it in the order I need but it’s not.

Any advice on what I can do to order my playlists alphabetically by file name so it’s in order of A - Z ?

Does that format sort correctly if you put them in Excel? i only ask because sorting of certain values can get a bit funky in databases.

Edit: looking at your screenshot i can’t see a problem? you have a numeric value at the start of the top file so that would be above everything else, then the rest are all in order? do you have other ones that are prefixed with letters earlier than M that are not in order? can you send a pic.

Edit 2: What is your sorting option on the top right of the library screen? i use BPM or Date Added usually so not sure what the default is.

It works fine for folder files…just not for playlist no idea why?

Those all look in the right order to me? using the first 4 characters of the filename to sort? are you expecting something different?

Yes my post is regarding the playlists not being in order and the folder file lists being correctly in order, yet there is only one setting and that is set to filename so my question is why are the folder files in the right order but the playlist files randomly organised? Above at the top you can see the playlist screenshot against my most recent reply the folder files list which is using the same format but it’s perfectly in order.

Why is the same setting not effecting the playlists aswell?

This is the playlist from Engine prime software on my laptop you can see these are in order so why not on the Prime hardware?

Have you looked at the top right hand corner of the library view where there is an option to change the sort order? What is it sorted by currently?

To me, it looks like all your screen shots are of individual tracks and not playlists?

Edit: hang on, playlists have to be manually sorted before export, they are in whatever order you place them in on the desktop app.

If you look above that screenshot is from the desktop engine prime app and you can see it’s in order. I then saved that to my usb stick into the playlist section but it’s not in the same order

It is possible that the screenshot above is ordered after I clicked title on the desktop engine software which is why it’s showing in the correct order I think previous to me taking that screenshot it wasn’t in order. But surely you can do this on the hardware too?

Yes, tap the sort by icon top right then choose title, it’s next to the arrow symbol that you can tap to choose ascending or descending.

Page 45 of the manual.

The only user guide I know about has only 36 pages here:

Is there a different one somewhere?

If I click the green circle icon with an arrow inside it doesn’t give me any option it just makes a change and there only 2 options none of which appear to be title as it’s not ordering them alphabetically. To be clear this issue is isolated to playlists only if I go to a folder and view a file list there it’s correctly order alphabetically.

Yes every manual for each different version is here. You need the right manual for your firmware version.

It’s not the arrow you need to press, it’s the word to the left of the arrow.

Amazing I clicked the word that was defaulted to BPM changed it for Title and it’s worked, it’s solved the issue! Thanks so much :slight_smile:

1 Like