Pitch adjust increments with latest firmware

When I purchased the sc5000’s June 2017 the pitch adjust increments where 0.01 @+/- 4% with the latest firmware the increments are now 0.05 @ any pitch range. How is this higher a resolution than the original firmware? When it is taking bigger steps than previously. Forget about the math involved. The 0.01 was far superior to the current 0.05. I purchased these units because of the 0.01 resolution and now the firmware has made the turntable less accurate in regard to manual beat matching. Can i downgrade the firmware?

1 Like

Unless you’re mixing against an a device with analogue pitch eg, like an old vinyl record player , then less fiddly pitch resolutions are better.

In my opinion Denon have dropped the ball on this one. Moving from 0.01 adjust to 0.05 and actually saying the reason is that 0.05 is more accurate? Nonsense. I was mixing with 0.05 adjust on cdj800s in 2005 and seen the limitations back then. The 0.01 adjust was another thing that denon had over pioneer and now they’ve taken it away. Denon users should have the option within the pitch settings for pitch adjust resolution.

I would love to hear the opinion of one of the denon guys on my last comment ^

3 Likes

I’ll pop it on the list for the development list to consider.

The maths of it is however, that despite the psuedo safety net that a multi-decimal place pitch increment might seem to offer for “came back to the decks half an hour later, and my mix was still beat-matched”, any BPM on any digital player can be matched to any other BPM on another digital player at the new pitch increments.

Less pitch increments along the travel of the offer less chances of the dj selecting the wrong pitch adjustment +-

1 Like

However, a lower setting (0.02) has worked fine on many devices, including the club standard AND previous Denon generations, for more than a one and a half decades :slightly_smiling_face:

I think a device aiming to be the new standard should offer no less.

5 Likes

Agreed Kevin! its a step backwords

1 Like

Curious as to what the pitch resolution was at the higher pitch ranges on the old firmware. ?

Also, are you saying it’s 0.05 increments even at 50% and 100% ranges now? Again, what was it before?

Nail on the head Kevin. “A Device aiming to be the new standard should offer no less” than 0.02 which is the current industry standard. CDJ pitch resolution has evolved from 0.1% steps (Late 90’s) then 0.05 (Early - mid Noughties) and then 0.02 onward. The step size inevitably has to get smaller for a more accurate beat match and this happened as technology got better. Going back to 0.05 is like going back in time 15 years. Bring back the 0.01% adjust

6 Likes

"Less pitch increments along the travel of the offer less chances of the dj selecting the wrong pitch adjustment "

I don’t understand the reasoning behind this.

Pioneer, oddly enough, gave the same reasoning at one point.

However, if I have 0.1 increments on a CDJ-1000mk3 on Wide with a Red Book CD and a CDJ-2000NXS2 with a WAV file off a thumb drive at 0.5 increments on Wide, even if the pitch fader occasionally has difficulty staying on the 1000mk3 at a specific spot to get that 0.1, it’s actually only going to wobble between two increments.

That means the 1000mk3 might have an average accuracy across an entire night of 0.2 increments on Wide, assuming you’re not actually looking at the pitch readout ever and gently easing it back to the increment you want when on its own it moves to an adjacent one.

That’s still more than double the pitch resolution on the 1000mk3 with a CD over the NXS2 with a WAV file: blind effective pitch resolutions of 0.2 versus 0.5 under high vibration conditions.

Right or wrong pitch adjustment shouldn’t be a consideration. Use your ears and move it back if it sounds like it’s drifting.

You’ll have to adjust later less frequently once it’s dialed in if the increments are smaller.

Pitch adjustment is a means to an end

and something you adjust as you go, not something you dial in to a specific quantity right out of the gate.

Now personally I don’t think 0.05 increments is so bad, but if you can get increments better than that at the lower pitch ranges, I’d recommend that.

If you’ve got 0.05 at the wider increments, then that’s amazing for those ranges.

I’m still waiting for a response on the increments the SC5000 originally had at the various ranges as well as currently at the wider ranges.

Well, what is it now at the various ranges?

Coming from vinyl, it does feel that the pich adjust on the SC5000 could do with more resolution. Even when two tracks are seemingly set to the same BPM, they will still drift apart. This doesn’t happen if both tracks have the same BPM to begin with, i.e. the pitch adjust is at 0%, or at the same value on both decks.

I have only used the v1.0.3 firmware so can’t comment on earlier versions.

So what are the current pitch resolutions at the various ranges on 1.03? 0.05 increments on all of them?

That’s correct. All the pitch ranges, (4%, 8%, 10%, 20%, 50%, 100%) have the same Pitch Resolution/step of 0.05%

That’s pretty darn great! Is this beneficially simplifying the maths somewhere in the programming? Or is this like some memory usage issue that prevents 0.01 at 4% and 0.02 at 8% while keeping the other higher ranges that fine at 0.05? If necessary, 100% increments could always be dropped down to 0.1 increments… that’s already pretty touchy with 0.1 on a 100mm 14bit fader. Well done, though. I think I’ll have to get one of these units and test the jog wheel out on them.

Pitch resolution is not 0.05 at the higher ranges in v1.0.3. Also, in the earlier firmware it was indeed 0.01 increments at 4% and better than 0.25 increments at 100%. My two additional players that just arrived have the older firmware and I will probably not update them until this is resolved since I don’t need Rekordbox conversions or anything like that.

Analog-like resolution capable on 10bit (and above) faders of this length and demonstrated on both the Pioneer CDJ-1000mk3 and the Hanpin players (at least at 100% range), is the following per direction, or times 2 for the entire length of the fader:

|100%|1000|0.10%|

|50%|1000|0.05%|

|20%|1000|0.02%|

|10%|1000|0.01%|

And this is for discrete, repeatable positions, not randomized toggle values over the same spot, though it’s capable of being barely bumped and cause a tiny change.

It drops below 0.01 increments for 8 and 4 percent, so those would just be dropped since deep pitch is already possible at higher ranges. I’m curious what limitations (processing, memory, etc?) prevent this from being implemented more readily.

Nonetheless, the following is enough on this length faders simply to prevent significant intentional movements beyond just barely touching the fader to have an effect rather than be ignored:

|64%|320|0.20%|

|32%|320|0.10%|

|16%|320|0.05%|

This type of performance should be the bare minimum for this length fader, and the key to this is these are not random toggle increments over the same locations, and no significant movement (i.e. movement of the fader you can not only feel but see) will fail to produce a pitch change. You do not want inputs being ignored and requiring you to watch a pitch readout on screen.

time to change the record. just how many times are you going to reply to your own ramblings. if other peo have stopped adding to your comments its maybe coz theyre bored of the sbject matter. same goes for you talking bout other gear when it’s a decade old or older - wait for someone else to reply. if no one replies then its probably a sign that youre on your own in the level of interest for that non talking point.

Community flag replied to.

We’re looking at anti-bump plug in’s for the forum as it can be annoying, in some situations to see a thread brought back into the “recently active” list, only to find that it’s the same person who posted last, just posting again to draw attention or provoke reaction. Let’s all please make replies to other peoples comments, but not our own.

Temporarily closing thread for 48 hours cooling.

1 Like

This topic was automatically opened after 36 hours.

Sorry to bump an ancient thread but was wondering if anyone knows what the outcome of this was? I’m thinking of picking up sc5000s but I am used to pitch faster on 1200s and 14-bit faders in Mixxx with a controller. Did the resolution get rwverted to 0.01% at 8% range (just over 10-bit). Cant find this info anywhere. Have used ■■■■ resolution faders before and hated them. Thanks in advance

The actual pitch resolution now on the long Prime faders is better than 100%, similar to 6% and 10%, but not quite as good as 16% (that has 0.05 discrete, repeatable, full 10 bit increments at that range) on the Pioneers, such that very slight movements on Prime’s long faders at any range will not necessarily register a change. It also utilizes toggle increments to spoof the resolution a little more like on the Gemini MDJ, and therefore moving back over the same spot will produce different values.

At 8%, I believe you effectively get 0.01 increments with the toggling values… assuming you’re watching the display to see if you’ve triggered a change and are willing to do trial & error. So, it’s not even quite 10 bit pitch resolution, but it’s usable, and you can get finer changes in spots than Pioneer if you’re determined to dial in such a new value.

The long fader length is slightly wasted given that the smallest movements don’t always produce an input like you would see on a true 10 or 14 bit fader over MIDI with software that can properly register it, but the Pioneers have the same issue at 6%, 10%, and (especially) 100%, Prime has more ranges to choose from, and you can dial in, like I said, more unique values.

Interestingly, the Prime GO apparently has the same pitch functionality as the longer fader Prime units but in a shorter fader, which makes me think it might be using a similar fader as the MixVibes U-MIX CONTROL PRO.

Hey thanks for the reply. I guess the only option is to try to get a go on some and see how they are. I think what you are describing is what I want to avoid though, if the fader moves the pitch should move in my opinion. Thanks a lot!