OMG. I've just realised why the engine dj software can't relocate tracks (easily)

Not sure what use this information is but… I’m writing a simple file fixer utility that will help people relink their tracks when they’ve moved the source mp3 file. I thought that there was just one database that listed their tracks (the files in the Engine Library/Database2 folder). Anyway, after a bit of digging around, it appears that Engine DJ need one database in EACH of your mounted volumes, so when you move a file from one volume to another (which is - let’s be honest - a fairly basic requirement), not only does the file move, but also the entry needs to move from different databases. So this makes the process a little more complicated.

Not that this shouldn’t be a bare minimum of requirements in the tooling for music management, but I can at least understand why it’s a tiny bit more complicated.

This can be “proved” by if you have an external drive and add music from it, the engine db creates that set of database tables on that drive instead of keeping it somewhere more central. An interesting design choice, but hey ho.

Anyway - the goal is for me to write a free utility which can easily relink your music when you’ve moved them. Mainly so I can move my music but if I can I’ll release the utility to others if they are interested.

7 Likes

Didn’t someone already offer this free a few months ago? A sort of “Engine Toolbox” ??

Although, that may have been during version 1 of the database.

There have been a few but I haven’t seen any that actually are really free (apart from a short trial period) and that can actually work across different volumes. I am happy to be corrected on this though as that way I wouldn’t have to write my own :confused:

1 Like

After just going through a bit of my own personal hell with an iTunes database corruption, I have to chime in here to also say, a relocation option somewhere would be unbelievably amazing. : )

3 Likes

You’re wasting your time. There is a feature request on this topic, which is among the highest rated. Therefore it will be highly regarded by Denon DJ who knows the database better than anyone else. The light may be much closer than we think. :smiley:

3 Likes

I know we’ve got some good things coming, but boy would it be amazing if that were one of the things. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, Denon never shares their roadmap, but they proved recently that they do listen to us (users). So many nice things, that we asked for, got eventually implemented. A bit of patient waiting, can be rewarded if your request is highly voted on. Plus they also throw in some extras and some bug fixes as well. So check on the feature request area, and You can see what people like to see the most on the next updates. Vote for what You want to come ASAP, and we see what will come.

5 Likes

I would love for them to actually implement this, but the more I look into the database, the less trivial it is… so it’s not surprising they keep punting it into the long grass.

Each volume has it’s own database. Each database has it’s own ID. Each track has it’s own ID that is unique (only) to that database. Each Playlist requires not only the id of the track but the id of the database in which that track is located. Each database contains all the copies of all the playlists regardless if the tracks are saved on that volume.

What all of this means is that “moving” a track across volumes isn’t as simple as I would have hoped. However, it is possible. I’ve already managed to write something that locates missing music on the same volume; I now just have to extend this to locate tracks on alternative volumes. It’s not GUI based as yet though.

Also, if they don’t share their roadmap or priorities, it might still be months before we see this fundamental feature implemented. They even closed down the request for it as they said it went off track, but the reason it did was due to the fact it was so popular !!!

1 Like

FWIW, the database structure is super straightforward and is documented here : Engine Library Format · mixxxdj/mixxx Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

… or it could mean that it is useless to add votes, because maybe some news could soon appear on the horizon! :smiley: :grinning: :smile: :grin: :laughing:

Sounds like speculation, but hey, who knows.

8 Likes

when using rekordbox they also had the same problems, and one day they did a big update with lots of improvements and new database, surely Denon will do the same in the future

I cannot believe this was not a base line option. Like my Mac in this case is getting pretty aged and i wanto move just move this over to my new windows laptop, this should be 100000% easy, instead theres not even a built in option.

It’s not frustrating, it’s infuriating. (but only this part… Prime 4 is actually pretty dope) Denon needs to get thier head in the game. I’d recommend the Prime 4 all day and everyday, but Just this one feature on the software blocks me from even wanting to recommend.

Yeah, I feel your pain. The fact that this “modern day” software won’t work on modern day formatted drives or network drives and doesn’t even have a relocate feature is laughable. The Denon(InMusic) incompetence is real. I’ve had a new laptop for the better part of a year and haven’t been able to move my library and add tracks at all. It’s a good thing I’m just an old school DJ who doesn’t have to depend on this shite software for a professional living.

The software writes a database to each drive it uses. It’s a straight forward & necessary design choice actually.

No, as the backup function only backs up the database from the primary drive. This is the opposite of straightforward and necessary. There should be just one database that has links / references to all of the source data. It makes things like moving music from volume to another volume a lot easier (or “relocating” music tracks that have moved). Instead, there is a song and dance (pun intended) needed to be done in order to provide this utility and hence, it hasn’t been implemented by the vendor (third party solutions exist).

You are mistaken regarding the way backups work. When you make a backup, there would be a backup made of the respective drive/s that are connected. Obviously if you decide to do a backup without any other drives connected, then Engine would make a backup of the primary drive. If there wasn’t a database on each drive, how on earth would the hardware be able to search for music on that particular drive. It is absolutely necessary to have a database on each drive. In my opinion it’s a very logical & straight forward approach. Third party vendors attempt to improve on Engine (there is always room for improvement).

1 Like

I can’t believe I am going to have explain this to you further … but it’s very simple to demonstrate.

1. Connect an external volume - make sure that music on that drive can be seen in the app
  2. Click backup in the app
  3. Attempt to locate the backup of the data that has been created on the external drive.
  4. Realise it doesn’t exist - as the app ONLY backs up data on the primary volume

Now, I grant you that SOME data is duplicated (playlists for example), but the data regarding the actual Track IS NOT backed up. Frustratingly (in order to resolve this disagreement), the onus is on you to prove it does exist, because I can’t prove that something doesn’t exist. If it does exist, then I’d be happy to be mistaken btw.

Thanks for explaining your situation to me. Clearly your backup & mine work differently. In my situation, Engine makes a backup directly on my external drive called “Engine Library Backup”. So unfortunately I can’t realise that it doesn’t exist… because on my external it does! I really don’t know why it differs between us. A very very very simple workaround for you (in the meantime), would be to simply copy, rename & paste the database on your external. Backup done.

Ok - perhaps that’s because I’m using MacOS and you might be on Windows ? Appreciate your confirmation that it does work as you expected. I’ve almost finished the first version of my app that will help resolve relocated files on the same volume and if that proves popular I’ll update it to fix files that have moved across filesystems.

1 Like