New to Denon what mixer to pair with SC 6000

Nice, hope it proves to be a worthy companion :+1:

Except the PX5 won’t work as well with the RMX1000 as the X18xx will.

Why? It has send and return - that’s all that it needs to run the external fx unit.

1 Like

Wow I just realized you replied to this six weeks ago - thanks for the comments!

That definitely answers my question. And maybe I’ve just convinced myself the DB4 summing is less dynamic than an analog mixer, but either way it sounds like the Denon will only make that issue worse. I may move to the PX5 myself based on this discussion; my main gripes with the DB4 are no effects loop, no MIDI out, and the fact that I’m going to lose the sound card the minute I upgrade my computer which will be any day now. The PX5 solves some of that but it loses the input flexibility the DB4 has (the matrix but also I use the SPDIF inputs for my Denon SCs). I also prefer the FX layout of the DB4 but that’s a given. I’ll likely hold off a while longer though; even used it’s hard to find a PX5 under $1400 right now.

I should add that based on what little I know about this I agree with you about the filters; I haven’t heard the Ranes but I have a Vermona pair that I love (the main reason I want an FX loop); I’m currently running my 1200s through them directly. Which means I can only use them with actual vinyl :person_shrugging:t4:

Xone96 and a delay pedal works really well for me. I wouldnt mind a djm 900nxs2 or v10 either though

Sorry to bump this topic but do you (or anyone else know) if this can be solved by adding a dry/wet pedal between the RMX-1000 like for example: One Control Mosquito Wet/Dry FX Blender. I own a RMX-500 and i’m doubting about the X1850, DJM-900 (NXS/NXS2) and the PX5.

Also I read alot of good stories about the Xone 96 but the lack of FX are holding me back. Anyone with experience hooking up external FX units which are stil simple in use?

I have a rmx1000. Why you ant a wet/dry pedal between the fx and a mixer? Does Your mixer have no send/return?

My current mixer Reloop RMX-90 DVS doesn’t have send/return so I’m looking for a replacement. In my search I found this topic: RMX 1000 connecting with XONE 92 – Pioneer DJ (however I own a RMX-500) which is why I’m wondering if the PX5 suits my needs or if I should go for the x1850/DJM-900.

If You want to use rmx1000 with px5, djm900 or X1800/1850 - all these mixers have send/return - will work great with the external effect. Xone 96 also is good for this type of effect (master send/return loop). Xone 92 - will be more difficult, as there is no dedicated fx loop, but You could work it out using aux and return channels. Just routing from the mixer will be less intuitive.

On RMX-90 your only option is to put the fx unit between master and the amplifier.

1 Like

I have a Mastersounds Radius 4, its not too expensive and something a bit different.

The linear Radius 4V looks fantastic too, and they have a well routed send/return option.

So I managed to break 2 faders in 1 month on my x1800. It’s a bit old, but the process to replace the fader has me a bit jaded.

I’ve also been having tons of issues with realiability of the mixer firmware. It won’t auto-detect my players like it should. I have to manually fix the deck assignment every time on boot. This has been an issue over a year, and Denon support hasn’t given me any update since I opened a ticket 3 months ago.

It’s really hard to recommend the Denon mixer, even if it comes with all the enhanced functions. Last thing you’d want is for show time to come around and some bug ■■■■■ up your set (has happened to me uncountable amounts of times now).

I love the mixer, I love the players, but the firmware needs some serious work, and the design needs some professional input.

Get yourself something like a Xone or a Pioneer mixer if you can live without all the bells and whistles.

Just to get a counter review here. I used x1800, sold it with my sc5000, and now have the x1850 with my sc6000. With both Mixers i dont experienced any issues. Especially if you are using soundswitch, the 1800/1850 with its standalone compatibility makes a huge difference in usability, than using the laptop for soundswitch.

Once, i had a Problem with my firmware on the X1800. Had to reinstall the firmware couple of times and used some other ways described here X1800 not updating, wont restart automatically - #7 by djyg102

But to be honest, if you had something like a Rane MP2015 in your hands, a X1850 feels cheap, but a DJM900 is only ok thant. But if you have the Price difference in mind. A DJM900 Nexus 2 does come with a 1000 plus price tag compared to the Denon. However, other flagship mixer are better than the Denon one, but also cost more.

Some thought, i think the next Mixer from Denon is pretty sure on its way. The X1800 launched in 2017? And the X1850 is not more than a fix for some problems and reducing the flashy buttons. So more or less we have now 5 years the same Mixer. Everyone says the Players are on Point, but the mixer does not stand against other flagship Mixers. On the Player side is not much improvement right now possible, but they can generate new revenue with a better mixer. Maybe the X1800/1850 is in a couple of months not an issue any more, for new buyers.

In terms of durability do you think that Mastersounds Radius 4 mixer will last a long time? Its a really beautiful mixer. After using it does the build quality stack up to it’s price tag? Thanks.

1 Like

Yeah it’s really well built and I expect it to last as long as I want to keep it and longer. The dials are all fantastic with a nice resistance and it sounds lovely.

I’ve just done a 90 min 45s set on it and even 70s disco records sound great.

Yeah I just watched a youtube video on analog vs. digital mixing and honestly I couldn’t believe the difference in terms of quality. I’m sure that because you’re running each source through a purely analog chain the music sounds much richer. Definitely gonna put that mixer on the wish list.

So I have a bit of a story regarding that.

I use DVS, namely the Rane SL3 with Serato. You can use through mode on there to play real vinyl but as its passing through the card you end with a digital sound into the mixer. I did some experimenting with the phono cables plugged directly into the mixer vs through the card and the difference was stark. Essentially it loses all that stuff that makes vinyl appealing, the warmth and ‘analogue sound’, also you’re not taking advantage of the quality phono pre-amps that are installed on the mixer.

Anyway to get around this I bought 2 extra RCA/Phono cables and some RCA splitters, the cables came with ground leads connected too. What ive done is place the splitters on the input to the sound card then essentially daisy chain the phono cables directly into the phono input on the mixer. Meaning I can now switch between line and phono on the mixer and get DVS or a true analogue in feed from the 1210.

Ill post a picture of the wiring setup once Imgur is back online.

Images added for context.

Interesting work around to keep the SL3 out of the “Mix.” Here’s that link on mixing in Analog vs. Digital:

The thing that really catches me on that particular mixer though is the craftsmanship and the apparent quality of the Pots. I love the design of it too. It’s like perfect for a permanent house set up in the living room or something.

1 Like

Yeah im really pleased with it, i thought i would miss channel EQs (that i still use all the time at gigs) but honestly it was like learning a whole new way of DJing, which for someone 22yrs deep was a revelation, and in honesty i enjoy the simplicity of it, especially for long blends with a 4/4 beat.

Thanks for this video im going to give it a watch.

I know for a fact having owned the x1800 I had a bunch of audio issues with it, I own the Prime Go, Prime 2, a pair of SC5000’s with the Rane Sixty-eight, a pair of SC5000M’s with the Rane 70 A-trak edition. I gave up the Prime 4 due to hardware issues, freezing, dropouts, WiFi, etc. But I had purchased the x1800 because on paper it is the “bee’s knee’s” of DJ mixer’s I see a few x1850’s and x1700’s on the Guitar Center used gear website, and really considering it, I enjoy using the Rane Sixty-Eight because of the Rane sound and the fact of user replaceable parts, I have heard people gripe moans about the crossfader on the x1800, but if you have a 4 channel mixer , battle style scratching is not on the forefront, you get a 4 channel mixer to mix, in my opinion, that is what my Rane 12mk2’s and Rane 72mk2 are for. Ok using a Rane Sixty-Eight or Denon x1700 eliminates the whole use of Serato DJ Pro, with the Sixty-Eight only can be used with a lower early version of Windows 10 and early Mac OS. And not tested yet but not sure if those said units can be used with Virtual DJ. But the whole premise of having the SC’s and Prime series is for the whole stand alone, use of external/internal music libraries without a laptop. Allen and Heath DB 4 IS A BEAST the effects and quick sample are cool and go somewhat hand and hand with the SC’s cue, loop, roll pad control, and with these mixer’s having digital inputs, 4 is a blessing, yes the Pioneer DJM 900 series has it and so does the DJM2000. As for sound could be a choice of cables the higher end xlr cables do produce a solid sound and the bit rate makes a difference also, I do notice while using songs from Tidal and songs from my BPM collection the same songs are different in the output of sound. I may just purchase the x1850 which may have some potential flaws, maybe like most equipment. Is still the most feature packed mixer since the Urei brand mixer’s of the 1980’s and 1990’s that soujd was flat as heck but as DJ’s we all have that ear of tweak magic to make it sound good.